• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 New England Gathering trip report

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Yep...Sigi's Ripcord.

It's something like 32 degrees at the steepest part. It was groomed though, so nice and steep but not quite in double black form.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Yep...Sigi's Ripcord.

It's something like 32 degrees at the steepest part. It was groomed though, so nice and steep but not quite in double black form.

Yeah, we skied a few double black pitches over the weekend, but that was not one of them, trail markings notwithstanding. We saved the real ones for @Read Blinn .

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, we skied a few double black pitches over the weekend, but that was not one of them, trail markings notwithstanding. We saved the real ones for @Read Blinn .

Sugarbush Stein’s Run has 26° pitch for the entire length
Stowe Lookout 30° pitch the entire upper section
Stowe Upper Starr has 39° pitch for the headwall from top

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^^
Yep...Sigi's Ripcord.

Yeah, that was the warm up run I took Peter on, straight into lower paradise.... sigi’s was not too bad, but ending it with monster freak bumps and sheets of ice was not a confidence builder for either of us! We both struggled to find our mojo from tHen on......still not worthy of these crazy unpredictable eastern conditions....and this was during “excellent” coverage!!.....I’m not worthy! :hail::hail::hail:

Still had a blast and am now determined to learn to ski ice with grace next season.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting list. Lower Ovation at Killington should be on it.

Pitch is a tough thing. I don't know that on Outer Limits at Killington the listed pitch is "virtually the entire length". It gets less towards the bottom for a significant amount. As does Steins at Sugarbush. Maybe less for Steins. Those two trails are quite similar in pitch and character but feel quite different. Steins is probably flatter across, more consistent. OL skiers right is a mini gully, plus less snow usually. The view down to the lodge on Outer L plus the lift right there changes the feel likely from the more isolated Steins.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wine tastings only tell you so much about wine. You can't meaningfully characterize a ski run by its bra size. It all just reminds me of the early Sunday River advertising campaigns for White Heat: "The longest widest steepest stupidest run in the East."

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting list. Lower Ovation at Killington should be
Before I went out West, Lower Ovation was the steepest thing I had seen. But it really is just one rollover, and then only in the middle of the trail. The sides start down earlier so are less steep.

IIRC White Heat has a more consistent pitch than the others I have skied on that list (which is nowhere near all of them ).

Edit - from the site @SKI-3PO cites in the next post:
Lower Ovation, steepest bit: "95 vertical over 98 length = 44.11*. That's some pretty steep stuff."

Also, MRG: "Steepness means very little when it comes to Paradise." -- good point!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Before I went out West, Lower Ovation was the steepest thing I had seen. But it really is just one rollover, and then only in the middle of the trail. The sides start down earlier so are less steep.

IIRC White Heat has a more consistent pitch than the others I have skied on that list (which is nowhere near all of them ).
Your selling Lower Ovation short. That final pitch is no shorter than the final pitch on Superstar.

White Heat has rest areas. But it is consistently very steep for much of it. And they make tons of snow on it.

Double Dipper, Outer Limits, Steins have pretty long consistent pitch for the East.

What's the trail at Whiteface called where they had the Olympic gs? That has a good consistent pitch but I think it's less than OL or Stein's. It has been years since I was there.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

Pitch is a tough thing. I don't know that on Outer Limits at Killington the listed pitch is "virtually the entire length". It gets less towards the bottom for a significant amount. As does Steins at Sugarbush. Maybe less for Steins. Those two trails are quite similar in pitch and character but feel quite different. Steins is probably flatter across, more consistent. OL skiers right is a mini gully, plus less snow usually. The view down to the lodge on Outer L plus the lift right there changes the feel likely from the more isolated Steins.

You can argue till the cows come home on what these numbers mean so best not to make the mistake of going down that rabbit hole because it is futile at best. For some pitch is the challenge, for others length, for others a combination of both. For some terrain or snow conditions. For others the width can make all the difference.

Just take the data/numbers for what they are and leave it at that.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

This is why I love Hillmap... here's the profile for Stein's :

upload_2018-3-29_10-23-57.png

And here's Outer Limits :

upload_2018-3-29_10-25-17.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I think this site is interesting because it breaks up sections of trails.

http://ski-degrees.synthasite.com/
Yeah interesting site. Good to see it's still up since last update was 2011.
Then there's the contact page:

"You can contact me via the Barking Bear (aka Epicski) forums. I am skiking4 so just send me a PM (private message). You can request for a run, give feedback to the site, etc."
:(

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can argue till the cows come home on what these numbers mean so best not to make the mistake of going down that rabbit hole because it is futile at best. For some pitch is the challenge, for others length, for others a combination of both. For some terrain or snow conditions. For others the width can make all the difference.

Just take the data/numbers for what they are and leave it at that.

So true. Fresh snow make a lot of super hairy stuff not so hairy. Also wider allows for easier scrubbing of speed., etc.

Sponsor