• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your work commute and commuting history

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Age 21-35 I worked in cabinetry then retail management with different work locations anywhere from 5-75 miles away but mostly short gigs. From 1999-2005 I worked in the Durham RTP NC area never more than 20 minutes on a bad day.

2007-present I am a business analyst for a major network architecture and equipment provider 99% home office telecommuter. I wake up, put fuzzy slippers on, push the kids out the door, kiss the wife goodbye for the day then log in to work. Put my busy status up to take a shower or make a meal, then usually log off at 4:30pm eastern. I hope to never have to waste an hour a day, gas and vehicle wear, etc just to go to work ever again.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Worked on a takeover, which required a weekly commute between Melbourne and Wellington (NZ). Three hour flight, if direct, and weather was kind, plus time difference. Fly out Sunday afternoon, arrive midnight; fly home Friday, arriving around 9pm. Repeat next week, and the week after, and... for 4 or 5 months.

Anybody who thinks commuting by jet is cool has not done it.

In later years, the commute became 30 minutes on...

220px-W7_1022_in_La_Trobe_St_on_route_30%2C_2008_%28tram%29.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Being retired, I no longer commute. Spent about five years taking the train into NYC, then 19 years driving the New Jersey highways to one location or another, with one of those years also driving 60 miles each way to Allentown, PA. Somehow managed not to die. After 14 years in Whitefish, can no longer abide city traffic of any sort. I used to be able to "turn a switch" as I entered Portland or Denver, but those days are done. I get absolutely terrified. Due to lack of use, I think my reaction time at speeds over 45 mph is just gone. (Really. A trip to Kalispell is stressful.)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Through my long career (34 years), I tried very hard to live by the coffee cup rule.

Work within the driving time it takes to drink a cup of coffee from the house.

This career that is not working out too well currently 800 miles from the house.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Through my long career (34 years), I tried very hard to live by the coffee cup rule.

Work within the driving time it takes to drink a cup of coffee from the house.

This career that is not working out too well currently 800 miles from the house.
That's a lot of cups of coffee.
Do you still have the house at Warm Beach?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That's a lot of cups of coffee.
Do you still have the house at Warm Beach?

Nope, we have relocated back to the area we raised the kids. We are in Spokane as a base. I am working on a project in Buffalo Wyoming; with another little stop of 2 years in SW Oregon in between. The money is just too good not to do this.

PM me if you are headed east this winter, we got a bed for you guys.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Last 15 years I lived .75 miles (5 minutes) from my office and commuted 1 to 2 times per week to my ski/bike/hike house. As of last Tuesday,. I now live at my ski house, sold my place in Denver and commute 70 miles each way 2 to 3 times per week. Happy with it so far, ask me again in April 2018.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the minor subplot of business travel...

Part of the problem, is that typically the coworkers want to go back to the hotel and drink in the bar. But I had the fortune to work and travel with one friend who would always say "what is there to do in this town?" and we would go off looking for something interesting to do or see, or at least a more interesting place to drink. He got laid off and moved on to another job in another city, and business travel is a lot less fun now.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well if you're ever at a loose end at Wentworth or Sunningdale let me know and I'll show you the mighty indoor snow of Mt Hemel.

What????

Indoor snow in Surrey?

I'm all in. I typically spend a few idle days in the Sunningdale area every year. Count me in for sure. Details?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well if you're ever at a loose end at Wentworth or Sunningdale let me know and I'll show you the mighty indoor snow of Mt Hemel.

Wait, isn't that just up the road from Ascot? My company is based in Egham but we regularly hold meetings at the Berystede in Ascot.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I wake up, brush my teeth and walk through the kitchen into my office. Sometimes I have to avoid the dogs and cat on the way to work, but usually they are still asleep.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
lucky I'm just 8 miles on a nice country road from my house to my office about a 12min drive longer slowing down for deer and turkeys and other wildlife. I sell real estate so I drive most days showing houses and some weeks rack up over 500miles. My cars have 30K/+/yr... but about 10-12k is traveling to Vt to ski (120miles RT to Kmart or Okemo)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anyplace with a decent broadband connection can be my office. Last summer I took the work PC to great wolf lodge and worked 8-4 there a couple days then hit the fun stuff. I'd never be able to do that at a ski house though. I'd be fired for always being offline during daylight hours hahaha.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My current temp job is the closest I've ever lived from work. It's just under 6 miles. It's part time and might be permanent. Once the salary commutes it'll be more money and I could live off of it fine. I'm digging the schedule and working so close to home. It's amazing, 30 hours a week, I'm off work at 2pm and I have time to do stuff and then go home and take care of stuff at home. I like this and it's worth the less than full time $$ for me. Besides they buy us lunch every day so that gets taken into account as well. We'll see what happens. In the meantime I'm enjoying this thoroughly.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My commutes have varied quite a bit including: 20 minutes of country-side two-lane blacktop, 35 minutes of Toronto traffic, 60 minutes of two-lane blacktop with about 20 miles of very twisty-turny road in the sticks (between Perth Road Village and Westport with lots of posted 40 kph to 70 kph turns). The 60 minute commute was the most fun, unless I got stuck behind a slow-poke on my favorite section.

For the last two years, thanks to knowing someone who managed an apartment building, I have an apartment that is a 4 minute walk from my work.

Sponsor

Staff online