• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Stockli? Help needed, please

MMG

Booting up
Skier
(I am new here please tell me if you need to know more/didn't follow the posting etiquette).

Background:
180cm/72kg, former racer of SL/GS
Mid 40s, though I would say fit (running, swimming, etc etc...)
Forever renting things like Atomic S9, Blossom Flere Plus RC and alikes
Lange RX Superleggera / Lange RS 130
Recently moved to Northern Italy

After a few years of intense parenting, it looks like I could be over 20 days of skiing this coming winter. I would love to have two pairs of skis: a fast/carve one for hard slopes/going fast and a slower more leisurely pair suitable also for powder/bumps.

For the first pair, I set my eyes on a pair of Stockli SC (white ones) which are not too punitive. Nor I would like to go back to anything like the SL (light blue) or GS.
For the second pair, I am not the freeride type (though a 110 wide ski may well ever be my ski but I am willing to try) but I am getting more and more into powder.

Which ski other ski from Stockli range would please recommend? Or any other from any other brand that stands out. I looked at the AR or AX but I believe they are too close to the SC... Stormrider 95?

I shall thank you in advance for your time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That Superleggera is a cool boot. I have only seen one pair in the wild.

The SC is a great carver and sounes like what you want...as far as an addition, if you specifically staying Stockli and are going just two skis...it is hard not to choose the Stormrider 95. As far as other brands and options...
  • K2 Mindbender 99
  • Salomon QST 99
  • Kastle FX96
  • Nordica Enforcer 100
To start, but there are a some other great skis offered in that 95-100 range that you should really like but if you feel that you struck oil with the SR95, get that..then start lementing on what binding to put on them. :)

TS
MMG

MMG

Booting up
Skier
Many thanks for the above. Will have a look at some reviews online because I don't know much about those skis (and those ski type)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another 95 to 100 ski: Volkl V-Werks Mantra 99. It's very good on groomers, steeps and in bumps, but it's also very good in powder/crud. It is very light, but has the dampness of a much heavier ski.

(If you wish some 100 to 110 skis, please say so - nice ones there too, especially for powder/crud.)

TS
MMG

MMG

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all for the advice.

After some thoughts, I decided to buy some Lange XT (would love the 140/LV but I actually defies the purpose) and the Stöckli SC.

It looks like there are too many good wide skis to choose from. Hence I will rent some of them over the fall and then decide what to buy .

I shall post here all the reviews.

Can’t wait for November 1 (season premiere at Sölden along with the World Cup)

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski two stocklis, the Laser AX and Stormrider 95. I would like to try the SC some day and maybe replace it for the AX. I use the AX early season for the groomers and the Stormrider for most of the rest of the year for bumps, steeps, and some powder. I have a wider more rockered ski for the deeper stuff. I love the Stormrider, goes anywhere and so much fun. Good luck with your choice.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you all for the advice.

After some thoughts, I decided to buy some Lange XT (would love the 140/LV but I actually defies the purpose) and the Stöckli SC.

It looks like there are too many good wide skis to choose from. Hence I will rent some of them over the fall and then decide what to buy .

I shall post here all the reviews.

Can’t wait for November 1 (season premiere at Sölden along with the World Cup)

Regarding the SCs, you may already know all this, but: Stockli makes a full hand spread of near race ski frontside biased burners (Lasers SL, SC, SX, GS), of which the SC is one: the SC being more for variable a bit and more versatile with short turns, and a bit softer flex, as I understand it - without the demanding nature of an SL ski.

Folks recommending the SX - again, as I understand it (and have demoed it), are putting out a vote for an even more versatile turner, but centered on more powerful medium turns that are easy to make both shorter and longer, a la that x cross comp event. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but on the one hand it's a bit more laid back in that it turns more easily with different turn shapes, centered on slightly wider ones than the SC; and yet on the other hand it's less laid back in that it is designed to turn a bit more powerfully (hence the recommendation for the non-fis version).

In the same spread hand, except at the other end, and often overlooked, is the Stockli Laser GS (skipping the shortest version, then both 180/18.2 and c. 185/19.4). It's not actually a gs ski, but at least two different near gs skis with different lengths. The 180/18.2 is very quick edge to edge, and to me is as versatile in terms of terrain and turn size (as the SC and SX), but more laid back in terms of flex (like a cheater gs ski might be, rather than a skier cross ski). To me, the 180/18.2 version is every bit as quick as the SX, but with slightly less turn power (more up to you). It sings. Several other ski companies make a comparable, to me equally great ski: the Head Rebel WC iSpeed and World Cup iSpeed Pro 180/18 (ski very similarly to the c. 180/18.2 Laser GS), and the Volkl Deacon 74 and 74 Pro (comparable-behaving ski is c. 178/17).

The longer, c. 183 or 185/19.4 Laser GS version(s), retain(s) more the feel of a GS ski w/o the demand. With its smaller turn radius, it's much more user friendly, recreationally, and does not require the extra space nor extra speed of a gs ski to give a bit of a real gs feel (again, with less of the extra effort of a gs ski needed). Again, both Head and Atomic make skis that have a similar feel, at a similar length and radius.

I prefer the c. 180/18.2 Laser GS (which I own) to the SX, as, for me, it is less demanding and bossy in terms of both turn shape and feel - and less overall effort (than either the Laser GS c. 183/19.5 or the SX - not sure about the SC in this regard). It has just as strong a high end performance and speed level, however, if and when that is occasionally wanted.

P,S. I skipped the 170 Laser SL, but am told that the non FIS versions, and especially this longer length, are also cheater skis, different than the race SL skis folks got used to when competing: easier, versatile, fun.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
MMG - I was kind of in the same boat. I have a stack of Stöcklis Lazer line, some with Marker WC PP and some without. I was looking for a playful powder ski and found it in the Head Kore 99. A little more playful for me than the Stormrider. Enjoy.

Sponsor

Staff online