• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2023-2024 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pow day bird
How was viz on Peruvian side? Mega crowds to start the day on the Gad side, but thinned out a lot as the day went on. Given my current state, three hours of skiing was more than enough today. Caught numerous deep shots in some sleeper tree areas. So, good day for me. Snow was very light, despite the pasty look on the trees on drive up/down.

Left lots of snow on the mountain, but need to live to fight another day. I’m guessing free refills for you guys this afternoon.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
How was viz on Peruvian side? Mega crowds to start the day on the Gad side, but thinned out a lot as the day went on. Given my current state, three hours of skiing was more than enough today. Caught numerous deep shots in some sleeper tree areas. So, good day for me. Snow was very light, despite the pasty look on the trees on drive up/down.

Left lots of snow on the mountain, but need to live to fight another day. I’m guessing free refills for you guys this afternoon.
Peruvian side had considerably lighter crowds than the Gad side, but viz was challenging at times.

We didn't ski much longer than you. After lunch, we were thinking of heading up the Tram but then given my injury, fatigue, and the bad viz, thought better of it. So instead we went one run up Peruvian and then called it a day.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yet another day of excellent conditions with lots of fresh snow; unfortunately, the combination of sketchy road surfaces and huge crowds made for difficult, congested travel in BCC this morning and afternoon. I boarded the ski bus on 3000 East across from the Wasatch Forest Service office at 8:00 a.m. and didn't arrive at Solitude's Moonbeam bus shelter until 9:48 a.m. I and the other two people who boarded the bus with me were the last passengers allowed on the massively overloaded bus but UTA requires the driver to run the remainder of the route rather than head straight for the canyon. We left about a dozen people at the next stop, which services the Hyatt and Marriott, plus another 8 or so at the following stop for the Rim Rock Hilton. The 6200 South Park and Ride on Wasatch was way, way overparked, with vehicles parked roadside as far as one could see to the north on Wasatch Blvd. and we left at least 100 people there. Finally we unnecessarily pulled into the BCC Park and Ride so that the driver could inform about 20 people waiting there that another bus would be by at some unknown time. This caused another delay because traffic was backed up at the mouth and it was difficult for the driver to get the bus back on the canyon road from the bus stop. Traffic was moving at a crawl all the way to about a half mile up canyon of the s-curves because many vehicles not conforming to the traction law were struggling to get up Torpedo Hill, as well as having difficulty just below, at, and just above the s-curves. Some were attempting to install chains while parked on the road or only halfway off the road. Other vehicles had slid off the road in various lower canyon locations. Enough vehicles were giving up trying to make it up the canyon and turning around that it made it problematic for those heading up canyon to pass the stranded cars. Once past the long stretch of problem areas, traffic flowed fairly steady at about 15 -20 mph. Cars near Solitude were parked roadside all the way down to the Willow Lake backcountry trailhead, where the free roadside parking sign (no parking fees) is situated, and well beyond. Ditto for the roadside parking between Entries 1 and 2 at Solitude, as well as above Redman campground and below the BCC fire station near Brighton but the line of vehicles did not meet midway between the two probably due to this season's limit on roadside parked vehicles to 400 reservations/fees.

Since it's supposed to snow off and on through next Saturday, I bailed out earlier than the excellent conditions warranted, as I feared massive gridlock at some point. Sure enough, when I arrived at Moonbeam to either catch the bus or thumb at around 2:25 p.m., the amount of vehicles arriving after the expiration of compulsory parking fees and circling the car park had virtually gridlocked it, causing those unable to enter Moonbeam to be backed up out to the canyon road and a fair distance down it. The line for the bus was horrific and I quickly thumbed a ride down canyon. I'm not sure what happened but, during the ride down, two ambulances, two law enforcement vehicles (canyon patrol), and one fire truck with sirens blaring and emergency lights flashing were racing up canyon in response to ? Once at the bottom of the canyon, I saw a canyon patrol vehicle blocking access to the canyon, as BCC had closed due to extreme congestion or, perhaps, due to the incident that caused the large emergency response. It was nuking when I left the slopes to head for the locker room and also all the way down the canyon. Thank goodness for weekdays!

