• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Epic pass resort to go for less crowds?

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
I purchased a Epic military veteran's pass this year. Been mostly sticking to local Seattle resorts and Whistler. Never skied this so-called dry powder people are talking about. I find myself with a 5 day opening after cancelling a trip the Palm Springs for mid March. Looking to try an Epic pass resort without long lift lines and crowds, good snow and easy drive from the nearest major airport. I was thinking Park City but I see they haven't had a lot of snow. Any suggestions? Btw, I'm a high intermediate who likes venturing off piste. Thanks.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Keep the Palm Springs trip. Golf on the weekends and it's a relatively easy drive to Mountain High for skiing. Busy on weekends but quiet midweek. Mostly groomers on manmade snow and spring conditions. No realistic shot at powder. I've scored only a couple powder days in several decades of keeping an eye open. I'm pretty sure it's on the Epic pass. I have the Ikon pass so I haven't been there for a few years but we day tripped a lot from San Diego when the kids were little and enjoyed the groomers. It's a decent hill - better than its reputation.

I'll offer you a waterski ride if the weather is good and I'm back from the Utah trip we are doing mid March. PM me if you stick with Palm Springs and bring your waterski.

Eric

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Beaver Creek is a long-ish drive from Denver, but all major highway, so easy if the weather is nice. It tends to not get long lift lines.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have said Sun Valley, but they are not honoring military Epic and don't have powder.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mid March is Spring Break, so crowds will be up. But if you can avoid weekends, especially Saturday, crowds shouldn't be too bad. Keystone and Beaver Creek are typically the best of the Summit/Eagle Epic resorts for crowds.

TS
H

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for all of the replies. There’s not much snow in the forecast for next week in CO/UT. Without new snow, is it still good skiing conditions compared to PNW concrete? Might have to drive up to Whistler again instead. I’m looking at a Sat-Wed trip.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride & Fernie, like Sun Valley, aren't included in the Epic Military passes. Mountain High isn't on any of the Epic passes.
Crested Butte's the best bet in the Rockies, but as mentioned it's a long drive from the airport.
Kirkwood (plus Heavenly on weekdays, if you want more variety) should give you good skiing and low crowds, convenient to Reno, but the snow's going to be more like home.
If you're up for a little extra drive time compared to Whistler (or Amtrak), Schweitzer's got great conditions and shouldn't have anything like the crowds you're used to. Their spring pass is $99 through Sunday.

Sponsor