• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why Look bindings?

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
So why is everyone going to Look bindings?

i have always loved Marker and never had any pre release or release fails in all my years on them.

last year I had two dangerous pre releases on my Atomic Warden 13s.

on my next pair I’m looking for the safest. My knees are now 45 and not as flesh as they used to be lol.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
What happened with wardens? Did you have them inspected? I love mine and was going to get another set for my new skis

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not too long ago Attack was preferred, I guess for the in style and still desired low profile.

Firstmost the Looks are more expensive which is indicative of quality. Secondly, they are not Markers which hacks can't seem to get to function. Thirdly they come in 14 and or 15 din so overweight old people can dial that din up way beyond spec because they used to race in high school, or perhaps for the logically superior materials (my sub100 lb kid busted a worm gear screw on an other brand 11 demo). There is a body of thinkers who purport the Looks are technically superior and they love the color coordination options. The chartreuse in particular are very easy to click into even with a big chunk of ice on the heel lug.

Its like being 45 years old which I am, not quite 50, definitely not 39.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not everyone is.

Wardens are excellent bindings. So are Looks. I have Solomons and Tyrolias. I used Looks in the N17/Nevada days and they served me well.

With due respect, if your bindings are properly adjusted for your weight, height, boot sole length and ability, a 'pre-release' needs to be evaluated without prejudice to determine what released and why. Was it the toe or heel? Was it the same ski each time? Possible reasons for the release such as weight not properly balanced on the skis, snow on the boot sole or some other factor such as a worn boot sole won't be resolved by changing brands. A release test by a reputable ski shop may reveal an error in settings or configuration of the binding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As mentioned, not everyone is going to Looks. We run Salomon demo bindings, many are Wardens and not one pre release.

Read this before abandoning the Wardens.
With due respect, if your bindings are properly adjusted for your weight, height, boot sole length and ability, a 'pre-release' needs to be evaluated without prejudice to determine what released and why. Was it the toe or heel? Was it the same ski each time? Possible reasons for the release such as weight not properly balanced on the skis, snow on the boot sole or some other factor such as a worn boot sole won't be resolved by changing brands. A release test by a reputable ski shop may reveal an error in settings or configuration of the binding.

But bindings are about trust, and if you don't have trust in the binding after everthing still checks out, you might want to look elsewhere.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really like how the toe piece on the Looks looks.
Streamlined.
I really don’t like the square toe piece on a lot of the other bindings.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not too long ago Attack was preferred, I guess for the in style and still desired low profile.

Firstmost the Looks are more expensive which is indicative of quality. Secondly, they are not Markers which hacks can't seem to get to function. Thirdly they come in 14 and or 15 din so overweight old people can dial that din up way beyond spec because they used to race in high school, or perhaps for the logically superior materials (my sub100 lb kid busted a worm gear screw on an other brand 11 demo). There is a body of thinkers who purport the Looks are technically superior and they love the color coordination options. The chartreuse in particular are very easy to click into even with a big chunk of ice on the heel lug.

Its like being 45 years old which I am, not quite 50, definitely not 39.
Hahaha.

im 45 too. Yeah older looks used to ice up badly, in the 90s. At 155 lbs I have no need to turn it up to 15. I can’t wrap my mind around the Look craze. And yeah, I freaking hate the WTR style soles they pick up slop and funk up the bindings. I’ve never had to click out and back in so many times in Before my new boots. I swear after every first chair fried after I clicking at the bottom I gotta pop em off and get rid of ice.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
The pre release I believe was an issue of snow under the heel. Not enough to really feel but enough to cant the boot a little.

Same ski, once during a high speed, higher g carve. Put a ton of pressure on the down hill and it released me at the heel. One time a high speed pass in the bumps, stuffed a tip and the binding released me from the toe. my marker pistons would not have released on that. it didn’t seem severe enough but my left ski was left laying there, lol.

I really think the WTR type soles can easily cause small amounts of snow under the boot, and slightly uneven click ins.

Doug, thanks for th input. Yep they checked out just fine. DIN was good for my weight set by a good local shop.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The pre release I believe was an issue of snow under the heel. Not enough to really feel but enough to cant the boot a little.
So, user error ;). Seriously this is a problem with newer sole designs being gripier and quite frankly, this is a significantly larger issue with a Look Pivot with the brake mechanism design.

