• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Road'n'Gravel Biking

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And the crankset looks like 40t to me. 1x. Not low enough.

Not low enough for what? Moving slower than walking?

It's a gravel bike.
She's not going to be doing super-technical climbs at 18%-20% and it's not a bikepacking bike where she'll load it with 60kg+ of cr@p.

For up-to-12-15% fire roads and limited loads, I honestly don't see the problem.

The biggest problem I foresee with that setup is - goatheads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For up-to-12-15% fire roads and limited loads, I honestly don't see the problem.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I envy your fitness level Mr. Vingegaard.

For mere mortals it is too high. Hence some of us use 46/30 cranks paired with 11-40 cassettes. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I envy your fitness level Mr. Vingegaard.

Pfft. I'm older and fatter than she is, with significantly less track experience.

If I can get by on fire roads with 36x34 (29 gear inches), she'll be just fine with 40x42 (26 gear inches). And if she wants an MTB she can get one of those.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm using a 34x34 as my low right now and I'm good at 6-8% for 1-1.5kms. After that, tough! But I'm a fat old man and I'm pretty sure @Wendy is pretty fit. I think it really depends on the roads and rider..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm using a 34x34 as my low right now and I'm good at 6-8% for 1-1.5kms. After that, tough! But I'm a fat old man and I'm pretty sure @Wendy is pretty fit. I think it really depends on the roads and rider..

I'll just point out that the Raleigh Super GP upthread has 42x28 for a low gear ... and all I got was a seat position comment :D

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not low enough for what? Moving slower than walking?

It's a gravel bike.
She's not going to be doing super-technical climbs at 18%-20% and it's not a bikepacking bike where she'll load it with 60kg+ of cr@p.

The biggest problem I foresee with that setup is - goatheads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
If I'm riding within Santa Fe proper, it's actually fairly flat. It'll be awhile before I acclimate to the altitude (nearly 7000' in town) so no real climbing yet anyways. It's also going to be used as a "ride to the farmer's market bike" on Saturdays.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True story. Back in the very early 2000s, pre-Niner, I was a regular contributor to MTBR.com, a mountain bike discussion forum. At the time I had a strip of electrical tape on my toptube with "Pedal Dammit!" written on it with a sharpie. I posted a pic of that on MTBR, and I'm convinced that's where Niner got the idea. Sadly I no longer have the pic. But I do like the bikes.
When I saw that on the top tube, I thought, "This is the bike for me!" So cool, and so funny.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone did steal your mantra.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll just point out that the Raleigh Super GP upthread has 42x28 for a low gear ... and all I got was a seat position comment :D

You are not a lady so we don’t care how much you suffer. You probably deserve it anyway. :P :roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Totally. I have it too on my road bike but on the gravel I ride routes where 8% for 2 km is only the warm up. Like 44 km constant ascent with the last 10 or so with long sections firmly into the double digits. Only way to not go completely nuts is to be able to spin it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup, shop here said they only sell tubeless because so many thorns.

On the upside, tubeless also makes repair with a rack (or fenders ftm) a lot easier.

I was set on a steel frame gravel bike. Ended up with a carbon fork which felt better on rough roads. Still can attach panniers to this fork if I want.

I'm sure you're already aware rack loads and fork loads do weird things to bike handling.

You are not a lady

You calling me a slut? Wait... (counts bikes. counts frames) ...OK, you're probably right.

Only way to not go completely nuts is to be able to spin it.

...with an e-bike motor :duck:

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the upside, tubeless also makes repair with a rack (or fenders ftm) a lot easier.

I'm sure you're already aware rack loads and fork loads do weird things to bike handling.

You calling me a slut? Wait... (counts bikes. counts frames) ...OK, you're probably right.

...with an e-bike motor :duck:
yes, shop said repairs are way easier with tubeless here.

I've ridden bikes with racks and panniers before. Even with some heavy stuff like shovels, gardening tools, sacks of soil. Don't ask. ogwink

Super happy with this fit of this bike. Very comfy and great handling. I feel a bit younger than I really am when I ride it. :)

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Totally. I have it too on my road bike but on the gravel I ride routes where 8% for 2 km is only the warm up. Like 44 km constant ascent with the last 10 or so with long sections firmly into the double digits. Only way to not go completely nuts is to be able to spin it.
I mean, if you can't spin the gear... :roflmao::duck:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That’s why I am considering a Roubaix as everyday bike and will keep the Leo for gravel/adventure riding. With 40-45 mm tires it will be superb.

I feel like I should point out that the BMC URS LT One comes in yellow.

1697899444004.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True story. Back in the very early 2000s, pre-Niner, I was a regular contributor to MTBR.com, a mountain bike discussion forum. At the time I had a strip of electrical tape on my toptube with "Pedal Dammit!" written on it with a sharpie. I posted a pic of that on MTBR, and I'm convinced that's where Niner got the idea. Sadly I no longer have the pic. But I do like the bikes.

The massive royalties from Niner help explain how you can while away so much time here.......yeah, pot meet kettle, I know. :roflmao:

SO easy. Buy a perhaps overpriced, but beautifully made, Dynaplug Racer X.

I fixed a flat the other week with one in about 30 seconds. The old duffers group I was riding with were blown away.

Sponsor