• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Toyota GR Corolla

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I wouldn't say they're overweight necessarily... They're safer and more feature-rich than in the past. If your goal is performance, which for most mfg's it's not, then that's a different story.
No, I'd say they are too damn heavy! 'Feature-rich'? Now you sound like a damn politician.
I would call it lots of crap I don't want or need, much of it nanny state mandated. Hell, I'd take roll up windows if available. The Morizo should be closer to 2800 pounds. I don't require a TANK to feel safe driving around in, I still do a lot of my miles by moto after all. 10 plus airbags in cars now, really? Strapping in is more than enough thank you. 'Safety' in automotive terms is a way to make cars heavier, more complex and much more expensive than need be.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Here's a great video from Everyday Driver comparing GR Corolla, Type-R, and Golf R:
I do remember hot hatches well. Simply, FUN, affordable and available. Had a first gen GTI.
These cars miss the mark big time in all but one category!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
No, I'd say they are too damn heavy! 'Feature-rich'? Now you sound like a damn politician.
I would call it lots of crap I don't want or need, much of it nanny state mandated. Hell, I'd take roll up windows if available. The Morizo should be closer to 2800 pounds. I don't require a TANK to feel safe driving around in, I still do a lot of my miles by moto after all. 10 plus airbags in cars now, really? Strapping in is more than enough thank you. 'Safety' in automotive terms is a way to make cars heavier, more complex and much more expensive than need be.
Now tell me how you really feel!! :ogbiggrin:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thing's heavier than my 'vette and has 136 fewer ponies.
On the plus side it has a proper parking/emergency brake and not an electronic one like most new cars (but so does my 'vette :ogbiggrin:) .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Bill looks at some of these older cars through rose colored glasses ...or spectacles. ;) . Yes, I loved the simplicity and rawness of my NA Miata, but a 99 NB was better in every way ... and lighter, more powerful and could accelerate with the AC on. And I was to get another Miata, it wouild be an ND RTFB. We are indeed in the golden age of vehicles, for those how are are still living in the 1960's, you are fools to think those cars were better in any way other than maybe styling.

I do agree that there are too many nanny options, I know how to use mirrors, I don't need a back up camera, let alone one that is mandated. Power windows? Yup, I hated reaching across to open or close the ones on the passenger side. I love my heated steering wheel on cold rides to the mountain. Don't get me started on bundling options, if I want to special order a vehicle and I want no sunroot or a cloth interior or a special color and as long as it's in the catalog in some capacity, in todays age of computerized assembly likes where a Corolla can be built next to a Tundra or other Toyota, why not?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I think Bill looks at some of these older cars through rose colored glasses ...or spectacles. ;) . Yes, I loved the simplicity and rawness of my NA Miata, but a 99 NB was better in every way ... and lighter, more powerful and could accelerate with the AC on. And I was to get another Miata, it wouild be an ND RTFB. We are indeed in the golden age of vehicles, for those how are are still living in the 1960's, you are fools to think those cars were better in any way other than maybe styling.

I do agree that there are too many nanny options, I know how to use mirrors, I don't need a back up camera, let alone one that is mandated. Power windows? Yup, I hated reaching across to open or close the ones on the passenger side. I love my heated steering wheel on cold rides to the mountain. Don't get me started on bundling options, if I want to special order a vehicle and I want no sunroot or a cloth interior or a special color and as long as it's in the catalog in some capacity, in todays age of computerized assembly likes where a Corolla can be built next to a Tundra or other Toyota, why not?
But @Philpug I think you missed my point. It IS the simplicity and rawness that I love about the NA. I even got AC delete on her. And your ND RTFB may well be better in every automotive review category but it's to refined. I picked my REX over the GTI back in '10 for the exact same reason, it was raw and uninsulated in feel.
As for golden age, well only in some regards. They are indeed capable of making great cars but unfortunately have so many mandated restrictions that they fall short of the potential. And very contrary to many I don't have any use for 400 and up hp cars for street use.(but agree they have the right to be built as do the EVs to those that WANT them) There is also the 'threat' of the end of the ICE line because the 'government' says so. Which is so obviously absurd as it simply can't work at this point in development and infrastructure.

Sponsor