• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Also, from a purely practical perspective, I don’t recommend going off skiing before the lesson unless you know how get back into skis if they’ve come off, on the trail, without assistance. I know this sounds totally asenine, but the reality is that I’ve seen people get really stressed out by this.

I'm don't think from reading the OP's post that he is quite at that level of beginnerness.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t think he’s a beginner, either. But after 25 years, he probably doesn’t remember to make sure the heel piece is down before trying to get back into a binding, either.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One very important thing to know about equipment change from "straight ski" days is that skis with the modern shorter side cut radii need to be kept on edge and turning, even if only a little. Otherwise they will hunt for turns and feel unstable.

Very true. That's an issue for day 2, not day 1, but I predict you WILL find this disconcerting. Forewarned is forearmed.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you would be wasting valuable lesson time if you do not get out on skis for at least an hour or so. Otherwise you may spend the first hour of your first lesson just remembering how to balance and move around on skis. I would think it will feel awkward at first?

But, even as someone who is self taught, I suggest you take at least one lesson. Don't they have ski offs to assess your level and then assign you to the inappropriate group?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’m (finally) returning to skiing after 25 years. I’m 48 now, and took my only lesson at age 12. From there was self taught. At the point I stopped skiing (thanks to a move to Texas, as well as a couple of kids), I could ski just about anything in Southern California. So basically, a Colorado bunny slope! It wasn’t pretty, and the fundamentals sucked, I’m sure, but I could get down without falling.

Flash forward to now, the little kids are grown and gone, and we just bought a condo near Keystone, CO. I also bought a season pass and did a season rental on skis. My intention is to do a lot of 2-3 hour ski sessions, rather than subject myself to long days without being in ski shape.

Here’s my question... should I start with a beginner lesson, or would an intermediate lesson be more appropriate? I’m also not opposed to doing both. Also, would it be worth skiing a few hours prior to the first lesson to get my skis back under me?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Ok, 25 years!? You are basically starting from zero.

You might not need or want to be in a first ever beginner group lesson but on one of the lower levels for sure.

Yes, It would be best to get comfortable with your gear on the slopes before your lesson no question.

TS
Keith W.

Keith W.

Booting up
Skier
One very important thing to know about equipment change from "straight ski" days is that skis with the modern shorter side cut radii need to be kept on edge and turning, even if only a little. Otherwise they will hunt for turns and feel unstable.

Well, yesterday was the day I finally returned to the slopes. I quoted the above because I didn’t understand this before I got out there, but I do now.

Here’s how the day went down. We met at the Keystone adult group section about 9:30 and a number of instructors came out and chatted with us. I mentioned the 25 year layoff, and they really didn’t know what to do with me. Eventually, they took 8 of us up with 2 instructors and after an assessment, broke me off into a 4-person advanced-beginner group. Frankly, I feel that I remembered way more than I expected and, other than sore calves today, I feel good. I didn’t fall once, and felt pretty in-control. That being said, CO green is about what I remember as Southern Cal blue, no question. We had a late lunch, followed by a last run, and I was encouraged to ski a few days, then book lesson 2 in the intermediate class. I’m planning on posting up near the low-intermediate sign before that lesson. I expect the next lesson to be a real challenge, but that’s okay. No ego here.

As far as keystone, specifically the ski school, I was very impressed. Zero attitude from anyone, and I learned a lot. At first, I kept picking up my downhill ski on turns, like I did long ago, and was given an excerise on slightly dipping my downhill ski toward my pinkie toe (as per the quote I referenced). That totally clicked. And, being tall, I was encouraged to lead turns with my gloves, which kept my center-of-balance forward. Great stuff, and definitely what I needed.

So, successful first day back. Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. All very helpful. Can’t wait to head back up next weekend!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I'll second Kneale's suggestion -- sign up for the season lesson program at Keystone. Now that a bit of the cobwebs have been blown out, some repetition, with a bunch of feedback, will help you not only adapt to the new equipment, but also overcome the previous bad habits you likely picked up. And while it is no longer the good deal it used to be, it is still a good deal.

