• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fun weekend with my son at Montage and Elk. First time at both of these for us. Got to Montage by 4 PM on Friday and skied for 4 hours, then all day Saturday at Montage and then Sunday morning at Elk. We managed to avoid the rain completely and had a great time. We really enjoyed the Northface section at Montage - we ventured to the upper mountain for a few runs but for the most part stuck with the 4 runs in Northface. Elk was cool, nice consistent fall line skiing. Only about half the runs were open - I would love to get back there when it is fully open.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like we are in for an extended period of above average temperatures. There goes the original forecast for a cold and snowy January. :( I am beginning to learn to not pay attention to long range forecasts as they are completely suspect.....but sadly, they do seem to get the warm periods right. It's the cold periods they overestimate in our changing climate.

I've been teaching at Bear Creek this past week....we had great coverage and conditions over Christmas into the beginning of the weekend. It was super, super busy with lots of people enjoying the snow. Saturday afternoon was getting a bit soft and conditions will deteriorate rapidly with these temps and rain. I am not optimistic about this hill being able to stay open long in these conditions, which is a bummer, because I really enjoyed myself this past week. BC has an excellent instructor trainer and very supportive staff.

Time to break out the fat bike again. "Winter" ain't winter anymore around these parts, so gotta be flexible.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Headed to Snowshoe on January 1 to ski Thurs-Fri-Saturday. If my weather app is to be believed, they should be able to blow snow every day but Thursday and Friday, with chances for natural snow tomorrow and Saturday-Sunday-Monday. Then a nice run of snowmaking temps. Better get those whales in shape!

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!

Looks like a fun game of dodge the casualties hahaha! Just kidding, only a couple down. Must not have been that busy.

Pretty much ski on all day - nice contrast with what must have been happening over at Snowshoe. And we actually didn't see too many people completely in over their heads.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
A member of Laurel's snowmaking crew posted this picture of the Broadway trail in the Support Laurel Facebook Group. Looks like the base held up through this thaw. I'll be going tomorrow.

80565375_10104484669593212_1704840998464520192_n.jpg

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll be at Snowshoe next Thursday the 9th and Friday the 10th, anyone else going to be around? I was supposed to be going with my daughter but I think she's backing out on me, crazy teenagers!! Looks like some more consistent cold weather after Saturday so I am hoping for good conditions.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20200101_121212.jpg

Whitetail: great snow on Snowpark and Sidewinder, not sticky at all. Bunny hill lift is NOT open so green lift is running extra slow. Expect stoppages and don't expect more than 5 runs per hour in spite of low crowds.
Angel Drop has great piles of loose granular. Very tactical skiing but no formed bumps. Bring either long front side skis or midfats; leave the SL gear at home. Screenshot_20200101-143459.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
PS there was an ambulance and an assist car; I won't repeat the hearsay about what happened other than the kid seemed to be alright.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Laurel cranked out the snow last night until late morning today. Snowmaking took place on the upper mountain trails and Broadway. Upper and Lower Wildcat were in good shape with Upper the better of the two. I have no doubt that Seven Springs made snow too. Now that the Holiday crowds are thinning I'll get back over to the Springs and report back.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a full day on the snow at Bear Creek today. Temps were not low enough last night or today for snowmaking, but maybe tonight. Although trails took a hit coverage-wise due to the rain, skiing was lovely. Mid Atlantic skiers are a hardy, enthusiastic group. When nonskiers would scoff at the possibility that there could actually be skiing during our crazy temperature swings, skiers come out, make the most of it, and have a great time.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Laurel cranked out the snow last night until late morning today. Snowmaking took place on the upper mountain trails and Broadway. Upper and Lower Wildcat were in good shape with Upper the better of the two. I have no doubt that Seven Springs made snow too. Now that the Holiday crowds are thinning I'll get back over to the Springs and report back.

I need to get up to Laurel this season.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Liberty is *packed* with cars, but there is no one on the slopes, is everyone drinking bloody Mary's at the hotel or what?

PSA1:. Liberty is the only Snowtime resort that can print replacement Epic passes. It takes 24hrs before the newly printed pass is direct to lifts.

PSA2: If you lost your Blue Mtn pass at Whitetail, check with lost and found.

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another day on the snow yesterday. Gorgeous morning with temperature in the high teens, some snowmaking overnight. Sweet skiing. By afternoon, it warmed up considerably to spring conditions. I was down to a base layer and vest, no gloves, teaching kids, breaking a sweat. It amazing though, how quickly conditions turn back again, as the freeze up began before 4 pm. A good frontside carver that can make long radius turns works well for this stuff.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun weekend with my son at Montage and Elk. First time at both of these for us. Got to Montage by 4 PM on Friday and skied for 4 hours, then all day Saturday at Montage and then Sunday morning at Elk. We managed to avoid the rain completely and had a great time. We really enjoyed the Northface section at Montage - we ventured to the upper mountain for a few runs but for the most part stuck with the 4 runs in Northface. Elk was cool, nice consistent fall line skiing. Only about half the runs were open - I would love to get back there when it is fully open.

Are there still snowmaking issues at Elk....battles over water rights?

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow , people skiing and enjoying it. I have gone once here in SW Pa. Thankfully skied in Colorado before Christmas. This is about as lousy of a start to a ski season as it gets. Something has to give sooner or later I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online