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I had lower level clients today so no powder skiing. Not concerned as this week coming up was already going to be good.... with 2 feet down already, refills through the week, and light crowds... could be the best week of the season...

Our 903" season followed up by what should be at least 620"... and that's if April is extremely dry. To be in this position where 700" is a real possibility is so cool!!! This will go down as the Sleeper Season. No powder hangover here!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
More from 24 March 2024

Day started with a drive up LCC, took about 80 mins vs usual 20.
20240324_081836.jpg

The one foot new snow stuck to trees in lower canyon like cotton candy.
20240324_083721.jpg

Visibility ranged from very poor to not too bad. It snowed most of the day adding perhaps another 5 or 6 to 12" last night.
20240324_104645.jpg

I skied with @Wasatchman, fun but demanding day.
20240324_105907.jpg
20240324_105908.jpg

Split our time between Peruvian Gulch and Mineral Basin - here
20240324_121008.jpg

The access road was closed for avi mitigation approx 1 to 330 pm. Crowds diminished in anticipation of closure.
20240324_145025.jpg

We left mtn about 4pm and zipped right down. Best powder day in 2 or 3 weeks for me. I missed the last good one around March 13.

Apreski
20240324_174649.jpg

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yet another day of excellent conditions with lots of fresh snow; unfortunately, the combination of sketchy road surfaces and huge crowds made for difficult, congested travel in BCC this morning and afternoon. I boarded the ski bus on 3000 East across from the Wasatch Forest Service office at 8:00 a.m. and didn't arrive at Solitude's Moonbeam bus shelter until 9:48 a.m. I and the other two people who boarded the bus with me were the last passengers allowed on the massively overloaded bus but UTA requires the driver to run the remainder of the route rather than head straight for the canyon. We left about a dozen people at the next stop, which services the Hyatt and Marriott, plus another 8 or so at the following stop for the Rim Rock Hilton. The 6200 South Park and Ride on Wasatch was way, way overparked, with vehicles parked roadside as far as one could see to the north on Wasatch Blvd. and we left at least 100 people there. Finally we unnecessarily pulled into the BCC Park and Ride so that the driver could inform about 20 people waiting there that another bus would be by at some unknown time. This caused another delay because traffic was backed up at the mouth and it was difficult for the driver to get the bus back on the canyon road from the bus stop. Traffic was moving at a crawl all the way to about a half mile up canyon of the s-curves because many vehicles not conforming to the traction law were struggling to get up Torpedo Hill, as well as having difficulty just below, at, and just above the s-curves. Some were attempting to install chains while parked on the road or only halfway off the road. Other vehicles had slid off the road in various lower canyon locations. Enough vehicles were giving up trying to make it up the canyon and turning around that it made it problematic for those heading up canyon to pass the stranded cars. Once past the long stretch of problem areas, traffic flowed fairly steady at about 15 -20 mph. Cars near Solitude were parked roadside all the way down to the Willow Lake backcountry trailhead, where the free roadside parking sign (no parking fees) is situated, and well beyond. Ditto for the roadside parking between Entries 1 and 2 at Solitude, as well as above Redman campground and below the BCC fire station near Brighton but the line of vehicles did not meet midway between the two probably due to this season's limit on roadside parked vehicles to 400 reservations/fees.

