• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Will I Overpower Volkl Deacon 80?

CatskillSkiDad

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all. Long time lurker and Volkl guy here looking for input on Deacon 80 182s. Now that the demise of deacon line is near, I am looking for deals on a groomer / carver / bump ski.

I am 5'11'', 230lbs, 57 yrs old, 45+ years skiing, tend to ski fast, and mostly gs my turns. For reference, I am trying to replace v-werks rtm 84 175 (too short, never loved the full rocker or carbon fiber upgrade- although great in bumps and trees) and Rossi hp 72? wide carver 177 (meh) for skiing all over catskills, adk, and vt; mainly prioritizing edge hold on hard pack, morning courd, and boiler plate on the steeps (if that is a thing). I suspect Deacon 84s will be too close to what i have below. I think I would like the extra glass / less metal and the pop of the 80s for a change. I don't mind slowing down a bit and turning more to stay with my friends. I do have the strength to short turn 19-22 m bi-metal skis down narrow steeps and across double bumps if needed, but i really dont need to work that hard anymore. I like the 16 radius of the Enforcers. I ski wherever my skis take me, and I rarely retire a great ski.

My G.O.A.T are 2012 Dragon Kendo 89 177 22 radius, Stockli SR 88 184, Enforcer 93 177, and Mantra M5 177 in that order. I also have J. Masterblaster 96 174 and Kendo 88 177 (o.k. if I had to live with 2 skis), but they cant compete with those very weathered dragon Kendos! I hand tune everything old to a 3 side / 0 to 0.5 base but sometimes wish for a bit more hold on east coast ice. I also think a narrower ski will be easier to angulate at my age.

I have been spending more time this year in the Catskills with the kids, and also day trip to Gore, Whiteface and Killington. I ski about 40+ days year, mostly with my teen son and daughter who also race for the local schools. They occasionally pass me on the cruisers and in the trees now if I start relaxing; never in the bumps though...I like to be "on edge" piloting my skis, but don't mind "letting them run" either.

This year I have been seen on quite a few skinny <66mm skis from years past. Namely, Volkl W-cup renntiger "R" 203, Volkl Carver Plus 195, Volkl P40 Race Carvers 188, Volkl Explosive SL 195, Rossi 7XK 210 (meh), Rossi 7s 203 (meh). Sort of a trip through ski evolution. I had a ball on all of them, in that order, more than once. It is clear I prefer the Volkl feel. I have come to really like and miss the hold these old planks have, and their speed and confidence on hard pack is right up there with any of my all-mountain stuff. Back in the day, these were all mountain...I don't feel the extra length much except in the bumps. Still, they are a bit narrow (and aged) for anything but local. Perhaps I need some Volkl 72 or 76 Masters...or even cheater Racetigers.

Any thoughts on the Deacon 80 that I can get now, or would I be better served waiting on the 84s with more titanal, or even the 72/76 models? Is the Deacon 80 in the longer 182 length enough ski for me to enjoy all day at 230 lbs, say, at Killington, Stratton, Mt. Snow or Gore where I might find a mix of icy steeps, icy bump runs, long cruisers, and some glades? Thank you for any opinions.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you will be fine if the old Deacon 80 LowRiders I tried are any indication. I don't weigh 230 lbs though.
That would be my concern. Maybe go with the longest length.

TS
CatskillSkiDad

CatskillSkiDad

Skier
Thanks. Being from the east coast, i am well aware of Ski Essentials. I have followed their chairlift chat for years, and my friends and i have purchased from them. All good experiences. They pretty much have the only real insightful reviews of the deacon 80 on the web. I wish i could translate some of the euro reviews. Thats the 80's (ski) problem. Is it intermediate? Is it expert? Is it good for mostly anyone with varied techniques. Since it costs less, it is perceived as not as good as the 72/76/masters/84. My problem is my weight. I'm actually at 220 lbs now, but no one my size really reviews skis, or this particular ski in any case. I was hoping somebody my size might have tried them. I'm also in a 30.0 boot with 348mm sole, so flex could be affected. I have a good feeling about this ski. Even if i could find a top end limit on this ski, i probably would not push it that far. In my experience, Volkls always turn on the faster you go. Just when you start questioning it, they become oddly precise and dependable. Anyway, i rarely get above 45 m.p.h cruising anymore. 35 to 40 is common. My own safety and that of others is more important than any need for speed. At my size, wind resistance is also a factor, and i am not there as a racer by any means; just a freeskier. Equally likely to see me heading into some trees and taking my time in the glades. As i posted earlier, i have had to ski more icy groomers and smaller resorts now. Slowing down a bit with a turny hardpack ski seems like it would be satisfying as well as making the runs last longer. I am also interested in Head models because of the quality of my kids race stuff, and intrigued by Crosson 78s/ Peak 78s. I am afraid i would destroy the topsheets on any Brahma/Bonafides from what i have seen. Open to suggestions for a sub 85 groomer that can carve and handle some 3d terrain.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Open to suggestions for a sub 85 groomer that can carve and handle some 3d terrain."

Brahma 82?

