• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Went for it just cuz my brother wanted to get in the number of days to equal his age.
Pretty cloudy when we arrived at 8:15. Our first run on Gold Coast was a nice soft rain corn with a thin layer of fresh Elmer’s glue on top. We thought it may be a one & done kinda day but found things to be nice & slipppery on Old Salty (the farthest open run skiers right on Shirley Lake where they usually do race training) or #5. Did not even bother with Siberia as report from @Near Nyquist confirmed it was a sticky mess.
View attachment 46080 View attachment 46081

Watch your step, or maybe bring some fishing gear...
View attachment 46082
This was an elmers glue day for sure

IMG_7982.JPG
At least I got on the bike in the afternoon

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Went for it just cuz my brother wanted to get in the number of days to equal his age.
Pretty cloudy when we arrived at 8:15. Our first run on Gold Coast was a nice soft rain corn with a thin layer of fresh Elmer’s glue on top. We thought it may be a one & done kinda day but found things to be nice & slipppery on Old Salty (the farthest open run skiers right on Shirley Lake where they usually do race training) or #5. Did not even bother with Siberia as report from @Near Nyquist confirmed it was a sticky mess.
View attachment 46080 View attachment 46081

Watch your step, or maybe bring some fishing gear...
View attachment 46082

This was an elmers glue day for sure

View attachment 46179
At least I got on the bike in the afternoon

How do you guys think it's looking for Saturday? I see rain and thunderstorms in the forecast ...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
How do you guys think it's looking for Saturday? I see rain and thunderstorms in the forecast ...
Sun is shining from where I sit now. I bet it will be fine tomorrow, at least for the morning.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like Squaw's demo sale is starting this weekend. Has anyone been to previous years? Worth checking out or is it mostly overpriced/abused?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Stuck in a wierd weather pattern. 30% chance of rain showers/overcast.
Many very weak cold fronts passing thru.any combination of sun, passing showers
or lightning (some closures maybe) is possible.

All of last week and all of the next 7 days. Any given day is a crap shoot
you got to just go !

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Today skied like velvet in the AM
Ramp run was so smooth around 9:00 AM

Sunny till around 11:00 AM
Then thunder bumpers started moving in

Trip through National and up reverse traverse to north bowl

Today was nothing like yesterday

Mountain shut down by lightning at 1:30 or so

I have a hunch there will be more of the same tomorrow

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Stuck in a wierd weather pattern. 30% chance of rain showers/overcast.
Many very weak cold fronts passing thru.any combination of sun, passing showers
or lightning (some closures maybe) is possible.

All of last week and all of the next 7 days. Any given day is a crap shoot
you got to just go !
^QFT
Today began sunny and stayed that way for most of the morning. I skied till noon when it began getting cloudy. By the afternoon things look pretty threatening. Better skiing today than yesterday.

From the car park...
33F6513D-B4E0-4875-B682-93B79BC020ED.jpeg

Upper mountain from Gold Coast
CD8A8FEA-A29B-4FA8-9A87-93A5C134F45F.jpeg

After a few runs in Shirley Lake area, spent the rest of the morning making laps on the perfectly shaped moguls which apparently are now open to the public. Made my day!
13BEFFE7-6D0C-4283-AA4D-636DB006AE5D.jpeg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Off and on rain started at 1:30 ending near evening Friday..
Snow surface is something between cream cheese and corn. Good early but getting super
slushy by noon or 1pm. most quit by then. Not sticky until afternoon sun beats it up.

Shirley Lake has best snow. Think skiing starts at 8am.
Outdoor bar at Shammy opens Fri to Sun. met @Near Nyquist for a quick brewski after ski.
hth.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'm trying to get to Squaw for Sunday, but it means a little tuning and a lot of waxing on skis and packing this afternoon as it sounds like I will have to be on road not much after 4 AM to get to Squaw, setup my Ikon and get some runs before snow deteriorates and/or thunderstorms start. I don't mind quitting early since it's my first skiing in almost a month and plan to go to So Tahoe to watch Warriors and spend night before another early start to get to Mammoth for a couple of days (or three if Tioga does not open until Wednesday - it's scheduled for Monday, but my phone had some snow predicted for Mammoth Monday). If anyone will be around and want to try to get together, send me a PM and call or text if you have my number.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Went up with Mendieta Jr. It is always, every time, memorable, when you get to ski with your kids.

