• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Would you bring Snow Chains for Car Rentals?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
This year is worse than last year in terms of Large SUV AWD/4WD rental prices. Last year prices were crazy, but they gradually came down to relatively reasonable rates the closer we got to the trip. This year it does not appear to be happening.

Here's the set up: Many car rentals don't even guarantee this, but Enterprise specifically offers Suburban/Tahoe level vehicles as either Premium SUV or Premium SUV AWD. If I go with just Premium SUV, I'm not guaranteed AWD/4WD - possible, but not guaranteed. If I go with Premium SUV AWD I'm guaranteed 4WD/AWD...But, the SUV with 4WD is $1,100 more than the SUV with "possibly" 4WD. Super expensive.

First time I've had to consider this, but wondering: have any of you ever traveled with your own tire chains and put them on the rental if needed? I'm thinking of picking up a set of large SUV truck chains and just bringing them with me and then going with the lower cost rental in case I can't get AWD/4WD...but maybe this is super stupid and not practical.
If you've done this, any recommendations on chains I could fly with?

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Years ago we rented a car and could add chains to the rental. See if that can be done.
Good point.

I checked this. Not all car companies allow this.

For enterprise, It's "allowed" if required by law (i.e. I'm thinking UDot cottonwoods and Colorado in this case) but otherwise you're not allowed.

It's also not endorsed because they don't want you driving in areas where Chains would be needed in the first place.

(By the way, my reading on Enterprise appears very subjective. As a point against doing this, it appears Enterprise could give me a really hard time with this even if UDot or i70 put up the chain law that day)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I did it once ten years ago. Went on a two week ski trip flying in and out of SFO. I rented an extended base minivan cheaply for a two week ski trip to Mt. Bachelor and Lake Tahoe for a party of four. It worked out very well for comfort and toting gear without ski rack. We hit one day in Tahoe with a foot of fresh and a few days before I bought $50 chains to get around just in case. When the storm happened I paid some guys (common side-hustle on Tahoe powder days) on the side of the highway near South Lake Tahoe to put them on for me. Had a great powder day at Sierra at Tahoe. then threw chains away in a trash can near SFO at end of trip. Best $50 I ever spent, chain up fee was around $20 IIRC. They are easy to take off. Rental company never knew or complained about what I did.
sierra at tahoe jim.jpg

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Les Schwab will give you your money back if you don’t use the chains. At least they used to when I lived in Oregon. Btw, Oregon is requiring the chain up guys to get licensed, guess people will have to put their own chains on now. Part of Oregon’s “if it’s allowed, it’s required, and you’ll need to pay a fee” philosophy.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would consider the alternative of something like the Auto Sock. Might not give you the same performance of chains but you have less to worry about with wheel damage, clearance issues, ABS and ESC. I do not believe they are legal in all states as a chain replacement so that is a consideration. But I could be wrong so research required to confirm. I know they are good for use here in CO.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably biggest issue is not knowing the tire size in advance. Maybe check stores near to the rental car location that sell chains. If you get AWD, you are good to go. If not, check the tire size and go buy a set that will fit.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If I were driving in conditions where chains might be needed, I would be sure to have them available, be it rental chains from wherever, rented at a chain up point, my own chains or otherwise. I would not want to be caught without them where they might be needed. Be aware that chains do limit speed and increase wear. The latter is probably why car rental companies don't like them.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
This year is worse than last year in terms of Large SUV AWD/4WD rental prices. Last year prices were crazy, but they gradually came down to relatively reasonable rates the closer we got to the trip. This year it does not appear to be happening.

Here's the set up: Many car rentals don't even guarantee this, but Enterprise specifically offers Suburban/Tahoe level vehicles as either Premium SUV or Premium SUV AWD. If I go with just Premium SUV, I'm not guaranteed AWD/4WD - possible, but not guaranteed. If I go with Premium SUV AWD I'm guaranteed 4WD/AWD...But, the SUV with 4WD is $1,100 more than the SUV with "possibly" 4WD. Super expensive.

First time I've had to consider this, but wondering: have any of you ever traveled with your own tire chains and put them on the rental if needed? I'm thinking of picking up a set of large SUV truck chains and just bringing them with me and then going with the lower cost rental in case I can't get AWD/4WD...but maybe this is super stupid and not practical.
Tires come in all different sizes, and so do chains/cables. If you knew the exact make/mode/tire size of the vehicle you're renting at a rental agency, then you can bring the exact chains/cables with you.

Best probably stop by a store that sells chains/cables with the rental car, and if you don't use it, on the way back, return it.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OP, may already know this, but a lot of regions of US don't sell chains over the counter. You'd have to mail-order them. What I did on my Tahoe trip was buy them from an auto store near Tahoe that I drove to with my rental vehicle. Store sold me exact size chains needed for the tires on my rental vehicle. I believe I was able to return the chains if I didn't use them. For that reason it might be good to buy them from an auto store with numerous locations so you can return at convenient spot if not used.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Part of Oregon’s “if it’s allowed, it’s required, and you’ll need to pay a fee” philosophy.
I wonder if the guy who has to pump your gas in OR can put the chains on too! :ogbiggrin:

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks everyone.

Re Chain Size...the car will be either an Expedition or Suburban and they run usually 265-275. So I had envisioned getting one for that size in advance.

The autosock is an interesting idea. Will look into that too.

If I do this I plan to practice on my suburban before I head out.

I wish the Mt. West was closer; I'd just drive. 20 hours is a long drive each way, though. As prices keep rising, my incentive to drive grows.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
We used to do this all the time in Europe. Rent car, stop at auto parts store, buy chains or those webbed tire socks. If we needed them, great. If not return for refund on the way back... 75 euros well spent.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where are you going? Are you flying in? Have you ever seen the carrying case for chains that fit a large SUV? It's not small and its not light. The practicality of flying with them is not high. If you are going to Colorado most Wallmarts sell chains. As suggested above, buy them there and return if you don't use them. A decent set of chains is $120ish at Wallmart for that size vehicle. Finally a RWD only Expedition or Suburban are horrible snow vehicles. When I leave my Expedition in RWD only it slides all over the place. 4WD is another matter. I would rather have a front wheel drive van.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wish the Mt. West was closer; I'd just drive. 20 hours is a long drive each way, though. As prices keep rising, my incentive to drive grows.
I drove to CO last winter from NY rather than flying for some of the reasons you mention. Cost and availability of rental cars was a big one. Other big one was the troubles that the airlines were having with the least little weather hiccup a year ago. That was looking better until this disaster with Southwest Airlines. Of course we stay for 3+ weeks so different consideration compared to a 1 week or less stay. I am driving out again this winter.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think driving vs. flying not only depends on cost and time but perspective. Growing up in Pennsylvania we'd drive the Poconos near Stroudsburg all. the. way. to. Camp Hill near Harrisburg. It took 2 hours! Inconceivable as a kid. Since moving to Nevada, two hours is a run to get lunch on a nice weekend day. Spending a day in the car will get you to SLC, 13-15 hours and you're in CO, WY, or MT.

I am fortunate to have the time to drive and don't mind it. I drive to Tucson to visit Mom and have done Reno-Tucson in one shot a couple of times, but usually stop in Kingman on the way down and Beatty on the way back.

8 hours in the car back East was hard to even think about. Out west it's pretty normal.

OH, chains! That's what we're talking about! Buy them once you get where you're going but practice at home. It sucks hard to be putting them on in a storm with people whipping by.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Have you looked at the Air BnB type services for vehicles? People rent their car/SUV/truck to you. Find one with AWD and good snows. Golden!

Sponsor