• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2023-2024 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
46854.jpeg
Virtually all terrain shown in this photo comprises much of Mt. Timpanogos. The broad ridge in the background on the right side of the photo is where the highest elevation region of the mountain is located and includes the old summit shelter (11,750' elevation and seen in the following photo). The broad ridge in the middle of the photo is where the next highest summit on Mt. Timpanogos is found. In 1955 an Air Force B-25 bomber flying from Great Falls, MT to Riverside, CA crashed into a region of the mountain located beyond the right edge of the above photo after refueling at Hill AFB in Ogden, killing all five crew members. Lots of the wreckage remains on sight for those willing to divert from the summit climb by doing some extra ascending and descending (details of the crash in link below).

IMG_0361.jpeg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
After lunch we were treated to an avy dog demonstration. Two of our group were buried (yes, all the way) and the dog found them very quickly. He wasn't present when they were buried so it was all scent work. Very impressive.
I was buried twice by members of Solitude's Ski Patrol while participating in practice sessions for the resort's avalanche dogs. Back in the mid-80s to mid 90s employees volunteered to be buried for the weekly sessions and there was never a shortage of willing participants, who received a free day ticket voucher (for usage by a friend or family member) for their effort. For approximately the last 30 years, patrollers have filled the role of victims who have been buried during public avalanche dog demonstrations. Patrol uses the 8 to 10 demonstrations per season to raise funds for the avalanche dog program by selling a variety of themed t-shirts, such as one showing a photo of each of the four canines when they were puppies, accompanied by a short background of each of the team members (example below). The really popular t-shirts are those showing all 4 dogs seated in a row on one of the chairlifts.

IMG_1047.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A great day at Solitude today with some of the HOF attendees. Again, firm snow early but turning soft quickly in the sun while shade or different aspects held well until lunch time. Wee found the blue runs off Sunrise chair to be a super balance of soft and firm. I finally had the chance after several other visits to take Honeycomb Canyon all the way around. It's quite the thigh burner. Pop out onto the sun baked snow and life got all grippy again! One run down through some super soft moguls and I was done for the day.

20240322_103941.jpg
Early fun groomers

20240322_114642.jpg
Heading up (down?) Summit Chair

20240322_114654.jpg
Yep, you go down to go up.

20240322_115044.jpg
At the top heading to Honeycomb Canyon.

20240322_121137.jpg
Super nice bumps. Unfortunately there were rocks and sticks starting to show through so caution was the name of the game to save base.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry we did not run across you until late in the day, but it was great seeing yo and Ann!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love to see the Lustis @Andy Mink! I had a guy at Park City ask me if I was affiliated with SkiTalk when he saw my Blossoms!
Those are my new RC SL. A bit raw out of the box but after a tune I really enjoy them. No problem on the very firm early and fun in the soft.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Good hodge podge at Alta today. Bulletproof (even at 11:30am when I got there). Mank from the fresh couple inches of windrift in the Castle that I found. Nice spring bumps on High Boy finally by 2:30pm.

Does anyone know if the Memorial Day closing date set by Snowbird is firm or if they'd go further if conditions allow?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Does anyone know if the Memorial Day closing date set by Snowbird is firm or if they'd go further if conditions allow?
I think it's a pretty firm date. Especially since Gad valley will be closed starting in mid-April for some big projects that they will be undertaking including a new Wilbere lift.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Deer Valley questions … it’s many years since I have been there. Bob and I plan to meet @Larry there on Monday morning.

1. is there a good place to boot up at base and meet up?
2. Are locker rentals required or is there a good spot to leave a boot bag?

thanks for any responses.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a big locker room in main lodge by parking lot. But you could boot up at your car and ride tram to from lodge. That's what I did recently.

MaryG

Putting on skis
Skier
Deer Valley questions … it’s many years since I have been there. Bob and I plan to meet @Larry there on Monday morning.

1. is there a good place to boot up at base and meet up?
2. Are locker rentals required or is there a good spot to leave a boot bag?

thanks for any responses.
Need to rent a locker, staff will remove your stuff and put it in lost and found. Most guests boot up at their car and take the tram/shuttle to Snow Park Lodgr. If early enough you could be in the first or second lot- easy walk!

Sponsor

Staff online