TS
CatskillSkiDad

CatskillSkiDad

Skier
Brahma 82 might be a contender, maybe even the Volkl Kanjo. All good skis with flat mounts, but then i already have Kendo 88s and Enforcer 93s. Really looking for a versatile carver in the 72 to 80 range preferably with system bindings, common in this range, as i sometimes need a bit of fore / aft adjustment to really bring the best out of a ski. I could be weird, but for me, as little as a half inch fwd or back really changes how a ski carves. It can make a 170 ski like a 177. Or vice-versa. I mount my own flat bindings, and mostly prefer 1cm behind boot center line, but i have had to drill 2 sets of holes in some cases to find the right position. I have even reused some older system bindings on a new flat ski creating what i call a "frankenski". Best of both worlds? Maybe...
If my kids werent taking over my v-werks rtm 84s and rossi hp's for gs practice on our outings, i could probably reuse those systems, but then demo bindings installed by me or purchased on demo skis would also fit my needs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thoughts on the Deacon 80 that I can get now, or would I be better served waiting on the 84s with more titanal, or even the 72/76 models? Is the Deacon 80 in the longer 182 length enough ski for me to enjoy all day at 230 lbs, say, at Killington, Stratton, Mt. Snow or Gore where I might find a mix of icy steeps, icy bump runs, long cruisers, and some glades?
My husband had been using the Deacon 80s for the past few years…he’s about 5’9, 200lbs, and on the 177s. They have far exceeded his expectations (especially with how versatile they are). He has liked them for firm east coast days, springtime soft snow, and has actually liked them better than the kendos in bumps/glades. He is definitely an advanced skier…skis pretty much everything on any mountain and makes it look easy.

He demoed both the 80s and 84s, and liked the 80s better.

TS
CatskillSkiDad

CatskillSkiDad

Skier
Ok. That sounds encouraging. I have heard the 84s can be a little damp or might need more speed to turn. Both can be good things in some cases. I was hoping the 80s would just be lively and fun while being precise and somewhat stable. The Kendos are good at most things but i find they are best when there is an inch or so of "snow" for them to push against. Not total ice or refrozen morning crust. Late in the day skied-off usually puts the kendos over at the sides of the trail or searching for the next small pile to turn on. I will likely try to find deacon 80s longer than 177. Thanks for the info.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have heard the 84s can be a little damp or might need more speed to turn. Both can be good things in some cases. I was hoping the 80s would just be lively and fun while being precise and somewhat stable.
I have the 84s (but I’m only 5’5” and 140lbs…so likely not the best data point for you). I ski them in a 162 (could probably ski the 167 if I wanted more oomph). But what you describe here is pretty spot on for how I describe the 84s vs. how my husband describes his 80s. I bought the 84s undemoed on a good deal to replace my old RTM 84…I’d likely never choose to ski them in 1/2 the conditions my husband chooses his 80s, leading me to believe the 80 is a much more versatile ski for a good skier. But judging how he skis them, they have plenty of stability to pick up speed.

TS
CatskillSkiDad

CatskillSkiDad

Skier
Thanks, if all else fails i would probably end up getting the 84s longer than 177, due to availability. However, I did see a few ski patrollers on the 80s last weekend. That is another good sign as to what i think i want. Something not too demanding but still trustworthy.

TS
CatskillSkiDad

CatskillSkiDad

Skier
Thanks everyone for your input. I also read the good reviews of Deacon 80 and Deacon 84 here on SkiTalk and pulled the trigger on a great deal for 2023 Deacon 80 182. I will follow up with my impressions as soon as they arrive and get on some snow.

TS
CatskillSkiDad

CatskillSkiDad

Skier
Follow up review: I finally received some barely used 2023 Volkl Deacon 80 182cm skis after a relatively long shipping from a Utah reseller to NY. I have tried them 3 times so far, mostly in soft spring snow, slush, mashed potatoes, and some frozen granular sugary cord...Not the firm groomer use i intend to use them on next season. I do not think i will overpower these skis. I could have even gone one size down in the bumps. The skis were good on early morning frozen cord. The skis carve ok. I have not really laid them over yet, but i can tell they will have plenty of edge hold. I am still playing with boot centerline +/- 1cm to find my sweet spot. By the time i am getting to bottom, i am navigating some deep (4-6 ") heavy slush and i will say the 80 width is not ideal for turning through the slop. My Kendos and Mantras do better there. But then, i bought the Deacons for firm conditions. The Deacon 80s tend to sink in rather than float or plow through the wet snow. The skis tend to run a little slower too. This is not a bad thing. I can stay back in the pack with everyone else in my group. The skis can gs, but they like to be turned more often than my other skis. It is easy to short turn them, probably due to the 3d sidecut. On steeps, it is easy to link quick turns and skid when needed. I find that those quick turns have a really round shape, less angular than my other skis. You initiate a quick turn and the ski takes you right around across the fall line. i find myself taking more time descending the steeps with them. Sometimes, i get wrapped up in turning so much, i have to tell myself to hurry up and get down. They can sure extend a run. For comparison, my medium radius Enforcer 93s 177s do not turn as quickly or as eagerly. When cruising fast, the skis are fairly stable, but lack a second sheet of metal and are powered by steel not titanal. There is a little more glassy feel than i am used to. At speed, in this spring snow, i found myself skimming over a lot of irregularities. Not so much chatter, but more like a stiff ski getting a bunch of little repeated airs. I guess that is due to the liveliness of the ski. The skis, when handled, feel a bit on the lighter side. It could be the 80 width, the less metal, and / or the marker low ride system. I am not crazy about the low ride mount. The bottom half of the binding is molded into the topsheet itself as rails. You are only getting top half of a toe piece and top half of a heel piece. Forget reusing these bindings on any other ski. They are, however, easy to adjust and move forward and back. You can even remove them in a second. I had some concern that someone could walk away with my binding out of malice or need of a replacement, if that is even a thing to worry about. Then, i realized that i could slide my toe pieces off, myself, as an anti-ski theft measure. Its probably nothing to worry about, but Lowride it has its pros and cons. You could always sink a binding screw at the end of the binding tracks under the boot sole open space to prevent binding "theft". All in all, a good ski, something different for me, and i can't wait to try them next season on ice and firm groomers.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Too late, but I would have suggested finding a pair of Dynastar Mpro 85's or 84's. 84 was great on groomers and can handle crud and off piste well. 85 better off piste and softer overall.

Sponsor

Staff online