• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Will The Winter Park Ski Train Ever Run Again?

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^^
Nice shots. I have to get up there again. Yes, the train, along with Wonderland, are definitely inherent to WP.

For July, back when there was snow, the tradition was to head up Corona from WP, camp, set gates and race on spring snow. One time I skied in moonlight.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I recall correctly there was pisco in that blue cup. Such a fun trip!

I headed back there this summer by myself and skied (sans poles which was challenging on the summer snow) and continued my tendency to attract moose. I had relatively close encounters with moose 5 times this past summer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In 1992 my girlfriend (now my wife) and I took Amtrak from Omaha to Denver, and then the ski train up to Winter Park. I will need to hunt up my photos -- it was pretty fun. They didn't drop us off at the base of Winter Park (like you see in some old photos), but down in Fraser and then we had to take a van back to the ski area.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
$78 a pop round trip. I'll ride it once for the nostalgia, but this isn't a viable alternative to I-70, sadly.

http://www.9news.com/sports/ski/winter-park-ski-train-ticket-details-announced/308235371

I have to wonder how long the demand will hold up at that price. I can take myself, my son and his 2 buddies to WP and back in my Subaru for like $12 worth of gas. Yeah the train is awesome but that would be $312 worth of train tickets. Not my socio-economic stratum.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
$78 a pop round trip. I'll ride it once for the nostalgia, but this isn't a viable alternative to I-70, sadly.

http://www.9news.com/sports/ski/winter-park-ski-train-ticket-details-announced/308235371

I have to wonder how long the demand will hold up at that price. I can take myself, my son and his 2 buddies to WP and back in my Subaru for like $12 worth of gas. Yeah the train is awesome but that would be $312 worth of train tickets. Not my socio-economic stratum.
I wonder if they will consider a train pass for those who may use it regularly?
@78/round trip, will prohibit a family from taking it. :(

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think its main appeal will be for tourists. Fly into DIA, train to Union Station is $9, then up to WP. Still more expensive than taking a shuttle, but cheaper than a car. You can spend night in Denver if you want. I wonder if some downtown hotels will begin marketing packages, in concert with WP lodging. Seeing as how the city of Denver owns WP, it's kind of a no-brainer.

(I think it's more $$ than a shuttle? Maybe not. I don't take shuttles here.)

michael

Skier
I can see this as a worthy option in sketchy weather. Also, would the train be running if I70 is shut down/gridlocked?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
They used to have a front range pickup point so you didn't have to go into that damned city.
Did they do away with that? (if so, WHY?)

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yeah, riding that bike is just stupid. Ouch.

Not nearly as stupid, but painful: long ago I mountain biked from Boulder to Winter Park over Rollins Pass, then back the next day. It's really cool to see the Phantom Bridge, Needles Eye (tunnel) and the other railroad history all those great runs are named after.

The train is such an inherent part of Winter Park, it's hard to fathom it won't run again. I think it can, I think it can, I think it can. :thumb:

I have done that as well! A bit of scrambling to get up and over from Needles Eye to the western flowing watershed but absolutely LOVE that area. I started @ Rollinsville though...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think its main appeal will be for tourists. Fly into DIA, train to Union Station is $9, then up to WP. Still more expensive than taking a shuttle, but cheaper than a car. You can spend night in Denver if you want. I wonder if some downtown hotels will begin marketing packages, in concert with WP lodging. Seeing as how the city of Denver owns WP, it's kind of a no-brainer.

(I think it's more $$ than a shuttle? Maybe not. I don't take shuttles here.)
And that is the appeal.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I can see this as a worthy option in sketchy weather. Also, would the train be running if I70 is shut down/gridlocked?

Yes, that's a main benefit. The problem (besides cost) is that the pickup is downtown, and unless you live there, getting there and parking will be a hassle. A lot of people would have to backtrack, too. Assuming a 7 am departure. I would need to leave my house by 5:45, and if I do that, I could just drive straight up there with not too much chance of delay.

That said, it is only running a few months, on weekends, so the novelty of it coupled with the high number of new people around here, I imagine it will do okay. It's just not practical for people who go often, especially families.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
There is a new hotel going up next to Union Station. There is no parking convenient to Union Station, and what there is will cost $20 a day. Denver area residents would have to park near a light rail station and ride the light rail downtown and haul their gear across the plaza to the ski train. For locals, maximum inconvenience would be SOP.

For tourists lodging downtown, it may be a staple, but for locals it will never be more than a one-time novelty.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Anybody up for a ski train party?
I just received the link. If there is interest, we ought to figure out a date.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They used to have a front range pickup point so you didn't have to go into that damned city.
Did they do away with that? (if so, WHY?)

That was the stop at Rocky Flats, for Boulder County Residents and maybe some from Golden or Broomfield. Didn't see it mentioned in the announcement articles/stories.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a shame it costs so much now, in a much less convenient downtown Denver. The Saturday train was dominated by a bunch of kids and young adults, and their instructors, in the Eskimo Ski Club. No parents. Most kids car-pooled in cabs to and from Union Station, cheap.

I know I did.

A major standout experience of my childhood, especially when I was in junior high and high school. Boys and girls on a train together for hours, chaperoned without them noticing it, mostly.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'll finally get to experience the WP ski train in a couple weeks. The Denver Law Outdoor Club sponsors a ski day and we can get there (and back) with $10 tickets so I'm giving it a shot. Now, me traveling with a bunch of mid-20s law students should be a bit interesting.

Sponsor

Staff online