Mike

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I’m (finally) returning to skiing after 25 years. I’m 48 now, and took my only lesson at age 12. From there was self taught. At the point I stopped skiing (thanks to a move to Texas, as well as a couple of kids), I could ski just about anything in Southern California. So basically, a Colorado bunny slope! It wasn’t pretty, and the fundamentals sucked, I’m sure, but I could get down without falling.

Flash forward to now, the little kids are grown and gone, and we just bought a condo near Keystone, CO. I also bought a season pass and did a season rental on skis. My intention is to do a lot of 2-3 hour ski sessions, rather than subject myself to long days without being in ski shape.

Here’s my question... should I start with a beginner lesson, or would an intermediate lesson be more appropriate? I’m also not opposed to doing both. Also, would it be worth skiing a few hours prior to the first lesson to get my skis back under me?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Just prior to any lesson you take go skiing prior to the lesson. One of the most useless lesson I “teach” is when someone hasn’t skied in decades and their first 4 runs are with me , when they have no feel,balance or comfort for the sport yet. If these students would just even an hour prior to the lesson they would get much more out of it.

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
I think this whole thread is a solid reminder that everyone can benefit from a lesson. I’ve been skiing for 35 years and I make a point of getting at least two days a season with an instructor. We can all improve and having someone else’s critique is supremely helpful.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I think this whole thread is a solid reminder that everyone can benefit from a lesson. I’ve been skiing for 35 years and I make a point of getting at least two days a season with an instructor. We can all improve and having someone else’s critique is supremely helpful.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Buddy of mine returned after 25 years hiatus and bought a IKON pass. He acquired some Volkl AC50’s then logged his first day a Stratton. Day 2 today at Killington he ripped the mountain with our crew. Told him he had a classic New England flair to his skiing and he was good to go. All he needed was slope time. Played on Superstar, Cascade and even a few icy bumps. Returning to skiing can also be easy for some

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, yesterday was the day I finally returned to the slopes. I quoted the above because I didn’t understand this before I got out there, but I do now.

Here’s how the day went down. We met at the Keystone adult group section about 9:30 and a number of instructors came out and chatted with us. I mentioned the 25 year layoff, and they really didn’t know what to do with me. Eventually, they took 8 of us up with 2 instructors and after an assessment, broke me off into a 4-person advanced-beginner group. Frankly, I feel that I remembered way more than I expected and, other than sore calves today, I feel good. I didn’t fall once, and felt pretty in-control. That being said, CO green is about what I remember as Southern Cal blue, no question. We had a late lunch, followed by a last run, and I was encouraged to ski a few days, then book lesson 2 in the intermediate class. I’m planning on posting up near the low-intermediate sign before that lesson. I expect the next lesson to be a real challenge, but that’s okay. No ego here.

As far as keystone, specifically the ski school, I was very impressed. Zero attitude from anyone, and I learned a lot. At first, I kept picking up my downhill ski on turns, like I did long ago, and was given an excerise on slightly dipping my downhill ski toward my pinkie toe (as per the quote I referenced). That totally clicked. And, being tall, I was encouraged to lead turns with my gloves, which kept my center-of-balance forward. Great stuff, and definitely what I needed.

So, successful first day back. Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. All very helpful. Can’t wait to head back up next weekend!

Before you take your next lesson, consider getting in contact with some of the Keystone instructors others have mentioned in this thread or the instructor you had during your last lesson especially if you were happy with him or her. Ask them if/when they’re teaching group lessons and if they’d be willing to teach the intermediate group you’re planning on taking. If so, take your lesson on that day and make arrangements to meet during the linei up. I did this with Don Duran a few years ago and had a great lesson. PS Don’t forget to tip your instructor especially if you feel like you had a good lesson.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January