• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Whistler shuts down April 22 then it's Blackcomb only to May 22

Looks like Crystal is also sticking to their April 22 closing date

Mt Hood Skibowl. Lots of ravens trying to score lunch while people were outside in the hot sunny weather. Closing April 15th.

Turns out I will be in Oregon June 1. Anything open in the PNW that weekend? I've heard that Mt. Hood has summer skiing camps. But, maybe not in June?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

Tony

tseeb
Skier
wed had the better snow
today the better visibility. Started bluebird but filtered later in day more fresh expected tomorrow.
Last weekend for Whistler, then its' Blackcomb only.
Coverage is very good mid hill up although down at peak to creek base did a bit of patch skiing on that last face.
Gondola and lower Franz have better cover and are probably the better choice if making that last run to Creekside on Sunday.
no bears on runs yet
Tues was also very good although it started snowing about 1 pm and was dumping by 3. Tues was my son's 3rd and last day here and I got him into Sapphire and Ruby Bowls and into Saudan's Couloir from the top. Wed was so good at Whistler that we were not tempted to go to Blackcomb where visibility looked worse. I was finding untracked and lightly tracked snow until after 3 pm and it was cold enough that it skied well.

Today (Thurs) was our last day, my 6th in a row and my wife's 5th. By carrying her skis on the hike, I got her into Blackcomb Glacier where she had a bad experience due to whiteout during Gathering last year. While waiting for her on way down late this AM, I spotted a steep line into Sapphire Bowl (that may have been the one Extremely Canadian got us into 2 years ago) that I later skied. After lunch, I also got through a steep keyhole between rocks in Ruby Bowl that I always wanted to try. Leaving early tomorrow to drive to Bend where we plan to ski Bachelor on Sat. My wife has downloaded the Creekside gondola the last three days as she did not want to ski the soft snow with tired legs.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
glad you got a least some good vis for a few runs in the gem bowls, very nice skiing there but I never find it fun in whiteouts either.
hope you enjoyed the trip

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
for those of you planning on skiing Blackcomb after the weekend be aware that Solar Coaster and the old Catskinner chair will not run after Sunday. The area will be roped off.

They are going for an early start on the construction of the new 10 passenger gondola up from base and replacement of Catskinner for opening day next year - if they wait for the snow to melt it might be in July.

This will reduce intermediate runs available but no shortage of those on Blackcomb.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Last day of the season for me today (day 57) since I'm all tied up this weekend and all of the local areas close after Sunday.

We were at Mt. Baker. It was sunny and warm and since they weren't open Monday through Thursday and it had snowed during that time, there was about 3 or 4 inches of new. However, the stuff was as heavy as snow can get and it was topped with a nice crust. The expert snowboarders seemed to be enjoying it, but I did not. The groomers were fun for a while but the snow got sticky from the direct sun and Baker doesn't have much in the way of groomers, so I got bored in a hurry.

The snow pack is way over 100% (something like 145%) of average and there is more snow now than at any time in the season. I wish it was skiable.

I'm looking forward to next season.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turns out I will be in Oregon June 1. Anything open in the PNW that weekend? I've heard that Mt. Hood has summer skiing camps. But, maybe not in June?
Last year in early June, they had Palmer, Magic Mile, and Storming Norman open. I went out for a few days because I had never been. I wasn't too impressed with the conditions (but it was early June) or the mountain (but at least I was skiing). $76 for a ticket IIRC.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
$76 US to ski on a glacier in June ?
might just be me but isn't that pricey ? are lunch and lessons included ?
never skied Hood but I've skied on Glaciers in June July August , a few hours are ok as a novelty but its never that expensive.
although it has been a few years and the skiing never seemed worth doing twice, so what do i know.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
$76 US to ski on a glacier in June ?
might just be me but isn't that pricey ? are lunch and lessons included ?
never skied Hood but I've skied on Glaciers in June July August , a few hours are ok as a novelty but its never that expensive.
although it has been a few years and the skiing never seemed worth doing twice, so what do i know.

Just go, you will regret it all summer if you don't.

