• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC When did Crystal Mountain get rid of Silver Queen?

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
From south to north, the peaks at Crystal Mountain used to include Silver King, The Throne, Silver Queen, Crystal Mountain (location of the top of the gondola), Grubstake Peak, etc. In that order.

Now, when you look at Fat Map, Google Maps, or Maps.me they all label what used to be Silver Queen as "Crystal Mountain". They don't list Grubstake Peak at all, nor Silver Queen.

Do any other old timers besides me think there's been a mistake made?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmmm, Not sure but found this stoke

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure where Fatmap or Google get their intel, but on Crystal’s trail map on the website they still show Silver Queen at the top of Chair 6, and Grubstake Point above Green Valley Express. Same as always.

Now renaming Iceberg Gulch as Middle Ferk’s seems wrong. Ferk’s a nice guy and all (long time patroller) but still....

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
From south to north: Three Way Peak, Silver King, The Throne, Silver Queen, Crystal Mountain, Grubstake Point, Northway Peak, Morning Glory Peak. All inbounds/alive and well.

TS
Crudmaster

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
I've already written Fat Map to no avail.

Otherwise, they're SO GOOD for almost all trails. Kim Kircher gave them good info.

I can understand why Kircher et al were happy to get rid of Iceberg in their nomenclature. But I wish Upper Ferks would have been named Ferks Ridge, because a descriptive in the name helps everyone remember and communicate better.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Is there a story here are just the bad connotations of "iceberg" for snow quality?

Seems half the hill has had name changes. How people refer to runs is usually an indication of how many years they've skied there. And yep, iceberg gets iceberg-y for sure. :)

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Is there a story here are just the bad connotations of "iceberg" for snow quality?

My understanding is long time patroller Ferk got his choice of runs to rename. He chose Iceberg Ridge/Iceberg Gulch/Lower Bull Run which are now Upper/Middle/Lower Ferk's.
Some other name changes from the same era:
CMAC -> Chapelle's
High Campbell -> Chair 6
Skid Road -> Arwine's

Sponsor

Staff online