Since it's supposed to snow off and on through next Saturday, I bailed out earlier than the excellent conditions warranted, as I feared massive gridlock at some point. Sure enough, when I arrived at Moonbeam to either catch the bus or thumb at around 2:25 p.m., the amount of vehicles arriving after the expiration of compulsory parking fees and circling the car park had virtually gridlocked it, causing those unable to enter Moonbeam to be backed up out to the canyon road and a fair distance down it. The line for the bus was horrific and I quickly thumbed a ride down canyon. I'm not sure what happened but, during the ride down, two ambulances, two law enforcement vehicles (canyon patrol), and one fire truck with sirens blaring and emergency lights flashing were racing up canyon in response to ? Once at the bottom of the canyon, I saw a canyon patrol vehicle blocking access to the canyon, as BCC had closed due to extreme congestion or, perhaps, due to the incident that caused the large emergency response. It was nuking when I left the slopes to head for the locker room and also all the way down the canyon. Thank goodness for weekdays!
LCC was not much better. Left Midvale at 7:05, smooth sailing until the Sandy/Wasatch merge. inched up slowly, until the park n ride at the canyon base, where the two lanes pre-merge sat at a standstill for at least 20 minutes. Dunno why, once we started moving again, saw no evidence of a crash. Got one of the last parking spots in Entry 1, directed by Snowbird staff to parallel park, inner two wheels on a snowbank, very little room between cars, on an incline. As expected, it was a very tough exit around noon, since we had a decent amount of new snow, the road surface was very slick, and I had to cut my wheels hard to get out of the spot. Hill didnt help.

I had to call it early and want to avoid a cluster on the way down. A bit past noon. It was Lord of the Flies on the parking road, afternoon shift cars were circling in all directions looking for a spot. Got asked numerous times if I was leaving - walking down parking road with skis - peeps wanted to follow me to my spot. I told em I had no idea how much further down I was, since I parked away from where I usually park. After about a minute, they finally stopped following me.

Finally was able to ski down to my car. Within 10 seconds, a driver asked if I could have my spot. I said fine, but it will take 10 minutes or so. They waited, but a bit of a PITA to be getting out of gear and clearing off the car with someone watching ya.

Canyon road down was interesting. Gridlock heading up the mountain to Alta. Needed 4wd or a surf board, just to handle the running snow melt on the road. Several sedans were crashed into the downhill snowbank. A bit below entrance one, had to slow down for four sedans in a row stuck in the snow bank, on a straight away. And the road was fairly clear…

@Daniel - with ya, looking forward to weekday skiing this week.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I wanted to go to Alta but couldn’t get a parking reservation so went to Powder. Easy drive both ways and a good day.
The low angle terrain skied best. Completing turns on steeper slopes meant hitting the crust under the 8-9” of new. The evil spring sun popped out for a few minute here and there, enough to turn the nice powder into concrete.
Overall the day exceeded expectations.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
UTA requires the driver to run the remainder of the route rather than head straight for the canyon
Do you know why? It would seem that once the bus is full getting it up the hill and back down asap for another load would be wise.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We drove back to Reno today after a week in PC for the HOF activities. I think I'd rather drive 9 hours pulling a UHaul than deal with canyon traffic on a pow Sunday!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We drove here (SLC) from Big Bear today. Thanks to multiple collisions on I-15, the 9 hour drive turned into an 11 hr drive. We are sleeping in tomorrow and may or may not ski.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you know why? It would seem that once the bus is full getting it up the hill and back down asap for another load would be wise.

It's all about the timetables and level-of-service agreements. If a driver shortcuts a route, even if the bus is full, they throw off the timetable and also are in violation of the level-of-service they promise for the stops on the route. Who knows: perhaps someone could be disembarking at one of the skipped stops? Not likely but you never know.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are getting a late start this morning. Yesterday’s 9 hr drive turned into an 11 hr drive thanks to multiple collisions in I-15. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get parking at DV. We just woke up :geek:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
We drove here (SLC) from Big Bear today. Thanks to multiple collisions on I-15, the 9 hour drive turned into an 11 hr drive. We are sleeping in tomorrow and may or may not ski.
The news said they reported over 70 accidents yesterday. People simply going too fast for the conditions.

My #1 complaint about living in Utah is what I believe is reckless driving. In particular I avoid I-15 as much as I can.

In the last 8 years I have been rear-ended twice and now recently collided into by an out of control skier. To say I'm angry and frustrated by the resulting injuries is an understatement. You literally have to implicitly put your life in other people's hands, and unfortunately there is plenty of stupidity and reckless behavior going around.

