• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Whistler hotels that will allow 18 year old to check in alone

WildSkier21

Booting up
Skier
Im an 18 year old planning to take a ski trip to Whistler alone without a parent or guardian. Does anyone know of any hotels in the village that will allow an 18 year old to check in without a parent or guardian?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any 18 yr old worth his salt could surely get their hands on some superb fake ID. Then you can check in anywhere ;)

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought 18 year olds were adults. But maybe not in North America come to think of it. Better wait until you’re 30!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought 18 year olds were adults. But maybe not in North America come to think of it. Better wait until you’re 30!
Yeah, many places will allow 18 - and theoretically all should. But places that have mini-bars or room service that include alcohol (at least in the US) may have an age requirement of 21. I've heard party towns tend to be 21 as well, but can't confirm that. No idea on Whistler either OP... sorry.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t know about Canada but my 2 kids have travel many places in the US for sports, ski and beach trips in the 18/19/20 year old range and had no issue checking into hotels as long as they had an id & a credit card in their name.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you already tried and been denied? Otherwise find a few places you like and call them to ask.

Agree.
To the young OP: make your own path give it an attempt to try to find out by yourself first. If you're actually stuck, then of course, ask and people will be glad to offer advice. Taking care of obstacles yourself, rather then having them snowplowed out of your way, is a step towards adulthood. At least try, even if you fail at first, it is a learning process and you grow from those failures.

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
You'll be fine at the hi hostel. It's officially 18+. Probably a decent atmosphere for a young person travelling solo. And it's affordable.

Not right in the village, but the buses are frequent and work well.

As far as I know, you'll be fine most places, but I would call to confirm if you can't find the info on the website. You should have your own credit card though. And have a high enough limit to cover the deposit....which can be pretty high for a higher end place.

As for the party, drinking age is 19 in BC. Most places ID.

It's 18 in Banff and Quebec, which might make your "in the village' experience a bit more exciting. But you're there to ski, so whatever :)

Sponsor

Staff online