• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why should I pay $900+ to someone who won't treat me like a grown up?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Remember the Dynastars with the little red weight on the shovel and the following model had the little airflow gizmo? I had a pair of the latter.
I remember them well. I demoed the Dynastar Course SL skis with the chicken hearts when they first came out as I was in the market for a pair of skis. They were fantastic skis for the time. What drew me to try them was the claim that the "chicken harts" made them stable. Although I was blown away with how well they skied at SL speeds, I did not buy them as the were not stable at high speeds. I eventually ended up, after much demoing, with SG skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The golf analogy is interesting, though for some reason golf has a strong faction that gets pleasure in playing the most demanding clubs, even at the expense of their game.
and Pro-V1X balls. ;)

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's pretty fun to snark at over-the-top ridiculous marketing efforts; trouble is, we all get "suckered in" at some level, for things like skis, bikes, cars, especially for those items we love, and feel compelled to defend, especially for toys that we don't "need" but are willing to spend to get. I don't expect respect from marketing folks, I feel lucky to obtain a bit of respect from the design and engineering folks.

Example: the marketing and hype for my old Volkl AC-3's which I bought into rather blindly-- they were great skis, still are great hard-snow rock skis. Ooooh that Extended Double Grip!
Manufacturer’s Description of the Volkl Unlimited AC3 Titanium:

"The new AC3 is wider at the waist, and more versatile. It is the true 50/50 frontside/backside favorite. With iPT and Extended Double Grip. This will be the go-to ski for 06/07 in the expert all-mountain category."

"The new binding system, called the iPT (Internal Power Transmission) is partially inside the ski, making it both lighter, more powerful and it makes the interface the most rigid of any Motion System built to date. The sides of the interface rest directly on top of the exclusive Extended Double Grip construction, pressuring the ski directly over the edges, and maximizing the system’s efficiency."

Jerry Seinfeld: "But it's got the Northstar System!"
Jerry's mom: " I don't think we even use it!"
(For you younger folks: that's the name Cadillac marketers gave to the engine)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Jerry Seinfeld: "But it's got the Northstar System!"
Jerry's mom: " I don't think we even use it!"
(For you younger folks: that's the name Cadillac marketers gave to the engine)

I gave her a pass on that joke - the roadside assistance program was called 'OnStar' and knowing the difference between star monikers was ...beyond the scope of most non-marketing civilians.

I suspect a lot of the viewership might have not gotten the engine-not-roadside reference at all.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't expect respect from marketing folks, I feel lucky to obtain a bit of respect from the design and engineering folks.
Don't worry, we don't dole it out often or without a side order of cynicism.

Sponsor

Staff online