• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 New England Gathering trip report

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to be sure, but I think it is a (relatively) minor muscle tear on the hamstring muscles (about 6 inches above the knee, directly on the back of the leg).
On that big dip going into the side entrance to National, I felt something bad happen in both legs just as I crested the lip.

The left leg was mostly back to normal by the time we finished National, but the right leg hurt all day.
I suppose skiing moguls several times during the day might not have been smart.

After the long drive home, getting out of the car was problematic. This morning, the left leg hurts a little and the right is decidedly unhappy. There is not much swelling and the leg is fully functional (if I grit my teeth) so I am optimistic that a few days rest will fix it up.

It looks worse than I expected. I guess it was a good thing we quit early.
20180329_215116-01-01.jpeg

The good news is I can walk semi-normally today.

edit -- cropped photo some more

Last edited:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I've got one of those nasty hematoma on the back of my knee, but didn't notice until I got home Sunday night. Must have happened one of the times I fell on Middle Earth and my skis came off.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey I didn’t want to be the first Gathermeister with a fatality! :eek:

Now that would go on your permanent record.

In my very first run as a guide years ago, @Old boot went exactly where I told him not to go, and he got stuck upside down, feet caught on the one tree in a half mile, right above a three foot rock ledge. That would have gone on my permanent record.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that would go on your permanent record.

In my very first run as a guide years ago, @Old boot went exactly where I told him not to go, and he got stuck upside down, feet caught on the one tree in a half mile, right above a three foot rock ledge. That would have gone on my permanent record.

That is on your permanent record!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks worse than I expected. I guess it was a good thing we quit early.
View attachment 42961

The good news is I can walk semi-normally today.

edit -- cropped photo some more

Wow, Mike, what run did you do that on? Do you know? Hope it's just s flesh wound. Heal quickly.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, Mike, what run did you do that on? Do you know? Hope it's just s flesh wound. Heal quickly.
I think it was the side entrance to National at Stowe on the first run of the last day. It had a very large dip with a vertical exit. Best I can reconstruct, I must have been reaching forward (instead of absorbing) as I was coming over the lip, because I was worried about not making it and sliding backwards. It did not seem that big a force when it happened, but I guess those muscles need to be stretched.

Something similar happened to both legs, but only one shows it.

They are sore, both to use and to touch, but getting better every day.

I did have a precursor injury on Friday when I sat down -- knees to chest -- after a fall in the bumps. It was better after a day, but I wonder if it acted as a "starting notch" on the muscle.

Another thing I wonder about: the location of the sore-to-the-touch spot is approximately where the top strap on my knee brace goes. I haven't put it back on to see if it lines up.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To all NE gatherer's:

Sounds like you had a great gathering with some good conditions. I regret not joining the group this year. Hopefully next year things will work out and I will make it. I would like to meet you all and ski some bumps with you (just not every run). I had a chance to demo some skis from a Rep last weekend and I wound up at Wildcat and Sunday River with some of my regular ski buddies. Really good conditions everywhere for New England.

My son is a freshman at UVM and I have been skiing the northern Vt area more than normal for me. It was a good time to hit Mad River and I still haven't had a great day at Sugarbush, which it sounds like you guys were able to do.

I am now well versed in Vt microbrews and that only adds to the enjoyment. (my favorite is Lawson's SIP OF SUNSHINE, followed by Headdy Topper). Well, as a final though, if Saddleback ever gets open again, maybe we can convince TonyS to be a gathermiester next year, it sure sounds like Kevin did a fabulous job this year.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Well, as a final though, if Saddleback ever gets open again, maybe we can convince TonyS to be a gathermiester next year, it sure sounds like Kevin did a fabulous job this year.

Kevin has this position nailed down; it's a pretty tough assignment. (And Tony's probably off the hook, anyway, considering Saddleback's prospects.)

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
If by some miracle Saddleback ever re-opens, I'd love to head back there in some capacity. But I'm not holding my breath. For Massachusetts / New York residents though, Maine makes "Northern Vermont" look positively close. Especially when you let @Tony S do the driving and after 45 minutes on I-95 you hear "oh yeah, we should have taken that exit 15 miles ago". :eek: You have been to this place before, yes? :)

Seriously, Northern Vermont has a great combination of terrain, reliable (for New England) snowfall, plentiful lodging and beer.

@ScottB , hope you can join us next year!

And the last time the NEG was held in Maine, only 3-4 people attended?

Hey now! We had six!
MaineGathering 007.JPG

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got my pics in order from the first two days.... here's a bunch....

Mad River Glen

NE Gathering 022418 005 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Double Chair

NE Gathering 022418 007 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Loading the single chair

NE Gathering 022418 012 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Riding the double (@SKI-3PO and @KevinF on the chair)

NE Gathering 022418 016 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Blue bumps... got into these a few times

NE Gathering 022418 017 DC ACR Conv.jpg
@JohnL , @MarkP , and @mdf

NE Gathering 022418 020 DC ACR Conv.jpg
@SKI-3PO , @KevinF , and @Tony S

NE Gathering 022418 028 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View from the top of double

NE Gathering 022418 030 DC ACR Conv.jpg
They actually do SOME grooming at MRG...

NE Gathering 022418 034 DC ACR Conv.jpg
... but a lot of it looks like this

NE Gathering 022418 038 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Riding the single chair

NE Gathering 022418 055 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Double chair area from the single

NE Gathering 022418 070 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Single chair lift line

NE Gathering 022418 072 DC ACR Conv.jpg
View from Antelope

Sugarbush

NE Gathering 022418 087 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Super Bravo morning line

NE Gathering 022418 094 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View from the top

NE Gathering 022418 097 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Mrs. @LKLA and @LKLA Jr.

NE Gathering 022418 110 DC ACR Conv.jpg
More blue bumps!

NE Gathering 022418 126 DC ACR Conv.jpg
@Pumba and Peter on Slide Brook

NE Gathering 022418 138 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Slide Brook is loooooonnngggg

NE Gathering 022418 154 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Still very wintery at the top of Mt. Ellen

NE Gathering 022418 164 DC ACR Conv.jpg
@MarkP , @LKLA , and me

NE Gathering 022418 204 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View of Mt. Lincoln side coming back on Slide Brook

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If by some miracle Saddleback ever re-opens, I'd love to head back there in some capacity. But I'm not holding my breath. For Massachusetts / New York residents though, Maine makes "Northern Vermont" look positively close. Especially when you let @Tony S do the driving and after 45 minutes on I-95 you hear "oh yeah, we should have taken that exit 15 miles ago". :eek: You have been to this place before, yes? :)

Seriously, Northern Vermont has a great combination of terrain, reliable (for New England) snowfall, plentiful lodging and beer.

@ScottB , hope you can join us next year!

Hey now! We had six!
View attachment 43014

Six? That is clearly a lame photoshop. Tony is taller than KevinF in that pic. Tony is smiling. And MDF has modern boots. :D