• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Bib draw

A22763DD-39B3-40D8-9C1D-3DB748DDD407.jpeg

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Any picks/predictions?
Here’s my quests:

1. Worley
2. Brignone
3. MS

Darkhorse top five pick is Alice Robinson. She will “send it”.....top 5 in first run, or will be flying and ski out 2/3’s of the way down the wall.

My guessing anyways..

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Any picks/predictions?
Here’s my quests:

1. Worley
2. Brignone
3. MS

Darkhorse top five pick is Alice Robinson. She will “send it”.....top 5 in first run, or will be flying and ski out 2/3’s of the way down the wall.

My guessing anyways..
I like your list. Hard to bet against Worley. I will go with:
1. Shiffrin
2. Vlhova
3. Rebensburg

My gut tells me that Worley will win, but you already picked her ;). I think Shiffrin is still in a really good place, we will see if she can remain relaxed & still be the technical animal that she is. I’ve gotta give Rebensburg an outside chance because I think if she can keep it together she is as fast as anyone on that hill. Brignone has the speed too but she will lean in on the pitch for a turn or two & loose too much.

I have no basis for my picks as I have no knowledge of their training or condition at this time. Although I don’t know enough about Alice Robinson & her ability to perform consistently on the World Cup stage, I will give credit to her end of season performance, her grit, and youth. Tomorrow should tell us something more about her.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well that was pretty surprising. First run was normal up to number 9, and pretty much what I expected, as I was pretty sure they don't even need to run WC season and just give globe to Shiffrin now already. And up to no.9 it looked like that, but then, at least for me, surprising run of Robinson came with ponle 0.14sec back. And she did another one in second run, so hats off to that performance.
Track was surprisingly good especially considering temperatures... it's super hot up here, and with sun, I though it will be more like water skiing, but at least for women course held really good. Snow is grippy and sort of hard but not ice, and for tomorrow it still think it will be disaster. It was raining really bad on Monday, and they decided it's enough so no injection, and men are not super happy with this decision, but today it held good. We will see how will be tomorrow. It should be degree or two less, but still something like 8 and blue sky and strong sun all day long, so lets hope course will stay, but the way men ski, I don't think so.

Muleski

Inactive
Fun day. Alice was dialed in, and absolutely ready. She turns 18 in December. She is only going to get faster, as a number of things get refined. Her basic skiing has always been very solid. Biggest asset is her head game.

Very, very exciting day. As expected, nice start to the season for MS. Give her the overall globe right now. No contest.

Last edited:

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In more somber news, it's a season-ending torn ACL for Bernadette Schild.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Wow, just wow to Alice Robinson to step up to the big stage & not only put some pressure on Shiffrin but then beat her for the win.
Alice Robinson.jpg

Good call @Moose32 :golfclap:.

Great 2nd run for Worley! Not sure what took so long for someone to move into the lead, maybe the warm temperatures.
What a day for Tviberg from bib 58 into 6th with the fastest 2nd run & to hold it for so long. So many racers losing half a second to her just on the first section.
Good day for American skier Nina O'Brien for a solid top 30.
Bummer for Schild & the Austrians, I was looking forward to seeing her get a few SL podiums this season.

Here are the results...
http://live.fis-ski.com/lv-al5001.htm#/short

Muleski

Inactive
Sad day and sad news for Bernadette Schild. The only “good” news is that a season ending injury this early generally means that you will be fully ready to go next fall, barring any very serious complications. So, best wishes to her.

Makes me think of another comment that I have heard more than once in recent years, by coach friends who have spent quite a bit of time with the Austrian tech women.

First, I have heard the basic generalizations. The all look the same, they all ski the exact same, watch them train SL and the look identical. Precision, like a Metronome.

Then, I have heard that they really look TINY in the hill, particularly when standing near other “larger” women on the WC. I saw it myself at WCF’s a couple of years ago. They are no doubt really fit, and great athletes.

The sport really is one where strength and a fair amount of body mass helps. Some would say helps a great deal. Tessa Worley is short, but strong as heck. MS can look very lean, attractive, yet age is exceptionally strong. And weighs more than he alleged weight. If you watched your first video of Alice Robinson today, my guess is that you came away thinking that this girl is strong. Really strong.

That hill, early season, really rewards being strong and carrying some mass. Now, the weather and surface, as noted by @Primoz, who is there, was about as great as it gets for the women. Warm, sunny, great visibility, abd a favorable, grippy surface. A few degrees from being too soft.

A few years ago, a the height of her career Anna Fenninger Veith suffered a near career ending injury on the hill. She is a beautiful skier, a fierce competitor, and a fairly small woman.

I know some coaches, at that level who wonder how abd why the vast majority of that squad is so small. Lara Gut is short, and nobody who have called her “small” in her prime. Sofia Goggia.

The sport is very different, so let’s not list every woman from a generation ago, OK? No Tamara McKinney, etc. HaHa.

Just an observation. If you put Bernadette next to LV, back when LV was a competitive GS skier, you would be shocked at the difference. And with others.

So, as others say...what is up with the Austrians? Not like this is not the most powerful nation in the sport.

I have zero insight as to their thinking. Somebody probably feels strongly that it puts less strain on them. Dunno?

Gary Peterson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Couldn't help but notice Alice appears to NOT be on a WC race plate. She appears to be on the Volkl/Marker lightweight plate used on their mere mortal race light models with the rmotion2 bindings. In the photos I think I see the "Grip Walk Compatible" sticker. Is it common for the women to use the rec racer plates and bindings?

Sponsor

Staff online