• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Where is the Beacon Practice Basin in Winter Park?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BCA and some other articles list Winter Park as having a beacon practice basin/park, but I can’t find it on their website. Anyone know where it is?

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I haven't heard anything about it in years. Used to be somewhere near Primrose iirc.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I've never seen it, maybe on the WP side? It's not listed on their maps.

Edit: straight from their safety page

"Avalanche warning: While rare within the resort, avalanches may occur both inside and outside of the posted ski area boundary at any time WITHOUT WARNING. Become educated on how to reduce the risks through your own actions and awareness. Visit www.avalanche.org to contact the Winter Park Ski Patrol for information or location of beacon practice areas."

https://www.winterparkresort.com/the-mountain/mountain-information/safety/winter-safety

Now I suspect they'd direct you to one of the "closed" sections of trees

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s not a full park, just a single beacon. It’s on Little Ten,off of Challenger lift line.

Last edited:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good to know. I've been wondering about @Slim's question since he first posted. I've been skiing WP (before there was an MJ) and WPMJ for 53 years and had never heard of a beacon practice area.

Sponsor

Staff online