• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wine and Cheese - Not So Fast

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Obviously a glass of wine with some bread and cheese can be great. However, my experience is that it's not a gimme. Lots of cheese and wine combinations are uninspiring or even yucky. I don't pretend to be good at knowing how to ensure success. What are some specific matches that you like?

The one I stumbled into this evening - that sparked this post - is Palo Cortado sherry ( @Jerez ), apple, and cheddar. Good stuff.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
White wine. Preferably cheap. Definitely not red. And is sherry even wine? Why do they call it sherry then?

Sherry is wine. As for why they call it sherry, there is a clue in my post above.

Rudyard Kipling actually has a "Just So" story about that exact thing. It's called, "How Sherry Got Her Name."

Last edited:

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You need a bigger bag!! Best product made right at home!
Oh I wanted a bigger bag, but I really don’t need them at all! These were the Halloween size ones I stole from my kids. They taste even better when they’re someone else’s.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I haven't given it a lot of thought, but ...
acid with fat, so something like a barbera or a crisp white with a soft cheese, tannic red with a strongly flavored cheese like one of the better cheddars or an aged gouda.
Lighter red with more delicate hard cheeses.
Bleu pairing can be a problem.

We don't drink a lot of really good whites, but I can envision a white burgundy with a good cheddar.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Obviously a glass of wine with some bread and cheese can be great. However, my experience is that it's not a gimme. Lots of cheese and wine combinations are uninspiring or even yucky.

I think it's at least partly a problem with the USAian palette of cheese availability. I mean take away high-fat cheddars, take away rubbery pseudo-swiss, what are you left with? And don't even get me started on pseudo-fontina.

You know it's bad when queso duro viejo and cotija and cacique from the Hispanic aisle pair better with wine than cheeses from the Boars Head aisle. And those will go with most things, particularly when seethed in veg broth, like as an adjunct to ratatouille.

That said, Humboldt Fog for with reds is where I start :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
acid with fat, so something like a barbera or a crisp white with a soft cheese, tannic red with a strongly flavored cheese like one of the better cheddars or an aged gouda.
Lighter red with more delicate hard cheeses.
Bleu pairing can be a problem.

We don't drink a lot of really good whites, but I can envision a white burgundy with a good cheddar.

Cremant fixes everything :) BUBBLES with fat :)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe its just me , but I have always felt that cheese ruins the taste of wine, and vice versa
Yeah, that was kind of my point. Sometimes it does.

Sponsor