Top of one of the runs at Shirley:
20180519_095034.jpg

The top part was beautifully creamy. The bottom was firm (shaded) and boy, frozen, with clear jumps between machine grooming lanes. I caught one, took air, landed, and hit the next lane, left ski hit something (there were blocks of ice here and there), and released, I flew a few yards, typical racer crash I guess, sliding 25 yards at speed on ice. Idiot. Worst crash of the season but no Injury. I had to repair the brake on the spot.
20180519_095521.jpg

We then went to Sibo. Had a lot of fun with mini me:
20180519_104516_HDR.jpg
20180519_104520.jpg
20180519_110634.jpg

All in all, the rain during the week clearly deteriorated conditions. Significantly. But I spent a great day with my son. I couldn't ask for more :)

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I ran into @Near Nyquist and @Unpiste about 830 after getting my Spring/Summer Ikon pass for Squaw. We rode funitel together, but I lost them before getting on snow. Maybe they were waiting for @Luqi and another person whose screen name I can't find. I did three laps on Gold Coast where snow was good early then three on Siberia IMG_5940.JPG before moving to Shirley where I found them. After at least 12 laps on Shirley, I went back to Siberia and skied North Bowl where top was good. Next time up I was about to start hike to Palisades and @Near Nyquist called to say he and @Unpiste were at top where they waited for me. We all did three laps into National Chute and I did three Reverse Traverses. Snow stayed good up high.

After skiing I went by my bootfitter where they stuck some foam on back of liner to try to get rid of small space that has developed after over 100 days use. Then I drove to So Tahoe where I stopped at South Tahoe Brewing Co, the only place on beer trail there I had not been before. I did not try the beer sampler ski which holds at least two more samples than are in this picture. They also have smaller ones. IMG_5942.JPG
I also have some pictures of @Near Nyquist in National Chute, but they are on my camera and laptop which don't have Internet unless I go out which is not likely since I will be on road to Mammoth early tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
As promised, following are pictures of @Near Nyquist in National Chute on Sunday. Not sure how today would have been at Squaw as I think there was minimal or no freeze. Where I was in So. Tahoe Sun. night there was some drizzle.

1809TomNational.JPG 1810TomCloseGoingBy.JPG
Next picture has @Unpiste at left and that is Reverse Traverse behind him
1811TomNatBelowMe.JPG
1812TomNationalCornice.JPG
Above @Near_Nyquist is the entrance that has always tempted me, but I have not done it. I cut across in the shadow in the middle and turned on the steep ramp twice, but have not entered from top of that very steep cornice. Maybe I don't need to do it. A few others were doing it including a kid may not have even been 10.

I think that is Main Chute, which was open, entering from center. 1813TomMainNational.JPG

Attachments

• 1812TomNationalCornice.JPG
    1812TomNationalCornice.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 4

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were inspired to hit Squaw today so @Rainbow Jenny @Philpug and I loaded up the VW and went up early-ish. We were on snow by 9:15 and headed over to Shirley. The runs far skiers right skied well, while other areas were sluggish, although not completely sticky.
Shirley was shut down by 10:30 due to thunder/potential lightening, so we headed to Gold Coast and took a few runs before they started to close the rest of the lifts down.
It was fascinating to see how the snow is melting off Moseley's and 75 Chute
I snapped a few shots of the day.

Moseley's and 75 Chute
67F26384-F8A9-4C0A-AD67-AADEF9266445.jpeg
Siberia
80EB6E7C-14B9-458F-8C6E-84299FF4A987.jpeg
@Rainbow Jenny and @Leigh
2E8219A9-A794-40C0-8523-9D3A9AA06EC4.jpeg
@Philpug
ABB2F266-C954-4CC0-8EC3-B52583D79E5D.jpeg
@Leigh and @Rainbow Jenny
4D58185D-159A-4F05-B24B-DA5C73974C20.jpeg
Dark clouds getting darker
A5A5CFCA-E13F-4D56-81C6-9FFD4D3664A4.jpeg
A rainbow over Reno
08BE3FF3-B57E-4ABF-A6AC-DD64E95676BD.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone ski the wiggle?
We didn't, and there weren't many people skiing off Siberia because it was sticky.
There were people hitting the Wiggle below Funnel off Shirley Lake. That was considerably deeper.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Need to make it out once this week to hit 100 days but my motivation has been lacking. The text chains these days are for golf or biking ever since KT closed. Maybe tomorrow early? Looks like the weather will be nice Sunday and Monday finally

Some Squaw trivia...

Why is it called "Chute 75"??

Status
Not open for further replies.