• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Womens/girls skis

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Idk if I was the snarky one. My daughter is 13 and a little taller/heavier and I am being cautious about new ski selection. The way I look at it, it’s easier to overski than than under ski. She is not on a devo team but we have skied about 25 days a year since she was 5. She can get around the mountain. No way am I going to get a 164 designed for charger women.
Sorry you weren't. I shouldn't have said anything. I very much appreciate your help!

I don't kniw all that much but what you said makes total sense to me.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you all. I understand the ask is difficult that's why i asked for help.

She skied on a 145 last year. Last year we skied idaho/montana/colorado. This year we'll be going to austria (not packing skies) and wyoming/utah.

Didn't know the change from 5 2 to 5 3 would solicit a snarky response (nor the thought that someone from Iowa could be an excellent skier). When presented with up an up to date height from the doctor I thought I would provide it.
Sorry if you thought my comments were snarky. I think you took that the opposite way as intended. I was reading your post as "a solid skiing but possibly growing teen who needed suggestions for an all mountain ski." Having lived thru this I had questions that needed clarification which were not meant to be snarky.

1. If she had grown an inch when you re- verified her height I was thinking she was in a growth spurt and she won't need a 147 Yumi b/c she's still growing and by the time snow falls she'll be 5'5". (which was your question - isn't this too short?)

2. If she is on the devo team and as you said solid skiing /carving she won't need a 147 Yumi. (again you questioned others suggestions as being too "beginner friendly")

3. I asked about where she was skiing in the west b/c of lighter snow vs pacific/Sierra cement makes a difference.

4. But here is where I will get snarky: If you can afford to go to Europe and your trips out west then please open your wallet, invest in a demo day and and get her skis that will work for her. I'm sure a one day demo where ever you end up will shed light on what is going to work best for her rather than strangers recommendations. I can verify that from experience with my DD. My list of go to /suggested skis were not what ultimately worked for her.

Signed "formerly from the upper midwest"

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were leaning towards the Faction Agent 1.0 86 and missed a great price in March. I am a bit skeptical about how all touring/all mountain will translate to regular northeast conditions. She does like the color of the baby blue ones. A little too much overthinking, as the old Soul Rider Jr in 148 were fine.
For about $200 more, the Yumi seem like a better choice, but will they really be better and what length for 5’5”?

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
147 is better than 160 for a kid but In between might get you 2 seasons.
Yumi does come in a 154 w/o going all the way up to 160+. It's what I'm considering jumping to myself if I stick with the Yumi

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Sorry if you thought my comments were snarky. I think you took that the opposite way as intended. I was reading your post as "a solid skiing but possibly growing teen who needed suggestions for an all mountain ski." Having lived thru this I had questions that needed clarification which were not meant to be snarky.

1. If she had grown an inch when you re- verified her height I was thinking she was in a growth spurt and she won't need a 147 Yumi b/c she's still growing and by the time snow falls she'll be 5'5". (which was your question - isn't this too short?)

2. If she is on the devo team and as you said solid skiing /carving she won't need a 147 Yumi. (again you questioned others suggestions as being too "beginner friendly")

3. I asked about where she was skiing in the west b/c of lighter snow vs pacific/Sierra cement makes a difference.

4. But here is where I will get snarky: If you can afford to go to Europe and your trips out west then please open your wallet, invest in a demo day and and get her skis that will work for her. I'm sure a one day demo where ever you end up will shed light on what is going to work best for her rather than strangers recommendations. I can verify that from experience with my DD. My list of go to /suggested skis were not what ultimately worked for her.

Sorry ln2h2o my apologies. Thanks for your help.

I don't take your comment on demos negatively at all, well not much! Trying demos worked well for me and I'll happily do the same for she and her brother once they stop growing. Until then it'll likely be using the best available help to try to find a good option. In my experience demo days are kinda hard to find and with school schedules we can't plan our trips around the availability of demo days.

I do completely agree on the benefit of demo days/rental and most certainly will take advantage of th for the kids in the future.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier

This might be worthwhile if you are willing to spend the money. I've definitely had mixed success with buying skis w/o demoing myself. I usually won't do it unless I'm sure I can recoup a good chunk of my cost. Only downside is junior demos are usually pretty limited, if even available, but at her size it probably won't matter since she can get away with women's skis at this point. I'm always in that weird cusp area myself where I can go either way (profile photo is me on some K2 junior twin tips at Big Sky), but I'm a bit smaller than her.

