• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where do your ski gloves wear out first?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Tumble dryer with tennis balls?

OK, let me double check this idea...

I'm talking about full leather gloves with Gore-Tex lining. Is something like this safe to wash and dry? I always assumed it would be a total no-go for this kind of glove.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
OK, let me double check this idea...

I'm talking about full leather gloves with Gore-Tex lining. Is something like this safe to wash and dry? I always assumed it would be a total no-go for this kind of glove.
Is there a care label in it?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
In the absence of a label, if a glove it packed down I'd say wash cold by hand or in a machine. Machine is probably better since the spin cycle will partially dry them better and more safely than wringing. If drying by hand, squeeze them between towels but don't wring hard. Then finish drying on a rack. You could tumble dry on briefly on low heat or even no heat if drying on a rack does not re-loft them but I'm less sure about that. Followed by some kind of leather treatment

In XC skiing, I wash performance gloves (no membrane in them and only partially leather) many times a season - every two to four wears and every single time if I sweat noticeably in them. This probably reduces their lifespan but is important for warmth. At least one brand (Toko) advertises that their gloves can be machine dried. I rack dry myself.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
In the absence of a label, if a glove it packed down I'd say wash cold by hand or in a machine. Machine is probably better since the spin cycle will partially dry them better and more safely than wringing. If drying by hand, squeeze them between towels but don't wring hard. Then finish drying on a rack. You could tumble dry on briefly on low heat or even no heat if drying on a rack does not re-loft them but I'm less sure about that. Followed by some kind of leather treatment

In XC skiing, I wash performance gloves (no membrane in them and only partially leather) many times a season - every two to four wears and every single time if I sweat noticeably in them. This probably reduces their lifespan but is important for warmth. At least one brand (Toko) advertises that their gloves can be machine dried. I rack dry myself.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try this with one pair and see if the liner can get revived a bit. I imagine that really getting the sweat/oil out of the fabric should do some good in getting that material to have more "room" for air.

Sponsor

Staff online