@Andy Mink it may seem counterintuitive at first but I much rather prefer the canyons over I-15 on storm days. At least in the canyons people are generally traveling more slowly in single lanes of traffic.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The news said they reported over 70 accidents yesterday. People simply going too fast for the conditions.

My #1 complaint about living in Utah is what I believe is reckless driving. In particular I avoid I-15 as much as I can.

In the last 8 years I have been rear-ended twice and now recently collided into by an out of control skier. To say I'm angry and frustrated by the resulting injuries is an understatement. You literally have to implicitly put your life in other people's hands, and unfortunately there is plenty of stupidity and reckless behavior going around.

@Andy Mink it may seem counterintuitive at first but I much rather prefer the canyons over I-15 on storm days. At least in the canyons people are generally traveling more slowly in single lanes of traffic.
Storm days I'd be going to Sundance! Way less people on the road or the hill.

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
LCC was not much better. Left Midvale at 7:05, smooth sailing until the Sandy/Wasatch merge. inched up slowly, until the park n ride at the canyon base, where the two lanes pre-merge sat at a standstill for at least 20 minutes. Dunno why, once we started moving again, saw no evidence of a crash. Got one of the last parking spots in Entry 1, directed by Snowbird staff to parallel park, inner two wheels on a snowbank, very little room between cars, on an incline. As expected, it was a very tough exit around noon, since we had a decent amount of new snow, the road surface was very slick, and I had to cut my wheels hard to get out of the spot. Hill didnt help.

I had to call it early and want to avoid a cluster on the way down. A bit past noon. It was Lord of the Flies on the parking road, afternoon shift cars were circling in all directions looking for a spot. Got asked numerous times if I was leaving - walking down parking road with skis - peeps wanted to follow me to my spot. I told em I had no idea how much further down I was, since I parked away from where I usually park. After about a minute, they finally stopped following me.

Finally was able to ski down to my car. Within 10 seconds, a driver asked if I could have my spot. I said fine, but it will take 10 minutes or so. They waited, but a bit of a PITA to be getting out of gear and clearing off the car with someone watching ya.

Canyon road down was interesting. Gridlock heading up the mountain to Alta. Needed 4wd or a surf board, just to handle the running snow melt on the road. Several sedans were crashed into the downhill snowbank. A bit below entrance one, had to slow down for four sedans in a row stuck in the snow bank, on a straight away. And the road was fairly clear…

@Daniel - with ya, looking forward to weekday skiing this week.
Holy smokes, that parking on the shoulder going up the canyon was BONKERS. When the lots filled so early, I turned around and poured another cup of coffee. Waited until almost 1 to head up to Snowbird. Found a spot pretty quickly around Cliff Lodge. Coming down at 4, (the roads were only wet, not bad at all) I was shocked to see a couple SUV's that were parked on the highway actually slide DOWN the canyon sideways far enough to need a tow truck. The pucker must have been strong for those poor souls. SUV + summer biased tires = no good for parking in deep snow on an angle.
Bob

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Storm days I'd be going to Sundance! Way less people on the road or the hill.
Don't forget about way less snow, a shorter season, a lower base elevation, and a less favorable location relative to the Great Salt Lake for lake effect. I'm not trying to be critical of Sundance, as I've enjoyed the handful of days I've skied/snowboarded and worked at races there. Last season all northern Utah ski areas received insane amounts of snowfall and built very deep bases, yet Sundance ended up with total snowfall (in inches) that compared unfavorably to that received by the 4 CC resorts measuring well into the triple digits. Like @Wasatchman, I reside quite a distance from Sundance (high on the east bench between the CC canyons) and traveling on I-15 between the state's two most populous counties on storm days can be heinous. I did my share of that prior to retiring from my profession and would rather avoid reliving those memories. By the way, the 48-hour current storm totals as of early this morning for the 4 CC resorts range from 29" to 20", while the total for Sundance was 6". Furthermore, the CC resorts' seasonal snow totals currently range from 214% to 184% of Sundance's 250" total.

Sponsor

Staff online