• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which FWT ski would you pick?

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good choice. He is doing amazing things on that one. I am sure I could ski just like him if I could get my hands on a pair. Verbier Run
Every comp is more amazing than the last. Not just for Marcus, but for
the whole field. What a season!

The level these guys are skiing at is just unbelievable. The gap between Ski Men and the other three categories on the tour is enormous.

Last edited:

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
The level these guys are skiing at is just unbelievable. The gap between Ski Men and the other three categories on the tour is enormous.
There is a long and on going discussion at TGR about the reasons that the level of the snowboarding is so far below the skiing. Are the best snowboarders doing something else or is a snowboard just the wrong tool for a venue that works well for the ski men? Maybe some of both.

I think the level of the women's skiing has risen as much as the men, but the men are now doing things that are so mind blowing it is hard to see anything else. I love watching the top women ski. They ski like I wish I skied. The men look like they are playing a video game doing tricks I can't imagine.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a long and on going discussion at TGR about the reasons that the level of the snowboarding is so far below the skiing. Are the best snowboarders doing something else or is a snowboard just the wrong tool for a venue that works well for the ski men? Maybe some of both.

I think the level of the women's skiing has risen as much as the men, but the men are now doing things that are so mind blowing it is hard to see anything else. I love watching the top women ski. They ski like I wish I skied. The men look like they are playing a video game doing tricks I can't imagine.
The more I ski with snowboarders in steep terrain, the more I certain become that a snowboard is an inefficient tool for getting around a mountain. They seem great for powder and in certain other situations, but skis are much more versatile, especially in steep, technical terrain. I think there's some of that in play for the snowboarders, and I think some of it is that there's the Natural Selection tour and a few other outlets competing for the top talent, and those two factors combine to make the Snowboard Men category less impressive to watch than the Ski Men.

The Ski Women category is also great to watch, even if that's a couple of steps below the Ski Men. My purely subjective ranking of the categories is:

Ski Men
(huge gap)
Ski Women
(pretty big gap)
Snowboard Men
(huge gap)
Snowboard Women

The Snowboard Women category is pretty much unwatchable for me. Maybe the times I've watched them have just been bad events, but it looks to me like they're just trying to get to the bottom without hurting themselves rather than trying to ride fast and throw tricks to win events.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think some of it is that there's the Natural Selection tour and a few other outlets competing for the top talent
I don't follow any of this enough to know anything... but from what I do see in my limited following, do you think it's possible that Olympic snowboard type events (half pipe, slope style, etc.) siphon off more good snowboarders from the world-wide pool than skiers?

I ask because it seems like these Olympic (X-games, etc.) events are more popular for snowboarders than for skiers... so the FWT pool might be less impacted for skiers than for snowboarders. (But I could also be talking out of my backside, because I don't follow things very much...)

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't follow any of this enough to know anything... but from what I do see in my limited following, do you think it's possible that Olympic snowboard type events (half pipe, slope style, etc.) siphon off more good snowboarders from the world-wide pool than skiers?

I ask because it seems like these Olympic (X-games, etc.) events are more popular for snowboarders than for skiers... so the FWT pool might be less impacted for skiers than for snowboarders. (But I could also be talking out of my backside, because I don't follow things very much...)
I think some of the best riders pursue the X-Games and Olympics, some focus on filming, and few if any of their sponsors care much about the FWT. I can't blame them for going where the money is telling them to go.

It is also pretty clear from watching that a snowboard is just not the best tool for the type of riding these faces require. The recoveries the skiers make can't be made with your feet connected. No one would think of trying to do an FWT run on a monoski. It would be disastrous, and possibly deadly.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No one would think of trying to do an FWT run on a monoski. It would be disastrous, and possibly deadly.
Oh yeah?

1711470251961.png

(Of course, you may note the date that was posted on... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: )

James

Out There
Instructor
Good choice. He is doing amazing things on that one. I am sure I could ski just like him if I could get my hands on a pair. Verbier Run
That was good. Crazy double jump there.
Good to see the they got some coverage. I was there the second week of Feb and the Bec was showing too many rocks.

Sponsor

Staff online