I really think the WTR type soles can easily cause small amounts of snow under the boot, and slightly uneven click ins.

Doug, thanks for th input. Yep they checked out just fine. DIN was good for my weight set by a good local shop.
The binding settings (or even the specific binding) are not usuailly the culprit in the above issues but it is just as important that the toe height and forward pressure need to be set correctly.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
So why is everyone going to Look bindings?

I didn’t know everyone is…

I have some others but prefer Look. Mostly pivots. I’ve skied turntable heels since the 70s. I like how they ski. I like how smoothly they release. I like the large amount of elasticity. I like how the close mounting distance between heel and toe let the ski flex more naturally. I like toes that release upwards. I like how little you have to fiddle with the toes (no adjustment for afd or height). I like how the heel spring is close to your boot keeping swing weight down.

I also currently have Tyrolia Attacks, Kastle branded Tyrolias, Marker comps, Salomon STH2, Look SPX, Look PX.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Not everybody. I have Tyrolia (490 (all metal not delrin) and FF17+), Marker (Comp 16), and Look (Pivot 15) in current rotation. Well also a Salomon 202, but it's not used much. All have tested satisfactorily for proper retention and release on the hill many times, except the Pivot 15s - I've yet to fall with them.
BTW shop release testing is a lot less painful. :ogbiggrin:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have one pair of Look...they are the ones that came with my Rossi GS skis.

Bindings are "seen and not heard" equipment for me, when they perform as expected I never think of them. My feeling is that within a level of binding (all of what I own are DIN ~10-18 race bindings) there isn't much difference aside from color and whether it matches up with the ski/plate.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Look Pivot bindings with the turntable heel are the "special" ones. In certain circumstances they will let the boot move straight sideways out of the bindings. Is this a real advantage or a theoretical advantage? They also have a long elastic range...you can get knocked part way out, and they'll pull you back into place.

A buddy has anatomically fragile knees. He has had good results with the current version of the Knee Binding. I know, the early models weren't very good, and the current ones have the high stand height. Anyway, he's a happy skier on them.

About Markers...I skied with a guy who had the Marker heels with the single pivot--the long lever heel where he had to stomp into the bindings to get them to close, and he had to work hard to get them open. I don't know if he ever had a shop check them. I doubt if those heels would release as they should. I've also seen the same thing with a Rossi/Look heel of the same type (not the pivot). I've been told that snapping into one of these Marker heels when sitting armpit deep in fresh snow is an experience to inspire one to invent new swear words.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Look Pivot bindings with the turntable heel are the "special" ones. In certain circumstances they will let the boot move straight sideways out of the bindings.
I am sorry but no, no, no. The Look Pivot cannot release straight sideways. This rumour/misinformation has been passed out there on the internet and it has to stop.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have all types. Love the look px 15 /18 good and dirt cheap these days.

Solly wardens are really solid feeling and love the pair I have. Will probably go with more of these.

Have a handful of tyrolia attack 2 13. Very good binding.

Still have a pair of marker dukes and jesters as well that are rock solid.

Also got my first pair of vist bindings this summer.

Haven't had pre release issues from any binder since the marker motion system bindings.

Last edited:

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
1. Short mounting center.
2. Shock absorption/ Elasticity
3. Stays on at lower settings (see 2)
4. Street cred at Snowbird Tram dock (only works with skis over 190cm)
5. Binding that preferred brand(s) distribute.
6. Don't have to lend your skis to friends. Even though you have so many.(skis, not friends)

pliny the elder

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have 2 sets of PX15's have yet to have a pre-release, or felt tweaked in the joints in a fall. Feel more like a touch of give at peak load followed by re-center with no release. Also have Marker 48R's (step in heel), don't lift on the toe Biometric button will let you release. And Tyrolia 360D's and 380R's, of the two like the 360's better.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am sorry but no, no, no. The Look Pivot cannot release straight sideways. This rumour/misinformation has been passed out there on the internet and it has to stop.
In fact it is likely the wings the heel piece mounts to increase the odds of preventing lateral heel release.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
In fact it is likely the wings the heel piece mounts to increase the odds of preventing lateral heel release.
There is arguably only one alpine binding (soon to be two) with true, effective lateral heel release. Marker Kingpins (and others?) have a lateral release at the heel, but that is to make up for not having a lateral toe release.

Sponsor

Staff online