ETA: By "demo" I'm basically talking renting "performance" rentals at larger, western mountains vs. taking your own skis. Junior demos are nonexistent at "free" demo days and shorter women's lengths are all also nearly nonexistent. I've done this at Big Sky, Aspen/Snowmass, and Alta. I tend to treat western trips as a chance to try new skis.

Last edited:

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree @tinymoose Honestly I think there are many skis in the 85ish range that could work for her. Just reviewing some of the popular women's skis many start in the 140's - it certainly depends on the mountain but I would think (and in my experience) most larger mountains carry those skis in the upper 140s/low 150s.

@Nelliefj40 this is where it gets more difficult b/c if she is racing used to a stiffer ski than she may be happier on a smaller scaled woman's ski than a true "tween" ski which may be marketed at the beginner/intermediate. There really are so many good skis available - a quick link to next years skis - https://www.skiessentials.com/2023-ski-test/category/womens/ I guess my original thought was that you are dealing with an athlete who has a solid foundation and should be able to tell at this point what is going to work out better for them. And having a happy teenager skiing gear they are confident on is soooo worth it......

Maybe @Philpug and @Tricia will eventually have some teen Ski Talk testers :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure last winter. Here's current.
That 147 Yumi will be not only be too short but if she is on a SL, its not enough ski. I am not saying that she needs the MX that was brought up early in the discussion but soemthing in between that and the Yumi ... in a low 150s ... she is still only 95 lb. Did I miss it early on where you might have posted that she is on a race ski???

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
That 147 Yumi will be not only be too short but if she is on a SL, its not enough ski. I am not saying that she needs the MX that was brought up early in the discussion but soemthing in between that and the Yumi ... in a low 150s ... she is still only 95 lb. Did I miss it early on where you might have posted that she is on a race ski???

I'm my first post I just stated that she was on a youth slalom ski. I probably misspoke, sorry.

She does weigh just under 110 pounds.

Thanks all.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, do you think this Kastle would be too much ski?
That MX is a LOT of ski especially in a shorter length I recall my ex having a pair of MX78 in a 152, they were pretty darn stiff. Aslo, that binding is on them, a two piece or system?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
That MX is a LOT of ski especially in a shorter length I recall my ex having a pair of MX78 in a 152, they were pretty darn stiff. Aslo, that binding is on them, a two piece or system?
@Philpug, the binding on my152 MX70 is a two piece. This is her current ski.
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.25.10 PM.png

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
FWIW, I don't think my 2018 147 Yumis are good fit for her b/c of her height, but my Yumis are def stiffer than my 150 Head SLs, and far more forgiving. They def ski shorter, which is why I'm replacing them, but they're def stiffer than my junior SLs. Maybe Yumi is softer now??? I demoed a 154 Yumi last year and it felt softer than my 2018s, at least in the bumps.

Last edited:

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trying demos worked well for me and I'll happily do the same for she and her brother once they stop growing. Until then it'll likely be using the best available help to try to find a good option. In my experience demo days are kinda hard to find and with school schedules we can't plan our trips around the availability of demo days.

I do completely agree on the benefit of demo days/rental and most certainly will take advantage of th for the kids in the future.
Just to clarify as @tinymoose pointed out its not the 'demo days' put on by the ski manufactures but searching out the performance demos/rentals at the mountain you are skiing at. If you are lucky (I realize not all mountains have this availability) you will be able to rent and swap out the demos through out the day on the mountain. Research options and sizes that may work for her, check the mountain's website or call ahead to see what they have in her size. Try to pick up the skis the night before and "make friends" with the techs and give them a heads up for what you are looking for and that you will be "speed demoing" skis in her size. If there are no options on mountain check with the local shops, but then you will be driving back and forth. Could this be a PITA -especially depending on your teens mood? Yes, absolutely. But at least you will have a reference point for something that worked or she liked then you could make an educated guess as to what other skis would be suitable.

Hey your here asking questions for your daughter and that's awesome! Im just suggesting you take it up a notch and get her to demo if you can -- IMHO it results in a happier skiing experience down the road for you and your teen.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are getting to the point of overthink here. The Yumi in 154 will be fine. If they are a little soft it’s not the end of the world and you can sell them easily.

@LiquidFeet how much for the Kastles and what are the bindings?

Sponsor

Staff online