• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific - Which Ski Areas in North America are Faring Best Under El Niño?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Give-El-Nino-the-Boot-SkiTalk-Petersen-slider.jpg

With the current El Niño climate pattern, in your experience which areas are doing the best (or worst) as far as plentiful snowfall and winter temperatures?

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It appears Alyeska has been doing well.

1704320275839.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny I was just at the Dr, struck up a conversation about skiing and he said he's heading to Alyeska because they're the only US resort getting snow.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I spent last season with my nose pressed up against the glass watching what was a record year in the west. Now that I’ve rehabbed and am ready to go, there is no snow :doh::doh::huh:. I hope my July 3rd reboot at mammoth isn’t the best snow I see in the near future.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
NC resorts should all be 100% open tomorrow.

1704384796110.png 1704384896936.png

Granted they'll struggle to hang on through St Patrick's Day. But it's totally GAME ON down here now..

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well it looks like the current storm is taking a southern track across the Rockies. Think New Mexico, So Colorado. That’s usually a trend during an El Niño event.

Upside looks like it’s getting active

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In B.C., Panorama has something like 140 of 144 runs open mostly due to tons of snowmaking on most of the mountain.

Sun Peaks has 109 of 140 runs open, mostly due to a small amount of snow making and 30+ years of on going summer grooming. Rock skis not needed.

There was fresh snow and slightly colder temps this morning at SP and it is snowing this evening with more snow and cold predicted.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
In Quebec , the average is 33% of the runs open on every hills , big and small .
A disaster for the economy .

We are as dry as the Sahara : what can be skied is only man-made snow and very little of it because they lost close to everything due to the rain and high temp at Xmas . Consistency of concrete with bare patches and small pebbles .
And now , here , where I live , close to the border , the forecast is rain - again - in 4 days .

We should make an offering , a sacrifice !
Sadly , I have no cat left ( lack of waves last year ... ) so we should go for chickens , lot of chickens !!

This is not what I envisioned for my old age ....

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last night Timberline Lodge got 20" of snow in 24 hours, with more snow predicted through next week. I have attached the area's graph of the current snowfall compared to average snowfall. The red X and the last graph segment are my additions. Although the recent snowfall is a great boost and the mountain may be fully open by next weekend, the mountain is still quite low on snow accumulation. Maybe close to caught up by the middle of the month???

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 8.05.28 AM.png

Sponsor

Staff online