• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well good for Brignone!
Very happy I got to see her at the bib draw at Killington Fri night, and the gs on Saturday.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James no idea. For now all is ok, but things are changing on daily basis, so honestly I would actually be surprised if they would run it and get it through.
As for organizers I'm sure they won't to get it through regardless of what, as on the end its all about money and who cares about racers and everyone else involved. But having 3 Infront guys (considering statement saying sponsor support team, I can't think none else then Infront ) sick in Are, and having whole Infront team (99% of them are Italians), in Kranjska Gora, just can't make me believe it will go through normally. But we will see In 3 days.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Do they put an asterisk by the winner for the cancellation due to the circumstances?

Well you guys already know how I feel on this subject. So my vote is "totally" for the asterisk. Sorry, but a cancellation of the remaining events for a shortened season absolutely 100% garners an asterisk. I'm not taking anything away from Brignone's performance throughout the season, but her globe does not equal previous globes given the circumstances.

Let the hate flames begin... ;)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well you guys already know how I feel on this subject. So my vote is "totally" for the asterisk. Sorry, but a cancellation of the remaining events for a shortened season absolutely 100% garners an asterisk. I'm not taking anything away from Brignone's performance throughout the season, but her globe does not equal previous globes given the circumstances.

Let the hate flames begin... ;)
Question - if they had cancelled a few events at the beginning of the season, and then it finished normally, would you want the asterisk?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question - if they had cancelled a few events at the beginning of the season, and then it finished normally, would you want the asterisk?

I'm with him. What if the cancellations had been due to weather, or lack of snow, rather than a viral outbreak?

It's ski racing. No matter how hard you try, you're going to have force majeure come into play. In my mind, enough of the season's contests were held to not need an asterisk.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A short season is a short season front end or back end it doesn't matter. When other globe winners had to race x number of races and now someone only has x minus one or two it does not compute as fair. How many times has the winner could only be named after the last race?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Next thing you know, you guys are going to want asterisks because races were or weren't on injected surfaces, because there was spring-like snow instead of winter-like snow, because races were run from lowered starts, because the course deteriorated in the second run, because the race was in [name a country], because the race organizers used LISKI vs. SPM gates, because the course-setter was from the same country as the race winner, and because the winner had the unfair advantage of being a better skier than the others.

Does every season where Soelden was cancelled get an asterisk? Or every season where at least one of the days with finals were lost? Does every season with a World Champs or Olympics get an asterisk because some people were peaking for a championship event instead of trying to be consistent throughout the season? Or because some got hurt/tired/inspired at a championship event that carried over into the World Cup?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Asterisk for everyone. My guess is the Froggies will fight hard to make sure the men race this weekend.

Froggies? Really?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the traveling FIS (edit maybe not FIS, but WC in some way) guys tested positive for Covid 19 in Åre. Would be extremely surprised if KG runs. Country of Italy in a lockdown, most Euro countries prohibit events that gather 500 or 1000 people.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Short but great season. Congratulations to all the competitors!!
Brignone was on fire this season. Not sure the outcome would’ve changed much even if circumstances had been different.
let’s hope things normalize for all of us during the off season & next seasons finish.
ogsmile

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Next thing you know, you guys are going to want asterisks because races were or weren't on injected surfaces, because there was spring-like snow instead of winter-like snow, because races were run from lowered starts, because the course deteriorated in the second run, because the race was in [name a country], because the race organizers used LISKI vs. SPM gates, because the course-setter was from the same country as the race winner, and because the winner had the unfair advantage of being a better skier than the others.

Does every season where Soelden was cancelled get an asterisk? Or every season where at least one of the days with finals were lost? Does every season with a World Champs or Olympics get an asterisk because some people were peaking for a championship event instead of trying to be consistent throughout the season? Or because some got hurt/tired/inspired at a championship event that carried over into the World Cup?
You forgot, “because it started snowing in the middle of the race”.

On the flip side, Bode could get an asterix, “*would have won the Hahnenkamm if he didn’t ski on the wall.” Course too narrow! :ogcool:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
My feeling is no asterisk. Who ever is ahead at the point the season is called for whatever reason is the winner period. He or she skied well enough to be in that position. It may not seam or fell right sometimes but that life. Nothing is always perfect.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I don't think there should be an official asterisk, but in my mind there is one with Miki not racing for over a month and then the season getting cut short. Brignone had an incredible season and I'm glad to see her win it, but it did help her one of the greatest skiers of all time was out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ski racing is never fair. A sudden gust of wind in the wrong direction can take away your lead.

You could say Shiffrin has benefitted, in speed especially, from Maze’s retirement, Maria Riesch’s retiring, Vonn’s crippling, Anna Veith’s knee destruction, etc. It’s been a weak field. Does she get an asterix?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ski racing is never fair. A sudden gust of wind in the wrong direction can take away your lead.

You could say Shiffrin has benefitted, in speed especially, from Maze’s retirement, Maria Riesch’s retiring, Vonn’s crippling, Anna Veith’s knee destruction, etc. It’s been a weak field. Does she get an asterix?
Not if they all had the same number of races. But shorten the season and you have a different story.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
In a shortened season they all still have the same number of races. It’s choice if athletes choose not to race certain hills or events that are available ....they all have the same opportunities to compete.

Sponsor

Staff online