• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Toyota GR Corolla

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I like that it comes in a manual.
I like that it has gone back to simpler vacuum controlled waste gate and the simpler oil control valve.
I'm still trading in my ex-garage-queen corvette though. (Yeah I store it away from the salt spray in winter, but it's a regular car that lives outside in the summer, and is driven hard)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like that it comes in a manual.
I like that it has gone back to simpler vacuum controlled waste gate and the simpler oil control valve.
I'm still NOT trading in my ex-garage-queen corvette though. (Yeah I store it away from the salt spray in winter, but it's a regular car that lives outside in the summer, and is driven hard)
EDIT: Where did the not go?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Cool car if it can be had at msrp or below. But any markup and this car makes no sense since the whole point is that it be affordable.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
EDIT: Where did the not go?

Slipped away? (tie it better next time :) )

Cool car if it can be had at msrp or below. But any markup and this car makes no sense since the whole point is that it be affordable.

Yeh, I see pretty much everything under the GR brand as Toyota feeding online influence clout.

I.e. no chance of non-halo pricing, no chance of mass availability. Because if it was either of those, it would be, by definition, ordinary.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Why must they always do 4 doors with the hot hatches now? This would be interesting in a 2 door hatch. Well, if it was actually available and certainly not above MSRP.

When a manufacturer creates a nice car at a fair price it does us no good if their dealers then GOUGE them to the public. They need to reign them in!

I've got something new coming in on order...

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looked out of curiosity and only 3 dealer ones on Canadian Autotrader and all 3 have 460km or more (so there’s been some driving done on them) and they all want close to $70k CAN/over $52k US! One private one with 1000km for $65k.

Can get a 23 Golf R for around the same price.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looked out of curiosity and only 3 dealer ones on Canadian Autotrader and all 3 have 460km or more (so there’s been some driving done on them) and they all want close to $70k CAN/over $52k US! One private one with 1000km for $65k.

Can get a 23 Golf R for around the same price.
I guess some people just want a rare item. :huh:
I paid 38,500 CAD for my vet with ~25,000 miles on it, and it's a lot faster and IMHO better looking too.
On the other hand it may be more likely to lose my licence get me bigger tickets (fingers crossed, knocking on wood). Mind you I'm sure it is fast enough to lose your licence with; stunt driving max fine is 10,000 CAD, and doing 150 kph (93.2057 mph) on any road in Ontario will get a stunt driving charge.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Currently the 2023 Honda pilot Sport, list $52k, is going for $73k. F that... I'll take huge discount on a VW Atlas thank you...
They are asking $73k what it will go for is another story.

What I don't understand is how people are getting financing for these vehicles. It used to be that banks would only go 110% of MSRP ... and that included taxes and licencing fees.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
They are asking $73k what it will go for is another story.

What I don't understand is how people are getting financing for these vehicles. It used to be that banks would only go 110% of MSRP ... and that included taxes and licencing fees.
HELOC...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I guess some people just want a rare item. :huh:
I paid 38,500 CAD for my vet with ~25,000 miles on it, and it's a lot faster and IMHO better looking too.
On the other hand it may be more likely to lose my licence get me bigger tickets (fingers crossed, knocking on wood). Mind you I'm sure it is fast enough to lose your licence with; (Stunt Driving max fine is 10,000 CAD) and doing 150 kph (93.2057 mph) on any road in Ontario will get a stunt driving charge.
One of my Bentley customers was caught going 148km/hr on the 401(which would feel like 90km/hr in that car!) and got caught less than 2 years later about the same amount over on the 402. Lol
Delayed the second trial so that they were over 2 years apart and kept his license and car still!

I too would much rather buy a used true sports car than spending that much on a 3 cyl Toyota Corolla! Seems kinda insane to me.

I Paid $34k plus taxes for my 2018 Mini JCW in 2018 with 1500km on it and similar ones are still selling for just under $30k now. My tuned JCW has been issue free with similar power to the GR but has 500lbs less to lug around.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The Morizo edition shows the car in it's best light technically. I'm surprised at how portly even this version is with all the weight reduction efforts. The gearbox and final drive are changed from the other versions are well. Rear seat delete is certainly welcome and many others should follow suit at least offering that factory option.

Cars, like most of the US population are overweight killing both performance and mileage at the same time.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a great video from Everyday Driver comparing GR Corolla, Type-R, and Golf R:

The Civic Type-R is the best and most serious driver's car, but they would both buy the GR Corolla because it's more fun. The Golf R is great but not really in the same performance class.

It's fantastic these cars exist!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Morizo edition shows the car in it's best light technically. I'm surprised at how portly even this version is with all the weight reduction efforts. The gearbox and final drive are changed from the other versions are well. Rear seat delete is certainly welcome and many others should follow suit at least offering that factory option.

Cars, like most of the US population are overweight killing both performance and mileage at the same time.
I wouldn't say they're overweight necessarily... They're safer and more feature-rich than in the past. If your goal is performance, which for most mfg's it's not, then that's a different story.

Sponsor

Staff online