• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Icelantic Logo.jpg

19 Sabre89.png

Icelantic Sabre 89
Dimensions:130-89-115
Radius: 16m@174cm
Sizes: 164, 174, 184
Size tested: 184
Design: New Construction

Philpug: The 15 mm of taper in the Sabre can really be felt. With its trademark Icelantic dampening and solid feel, the Sabre needs just a bit of ankle roll to come into a turn. The narrower tail lets you decide at the apex: do you want to hold the turn or do you want to release? Well, neither is a bad choice. If you hold through the turn, the Sabre sticks to its namesake and cuts like a knife; if you release, the Sabre turns into a butter knife so you can schmear the turn like cream cheese on a bagel.
  • Who is it for? Those looking for any turn on demand.
  • Who is it not for? Those who like poppy skis.
  • Insider tip: Check the tune; Icelantic sends the ski pretty square out of the box. Also, the three-year warranty is one of the best in the business.

19 Nomad 105.png
Icelantic Nomad 105
Dimensions: 140-105-130
Radius: 19m@181cm
Sizes: 161, 171, 181, 191
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover/NGT

dean_spirito: While the Nomad 95 has recently stepped up as Icelantic’s park ski, the Nomad 105 gives riders a more versatile all-mountain ski with a distinct park feel. It maintains the same playful, surfy feel of the 95, but has been stiffened up to handle hard charging outside the park. Three layers of 20mm rubber foil are incorporated into the poplar core in order to dampen vibrations without compromising weight. If you’re the type of skier who wants a twin tip that is equally at home in the park as it is in the big mountain, the Nomad 105 might be for you.
  • Who is it for? Park rats looking for a powder ski; upper intermediate to advanced skiers looking for a playful, all-mountain/powder ski.
  • Who is it not for? Those who keep their skis on the snow -- this is a jibby ski.
  • Insider tip: These could make for a great touring setup.

Women
19 Maiden 91.png

Icelantic Maiden 91
Dimensions: 129-91-116
Radius: 14.5m@162cm
Sizes: 155, 162, 169
Size tested: 169
Design: All New

Tricia: This was the first ski of the day for no other reason than I was skiing with @dean_spirito and he was starting on Icelantic. Being a new model for Icelantic, the Maiden 91 fills a spot on the women’s side of the wall that we’re seeing from more manufacturers. One notable thing about the ski is the burly construction intended to withstand the abuse of rails and big air. Where it lacked in edge hold with a 1°/1° park tune, it excelled in making quick moves and schmearing the tails.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an all-mountain ski that will hold up to the test of time.
  • Who is it not for? A finesse skier looking for precise turns.
  • Insider tip: Put a 1°/2° tune on it for more versatility.

19 Oracle 88.png
Icelantic Oracle 88
Dimensions:126-88-108
Radius: 16m@162cm
Sizes: 155, 162, 169
Size tested: 169

Tricia: This is not the first time I've been on the Oracle 88. This is the ski I remembered from past experiences, an interesting mix of solid construction and soft snow playfulness. While other skis in this category have a bit of an on-piste bias, the Oracle doesn't pretend to be a groomer ski. It clearly enjoys exploring off piste and park. If I were to buy this ski, I'd change the factory tune, which feels like a 1.5°/2°, to a 1°/2°.
  • Who is it for? The female looking for an off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? The woman looking for a damp, precise ski.
  • Insider tip: To get more early-morning groomer fun, don't go with the factory tune.

19 Oracle 100.png
Icelantic Oracle 100
Dimensions: 138-100-120
Radius: 17m@165cm
Sizes: 155, 165, 175
Size tested: 155

SkiNurse: The Oracle 100 is fun, light, and lively. It loves the steep, soft, and chalky, and it is very playful in the trees. It does ok on the groomers but not as well in slabby snow or hard pack.
  • Who is it for? If you are looking for something fun and playful, here it is.
  • Who is it not for? Carvaholics.

Attachments

• 19 Nomad 95.png
    19 Nomad 95.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 41

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dumb question, I don't suppose anyone has skied the Pioneer 109? I have a pair of Pioneer 109 limited ski patrol graphics on pre order and have found scant few reviews of the ski online.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dumb question, I don't suppose anyone has skied the Pioneer 109? I have a pair of Pioneer 109 limited ski patrol graphics on pre order and have found scant few reviews of the ski online.
Sorry, we didn't have the conditions or time to get on them.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Please follow up with your thoughts on the Pioneer 109 limited ski patrol graphics ski. They are on my list for next season!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An update for you @ZionPow Both my sister and I purchased a pair of the Pioneer 109s, I have the 190s (straight tip to tail measurement is 187cm) and she got the 170s. I've had about 6 runs on them and my sister has skied about the same amount on them now. I put some Pivot 14s on mine and my sister went with Tyrolia Attack 13s and both of us mounted on the line. We also went with a longer ski than what we normally ski: I prefer to be on a 180-185 for most skis and she likes about a 160-165. We simply have not had deep enough snow to really see how they do in all conditions, but we have gotten them into our thin early season conditions about 3 inches of fluff, on soft groomers, and over chopped snow. They ski nice with a good amount of stability and confidence on the thin snow conditions we have! My sisters first words when I asked her about the skis was that they were fun! Both of us agree that they don't feel as wide as they actually are, they are not exactly quick edge to edge but they are not really noticeably slow. After all it is a 190cm ski that has a 21m radius with a 109 waist. I'm not entirely happy with 21m radius skis, I prefer stuff in the 18m range but I do get along with the Pioneers better than my Black Diamond Boundary Pro 107s I also own that have a stated radius of 20m in 184cm.

