• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Shirley is groomed 1-5 pretty much daily right now and Sibo is only groomed on the ridge and lower face race runs. Some good turns in Reuters trees but rainbow bowl was getting pretty sun cupped as of yesterday. Emigrant lift is closed so only a couple groomers on GC. Everything else is off the reverse traverse. Mountain run closed as of today but with squaw patrol "advised" usually means you can get down if you want to ski over to hourglass/slot/ horse trails and bushwhack your way back to mountain run then to the bottom. If you want to be sure stop at the sibo patrol shack and check before you traverse all the way out if you don't see anyone else going out that way.

View attachment 45682

Thank you for all the info. Super useful. Skied solo and still had a blast.

I started at the Gold Coast groomers drilling for about an hour. From 8:30 to 9:30

20180512_084308.jpg

Then I moved to Shirley, which was so so. Too many people, icy patches, sticky at the bottom. Here are a couple pics:

20180512_095527_HDR.jpg 20180512_100136.jpg

By the time some lunatic almost crashes another guy at 40 miles per hour, just because he thought he would straight-line the bottom part of the run, and finally missed the poles and ropes on the side of the run by about 10 inches, I thought it was time to look for quiet.

So I went to Sibo. Great decision.

20180512_104646.jpg 20180512_104704_HDR.jpg 20180512_105152.jpg 20180512_110631.jpg 20180512_111225.jpg 20180512_113434_HDR.jpg

I just LOVED it. I took the easier lines in the Siberia Bowl, and then all the way down in different ways. I think I lapped 5 to 7 times. This is my third time at Squaw, I normally go towards the end of the season for a day. But I think I can get used to this :D

I just loved messing around, looking for areas with virgin snow and just letting the rallies rip (boy I love those skis). \Some pics from the lower part of the Sibo bowl, going back to the lift

20180512_113437_HDR.jpg 20180512_115354.jpg 20180512_115357_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Thank you for all the info. Super useful. Skied solo and still had a blast.

I started at the Gold Coast groomers drilling for about an hour. From 8:30 to 9:30

View attachment 45737

Then I moved to Shirley, which was so so. Too many people, icy patches, sticky at the bottom. Here are a couple pics:

View attachment 45738 View attachment 45739

By the time some lunatic almost crashes another guy at 40 miles per hour, just because he thought he would straight-line the bottom part of the run, and finally missed the poles and ropes on the side of the run by about 10 inches, I thought it was time to look for quiet.

So I went to Sibo. Great decision.

View attachment 45741 View attachment 45742 View attachment 45743 View attachment 45744 View attachment 45745 View attachment 45746

I just LOVED it. I took the easier lines in the Siberia Bowl, and then all the way down in different ways. I think I lapped 5 to 7 times. This is my third time at Squaw, I normally go towards the end of the season for a day. But I think I can get used to this :D

I just loved messing around, looking for areas with virgin snow and just letting the rallies rip (boy I love those skis). \Some pics from the lower part of the Sibo bowl, going back to the lift

View attachment 45747 View attachment 45748 View attachment 45749
Yeah, it was pretty decent today at squaw. I went out from 11-1 and did 6 laps down headwall chairline, 1 sibo ridge, and 1 rainbow.
Almost didn't go out since it was cloudy over here but was nice and sunny upper mountain. Glad I went out!

Rode the chair with a kid out from Colorado spring training on the zipper course. Had some sweet Fischer bump skis that looked like a ton of fun, looked crazy damp for how short and only 60 something underfoot. The kids training up there right now are the real deal. I witnessed some impressive bump skiing up there the last few days. image.jpeg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Oh the snow flower, always a bittersweet yet beautiful sight in the high Sierra. Is sight pretty much marks the end of ski season.

For those unfamiliar it's a mushroom like fungus that grows off the roots of conifer trees in California. After the snow melts and the ground stops freezing (for at least a 7-10 day stretch) it almost magically pushes up overnight. It's bright red color makes it easily spotted against the Forrest floor. They usually pop up for a few week period in mid spring, but immediately turn brown and die when temps hit the 70/80s.

image.jpeg

Looks like a mixed bag this week, but might be able to squeeze out a few days at squaw before closing next weekend..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Damn..I have some skis to get on.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stopped by Squaw Monday on my Roadtrip from VA to SF. I was a little worried as it was raining pretty hard on the drive up to the mountain from my overnight stop in Reno, but I had a couple hours to kill and an Ikon pass so went for it anyway. Was surprised at how great it was up top, sunny and pleasant. Snow was perfectly soft. Hope to be back up this weekend depending on which day has better weather.
IMG_20180514_095242.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been raining pretty steady since about noon yesterday. Next couple days looking about the same but you never know around here.

Squaw weather View attachment 46018
Well that's not good. I could be done with skiing, but my daughter hasn't skied since March and wants to get in a trip. Don't know if it would be better to go tomorrow or wait until the weekend.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Well that's not good. I could be done with skiing, but my daughter hasn't skied since March and wants to get in a trip. Don't know if it would be better to go tomorrow or wait until the weekend.

Like I said, you never know.. It's definitely snowing up top currently. Weather we get a few inches and a clear window in the am before it turns back to rain is anyone's guess

image.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
We are going to give it a shot unless it begins raining before we leave south shore.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Went for it just cuz my brother wanted to get in the number of days to equal his age.
Pretty cloudy when we arrived at 8:15. Our first run on Gold Coast was a nice soft rain corn with a thin layer of fresh Elmer’s glue on top. We thought it may be a one & done kinda day but found things to be nice & slipppery on Old Salty (the farthest open run skiers right on Shirley Lake where they usually do race training) or #5. Did not even bother with Siberia as report from @Near Nyquist confirmed it was a sticky mess.
026D5C7D-3AE5-4222-92D9-C313F59341B2.jpeg 0DAC3365-BD3D-4806-ACFF-8C47E8E8FA75.jpeg

Watch your step, or maybe bring some fishing gear...
BC0708BC-7ACE-4B77-B140-912AEB821AE5.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Went for it just cuz my brother wanted to get in the number of days to equal his age.
Pretty cloudy when we arrived at 8:15. Our first run on Gold Coast was a nice soft rain corn with a thin layer of fresh Elmer’s glue on top. We thought it may be a one & done kinda day but found things to be nice & slipppery on Old Salty (the farthest open run skiers right on Shirley Lake where they usually do race training) or #5. Did not even bother with Siberia as report from @Near Nyquist confirmed it was a sticky mess.
View attachment 46080 View attachment 46081

Watch your step, or maybe bring some fishing gear...
View attachment 46082
Looks like you found some fun.
I started cleaning out the Yukon after a winter's worth of ski trips and found that.....well, it takes a while to clean a winter's worth of ski trips out of a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online