Besides, whee else can you have that much fun legally for $76?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
locally, the coast, Baker area and nearer Banff - although most done as a side venture while hiking.
For Glacier travel it's a very good idea to be with someone who has experience. Dying is very possible.

The lift accessed summer skiing here (used to be on Whistler now it's on Blackcomb) is ok but unless your taking part in a camp it's more of a novelty. Hours when the snow is anywhere near reasonable are fairly limited.

You could also drive up Baker and ski adjacent the upper parking lot or even off the road for free when it opens, many do. Snow patches will also still be possible adjacent the north cascade highway and in many other passes in BC well into June.

not trying to discourage you but sometimes the idea of skiing in the summer sounds better than it actually is, I wouldn't spend a lot for it

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
very nice skiing at Whistler over the weekend.
bluebird sky today, still winter snow in alpine, still managed some untracked turns, below mid to valley the corn was even nice enough we did it twice.
the usual end of season wrap up attire although honestly i never tell can if it's retro or just old gear.
on to Blackcomb.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
image.jpg My wife and I skied Bachelor on Saturday, with local friends and two of their young teenage children. My record on Summit being open is down to 1 out of 5 in three trips over last few years. I skipped Bachelor on way up 10 days ago as windy storm that was sure to close it was predicted. Instead, I talked my wife into breaking up our trip home with a day at Bachelor using the pair of tickets I bought online.

Weather seemed like Summit would spin, but we were surprised to find it snowing when we arrived and some wind at mid-mountain. Clouds quickly cleared and winds died but Summit had a mechanical problem that kept it closed. I heard it was a fuse which seems like it should be easily fixed and also heard problem was discovered Fri when shutting down and could not be fixed.

Conditions on Cloudchaser were good early. Some of Northwest was too firm early and bottom of it got sticky in early PM, but that's what happens when chair is 2350' vertical. Some of Pine Marten was still good until 3 although without Summit, you lose a lot of Bachelor best steep terrain. My wife enjoyed her two nights staying with friends in Bend and her first day skiing Bachelor in 30 years (on top of our two nights there last August for the Eclipse) enough that it's on our short list of places to move if we ever leave CA.

We also took advantage of 10 Barrel brewery event at base of Skyliner. They had a DJ and were selling 25 ounce cans of their Pub Draft for $6.50. We stopped at Deschutes Tap Room on way back to Bend and filled growler with Fresh Chair beer - a collaboration with Crux not available in bottles or cans. Picture is my wife and I on road near top of Northwest with South Sister at left, probably North Sister between us and Broken Top at right.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
to date Blackcomb has been unexciting. So warm last week even the gem bowls shut down. A few slides to ground.
Currently open 10 -4. Didn't bother over weekend . With the wet low cloud it may have been fairly miserable.
This time of year has to be a decent day, even if it's free. Expect a few more days as weather cooperates but the focus is shifting to ocean.
Enjoy the summer, it's short.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
may be the only one left in this thread
Blackcomb skied much better this week but warmed up today
Am was nice skiing the corn on groomers and while it did become increasing slushy the steeps and bumps were still fun.
Lots of avy debris in many areas -many areas roped because of it. 7th, Glacier, Crystal and Jersey Cream still running along with the other two for up load,
first download since December - construction crews have now cut a road crisscrossing the hill, so while snow is still possible its not practical.
no bears encountered.

could be the last day for me

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Mt. Bachelor still has until May 27th if it doesn't all melt early! Old snow corn slush is great, just hit it early!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:yahoo::yeah::yahoo:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Peaks web cam.
sundance.jpg

I posted this same web cam shot from yesterday on the Sun Peaks Unofficial Guide thread with the comment that opening day is 6-7 weeks away, so likely some of this snow will not be there for the opening, and some has already melted.

2 of the runs pictured have snow making and the 5 Mile Run, that all of the runs pictured above feed into, also has snow making. One of these runs, OSV, is set up for race training and will open for ski clubs from across Canada to come and train in about 4 weeks time.

Melting or not, an early snowfall has got me psyched for the start of the ski season.:yahoo::daffy:

Sponsor

Staff online