I feel with the small amount of skiing that I've done that this ski will be an excellent wide all mountain type ski for a skier who wants the versatility to go big and still not be too bad on low snow days. They ski quite similar to the Fischer Ranger 102FR and the Enforcer 100s I have, they just feel bigger and want to go for bigger lines than those two want. The Rangers want to dance all over the mountain, the Enforcers want to put the mountain into submission, and the Pioneer 109 wants to do a bit of both, just bigger.

Also the topsheet is on point!
IMG_1679.jpg

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Ski's look great, I was chatting with one of my fellow patrollers and to celebrate his 25th year of patrolling he bought a pair of the Icelantics. I'm not sure if they are the same as your but he did mention they were 109 underfoot.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An update for you @ZionPow Both my sister and I purchased a pair of the Pioneer 109s, I have the 190s (straight tip to tail measurement is 187cm) and she got the 170s. I've had about 6 runs on them and my sister has skied about the same amount on them now. I put some Pivot 14s on mine and my sister went with Tyrolia Attack 13s and both of us mounted on the line. We also went with a longer ski than what we normally ski: I prefer to be on a 180-185 for most skis and she likes about a 160-165. We simply have not had deep enough snow to really see how they do in all conditions, but we have gotten them into our thin early season conditions about 3 inches of fluff, on soft groomers, and over chopped snow. They ski nice with a good amount of stability and confidence on the thin snow conditions we have! My sisters first words when I asked her about the skis was that they were fun! Both of us agree that they don't feel as wide as they actually are, they are not exactly quick edge to edge but they are not really noticeably slow. After all it is a 190cm ski that has a 21m radius with a 109 waist. I'm not entirely happy with 21m radius skis, I prefer stuff in the 18m range but I do get along with the Pioneers better than my Black Diamond Boundary Pro 107s I also own that have a stated radius of 20m in 184cm.

I feel with the small amount of skiing that I've done that this ski will be an excellent wide all mountain type ski for a skier who wants the versatility to go big and still not be too bad on low snow days. They ski quite similar to the Fischer Ranger 102FR and the Enforcer 100s I have, they just feel bigger and want to go for bigger lines than those two want. The Rangers want to dance all over the mountain, the Enforcers want to put the mountain into submission, and the Pioneer 109 wants to do a bit of both, just bigger.

View attachment 60904 .
Thanks for the update. That is an awesome photo! I think that will be my POW skis for next season. Have a great season!

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I want to make a plug for the limited edition Shaman Chronicles. I bought a new pair of 173cm (I have older pairs of Shamans 161, 173cm, plus a great Nomad SFT from days of yore) Chronicles and took them out yesterday in some roughed up east coast snow. Gosh, I love the Shamans, it is the most unique ski (and best ski) Icelantic ever made and I'm glad they've brought them back (even if only in limited fashion). You'll never ski a more capable crud and soft snow killer that handles hard snow better. The Chronicle graphics are eye popping and the the Wow factor makes for chatty lift rides. I've never skied an easier or more capable east coast tree and crud ski. and certainly never skied one that can carve a better turn on early morning groomers. And, FWIW, it makes a great Patroller ski (like a big snowshoe that excels in running sled in tight and nasty places).
I've been suffering through some horrendous knee/ bone issues that have really compromised my skiing and easy skiing, damp skis are high on my list. The Shaman still ticks the boxes of easy to use, fun, capable, stable as all heck and damp. Yeah, they're hard to find (you can direct order them from Icelantic or Glacier ski shop in Washington), but they're as wonderful as ever. Bravo, Icelantic!

Lakeside Chutes

Booting up
Skier
I have the Pioneer Patrol Ski 96 and love them. Hardpack, Ice, Mush and Powder, powers through it all with complete control.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did a demo of the Pioneer 109 last season and really enjoyed them skiing crud on John Paul. I ordered a pair for this season!

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier

View attachment 60904 .
such a great review and I love when someone actually compares the ski to something I've skied or read a lot about! @firebanex thanks and for more of a carver with dabble in POW would you go Pioneer 96?

Sponsor