• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone got a clip of Meta Hrovat's recovery move? Very impressive.

The event does have a bit of a feeling of an accident waiting to happen. Not a huge fan of the gorilla style panel clear.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does PSL still count towards the slalom globe this year? I thought they changed it so there would be a separate globe.

Hrovat's recovery move indeed very impressive.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
There is going to be a Parallel globe awarded this year, SL and GS combined, I think. And there are no more City Events. Was reminded of that, or told that, today. Had not been tuned into it. Have not checked to see how many Parallels are on the calendar. I don't think there are too many. Maybe Five or six?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Does PSL still count towards the slalom globe this year? I thought they changed it so there would be a separate globe.

Hrovat's recovery move indeed very impressive.

It does not, hence MS's absence (no matter what she officially stated). The idea that 3 total events = a WC Globe is laughable and really a disgrace to the rest of the WC globes.

oops - posted in "parallel" with Muleski - sorry, couldn't resist the pun. ;)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
There is going to be a Parallel globe awarded this year, SL and GS combined, I think. And there are no more City Events. Was reminded of that, or told that, today. Had not been tuned into it. Have not checked to see how many Parallels are on the calendar. I don't think there are too many. Maybe Five or six?
According to the FIS website:
Men: 2x PGS (Alta Badia, Chamonix); 0x PSL
Women: 1x PGS (Sestriere); 2x PSL (St Moritz, Are)

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
14-18m vertical distance with its own skis say 15-16m radius. Course sets that do not reward the double block. This would reflect the size turns that most recreational skiers make & would be more relatable to the skiing public.
I think I posted something similar last season.

I thought the city events were great exposure for the sport.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What happened too is that PSL grew into not only including the top 20 SL skiers. That’s one contributing factor to why there are no City Events (which is one of the marketing benefits with PSL). You need more mountain to host it now. Logistics also swelled.

Last edited:

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
As long as FIS keeps experimenting, I'm on board. I like it when sports try new approaches, for example the XC sprint events. Those are really exciting.

PGS doesn't necessarily do it for me. I like PSL because it reminds me of the old US pro tour back in the 70s/80s...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
The idea that 3 total events = a WC Globe is laughable and really a disgrace to the rest of the WC globes.
Agree with this, but 3 races to get globe is still better then 1 race and you get globe (read: combined few years back). I mean on one side it's fine, but thing is, globe is globe, and on the end, for outside public, winning globe with single (or 3) races is same as winning let's say SL globe with 10 or 12 races, which of course isn't for anyone even remotely near sport.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree with this, but 3 races to get globe is still better then 1 race and you get globe (read: combined few years back). I mean on one side it's fine, but thing is, globe is globe, and on the end, for outside public, winning globe with single (or 3) races is same as winning let's say SL globe with 10 or 12 races, which of course isn't for anyone even remotely near sport.

Outside public are not aware that there are globes. They care about olympic medals and, perhaps, World Championship medals.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Courchevel GS tomorrow.
1576558860776.png

Shiffrin and Worley were on the last two podiums at Courchevel, sharing with Moelgg ('17) and Rebensburg ('18).

Shiffrin/Brignone/Worley

James

Out There
Instructor
Shiffrifin- Brignone-Vhlova

Would like to see either Robinson or Hrovot on there.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Rebensburg seems “on” lately. Shiffrin skipped the Parallel to rest up & Brignone seems fired up! Vlhova is also stoked after winning the Parallel, Worley has something to prove & Holdener & Robinson are spoilers. I’m gonna say it’s anyone’s race :huh:

:doh: Shiffrin- Robinson- Rebensburg

Muleski

Inactive
Not what I had expected, as I had not paid any attention to the weather....other than hearing no snow or rain forecast. Agree with @Swede’s comment. The hill is not really a tough one. To truly contest the best, it needs to be a hard surface and challenging set. Not today.

It was great to see Brignone ski so well. She is perfect for that hill {which which she has a lot of familiarity} and the soft surface. She seemed so excited, as it has never clicked there. I was very surprised to see Holdener get her first ever GS podium today. Just seemed like the entirely wrong set of everything. Hill, surface, set, her equipment setup. Her typical agressive skiing. Kind of a shocker for me.

It’s always a fair test, when it’s pretty consistent. And it was consistent. But not good. That hill should never have been that soft, IMO.

MS, that far out. Not shocked. She did not look like herself, and I guarantee that she hated the surface and hated how her skis and boots “felt” and skied. That was ugly. A few years ago she would be a basket case right now. At 24, I think she probably can shake it off, but I would be in some serious training on the horizon and working like a dog to be ready. Thing that bothers me the most is that I think her tech really blew it. Not good. That’s a guess. Also some chatter that she wants to get the hell out of France, homeland to her ex-BF, ASAP.

At any rate, when your big goal is the overall, and you finish outside of the top 15, not good.

She will pull it together. Just a lousy day. Absolute wrong set of circumstances for many of the best. Worley? Young Alice Robinson.

On to the next stop!

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Maybe biggest question after today's results is what is the "reaction" from the MS camp. Somehow she will overcome this quickly.
Does she adjust her schedule, races, training or just keep on the current course/plan.
Usually she reverts to rest, training, and focus.
I guess we shall see.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
I don’t see any big, or even visible reaction. No changes. No panic. She can’t rest and train like she once did when she was younger, as skiing five events blows that out of the water. She had barely had 10 minutes to herself over the past month and a lot of her sleep has been on a plane.

My guess is that the sun comes up tomorrow. There were many very good GS skiers who were a non factor today. As I mentioned the hill is pretty easy, the set was easy, and the soft surface sucked. It was not a recipe for the best. First ever podiums for two. And a great day for Brignone who skis a bit old school at times. Worked well today.

With her setup and tactics that was not going to deliver in run one, and I think she was fried after that. Would not shock me if her mom is in a plane right now. Also would not shock me if there is a real awakening that no mater who the pilot, her setup was “not good” today.

She may not see another hill and surface like that for A LONG time.

No concerns. I do think he agent may get her totally focused on skiing. Have heard some critical comments about her trying dial back the other crap.

Sponsor