• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where do your ski gloves wear out first?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I was cleaning out my ski gear bag, as it was getting pretty bloated. I was adding two new pairs of gloves, and found 4 pair of old ones I could toss. Looking the old gloves over, every one was worn out worst at the base of my right thumb. The left thumb faired far better, for some reason? Most of the old gloves had been retired due to the right thumb damage, but otherwise were fine. Maybe I'm special, but perhaps the ski glove manufacturers could come up with some extra padding or leather to combat this issue.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I had a glove that the seam ripped on the left thumb. I wrapped some black duct tape around it and skied with it four more seasons before tossing them and getting a new pair this past fall.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I blame sharp ski edges for the demise of most of my ski gloves.. GOOD leather is the only thing that holds up to the rigors of grabbing and carrying your skis. And ya, the inside part of the thumb is where that happens most.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I had a glove that the seam ripped on the left thumb. I wrapped some black duct tape around it and skied with it four more seasons before tossing them and getting a new pair this past fall.
I was a firm proponent of duct tape for my ski gear, but my ski budget is better now. I even held together the tip of some K2 Comp 610's for several seasons with duct tape. I would use it occasionally on the inside of my boots since I would shred the plastic around the ankle with my inside edges.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The knuckle pro, since I use them for questioning after dark.

1700866110684.png

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Thumb seam rips generally first. Bit of the chroming on the leather might wear on fingertips and palm.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rarely have a ski glove or mitten wear through before the insulation packs out and they are less warm.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my Kincos at work the leather reinforcement patches always fell off first.

For ‘civilian‘ skiing, they pack out first.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seams on thumb, index and middle finger usually goes first. Sometimes the leather on those finger will wear through also.
Super glue gel followed by Aquaseal for the fix.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Aquaseal - never heard of the stuff, but it looks like it could work. Does it seal well to leather? It's advertised for vinyl, rubber wet suits, and the like.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Aquaseal - never heard of the stuff, but it looks like it could work. Does it seal well to leather? It's advertised for vinyl, rubber wet suits, and the like.

I use Loctite super glue ultra gel on couple spots on the hole to get it to stay close. Super glue gets very hard & brittle when cured. Very often the material adjacent to the fix will tear due to the inflexibility of the super glue. Not to mention scratching my face with the hardened glue. An application of aquaseal over the fix in a slightly larger area will distribute the tension to the surrounding material. Best part is aquaseal drys soft similar to dried silicone caulk. I don't scratch my face with the patch anymore.

I do go over the super glue patch with a 200 grit diamond stone to ease all the sharp point before applying the aquaseal.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thumb seams wear out first.

When I was younger, the middle finger seemed to wear out. :) But now that I am older, wiser, and more reserved it's the thumb that wears out.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
On good quality gloves? It's always the insulation that dies first for me. Gloves get super compressed over time and aren't as warm as when new. Anyone know how to revive a worn out glove?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I use Loctite super glue ultra gel on couple spots on the hole to get it to stay close. Super glue gets very hard & brittle when cured. Very often the material adjacent to the fix will tear due to the inflexibility of the super glue. Not to mention scratching my face with the hardened glue. An application of aquaseal over the fix in a slightly larger area will distribute the tension to the surrounding material. Best part is aquaseal drys soft similar to dried silicone caulk. I don't scratch my face with the patch anymore.

I do go over the super glue patch with a 200 grit diamond stone to ease all the sharp point before applying the aquaseal.
Shoe Goo is also great for patching gloves pants, jackets, etc.. You can also cut a piece of fabric then use a layer of shoe goo to attach it firmly over that problem area. It will last longer than the rest of the equipment..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
On good quality gloves? It's always the insulation that dies first for me. Gloves get super compressed over time and aren't as warm as when new. Anyone know how to revive a worn out glove?
Tumble dryer with tennis balls?

Sponsor

Staff online