• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whitewalker 121s should I pull the trigger

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So after Cat skiing in BC this year, I've been thinking it would be nice to have a really fat powder ski. I skied the Blizzard Spur which was super fun, but I realized that it would be even more fun if it was a little lighter with a short turn radius. I also realize that this is a ski that might get used 2-4 times a year, so also not looking to spend much $$$ on it. Enter the crazy good deal I have been offered on a Whitewalker121. This ski looks super fun and I can get it at a very very reasonable price ... but to be clear I have never skied it nor will I have the chance this year. So thinking about rolling the dice on these and was hoping the SkiTalk faithful could weigh in. If there is one thing I know about SkiTalk, everyone has an opinion and they are not afraid to share it .... so bring it on lol

So for context as I know this will be the first question:
  • Ski is the Armada Whitelwalker 121 in 183 cm
  • I am 5'11" and 275lbs
  • current quiver includes 2021 Stockli Laser AX in 175, 2022 Stockli Stormrider 95 in 184, 2024 Stormrider 95 in 182 and Nordica Enforcer 110 in 185.
  • Will either mount these skis with a Strive 16 or a shift binding - probably the Strive as I do not currently own any touring boots
  • Do a lot of big mountain and off piste skiing which the SR95 and Enforcer 110 are great for
  • This ski would be for those deep pow days and occasional special trips where I get to cat ski
  • Looking for a super fat pow ski that is fun to surf pow in but has enough agility to handle deep pow skiing below the tree line.
  • This is clearly a nice to have addition to my quiver not a must have and definitely not a daily driver
With the above in mind would love to hear folks thought on both this ski and whether or not they think I should roll the dice on it. Again a big factor here is the make me buy it price lol

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Low-use, possible lifetime pow ski.

Of course you should buy a pair, but remember......

The wrong ski at the right price is still the wrong ski. Buy what you love. You'll forget about the cost after a season.

Not saying the Armada is necessarily a bad pick.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You've answered your question..lol. I guess the only comment to represent the other side is just wondering how much you will really use it. I also kinda want a super wide ski for super deep days and/or cat skiing. I have the Rustler 11 for in bounds POW days. I haven't pulled the trigger b/c I just wonder how many days realistically will I use the wider ski. Don't know if that's a consideration for you...but I raise it for thought.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
They are too short for anything other than a tree specific ski. 190cm minimum for greater versatility.
So you are saying I should go for the longer pair .... or at this price should I just get one of each lol

Joking aside the cat skiing I did in BC was below the tree line, so lots of tree skiing and the Spurs worked but just barely, I think they would be better suited to big mountain heli skiing. Ideally I want something lighter and more agile which is why these appealed to me. Now that said this is a ski that I will be lucky to get 3-4 days a year on, but the price is so good .... but yes not a practical ski though I think it will be a fun one.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So you are saying I should go for the longer pair .... or at this price should I just get one of each lol

Joking aside the cat skiing I did in BC was below the tree line, so lots of tree skiing and the Spurs worked but just barely, I think they would be better suited to big mountain heli skiing. Ideally I want something lighter and more agile which is why these appealed to me. Now that said this is a ski that I will be lucky to get 3-4 days a year on, but the price is so good .... but yes not a practical ski though I think it will be a fun one.

Did someone say cat skiing below the tree line?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I would go longer at your weight too, I am 5-10, 180 and have a pow ski that's 118×182.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't know much about that ski, the description from armada made it look like they may only have the one size. If that's the case I would look at a different ski.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I would go longer at your weight too, I am 5-10, 180 and have a pow ski that's 118×182.
The Blizzard Spurs I used earlier this month were only 179 and were fine, my Enforcer 110s are 185 so I think I can make these work, but will see if I can get them in a longer size at the same price. To be clear a big factor here is the crazy good price as this is a ski that I will only use a couple times a year at best.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I still regret not buying the Cham 127 when it was discontinued and cheap; You know you want one.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to think having a 125mm + in my quiver was a bad idea. But a 2foot storm completely erased that sentiment. Do it!!! Would agree with others that the length does seem a bit short, even for trees

Last edited:

Aeolian

Booting up
Skier
with a short turn radius.
  • I am 5'11" and 275lbs

At 275# - go fatter and longer. Even at full freight for the most appropriate skis, the price will get lost in cat trip prices (and bindings) over the life of the ski.

Also, sidecut radius has somewhere between little and nothing to do with turning in powder, OTOH, some is good for the firm parts...

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
So what if I said I was a light 275 lol big boned !!!

or what if I bundled the shorter skis with some Ozempic lol

Sponsor

Staff online