• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I confess, I know nothing of mobile phone applications.

But a navigation app that did not rely on cell phone service would be handi both summer and winter for off road excursions.

I have a Motorola phone.

Suggestions as to where to start?

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Gaia is pretty standard. As you get savvier Avenza is quite powerful.
I'll look into those Thanks

I doubt I'll make it to the savvier stage ;-)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
US Topo Maps Free is good for basic routes and let's you download the maps you want to use.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
US Topo Maps Free is good for basic routes and let's you download the maps you want to use.
US Topo displays present location on the phone? I have not seen that feature.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
+3 on Gaia. Caveat -- Gaia drains batteries quickly. I usually carry a back up battery to use to recharge during the day. Keep both in an inner pocket. Also, I would not rely on any battery powered gadget as my sole source of navigation information in the winter. I use mine more for amusement. Map and compass and know how to use them.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You want it to provide a ROUTE (navigation) or just location (where am I right now)? Since you're talking outdoor activities, are we talking mountain biking? Kayaking? There are few (zero?) apps that route off road. Some will have forest roads, tho, and some won't. My daughter works for a mapping company, so you might say I've heard a bit about this. Their app does not do routing. Yes, you can download maps for offline use, and there's a ton of accompanying info you can download, but their app is geared to hunters and routing is not an issue. She herself uses a different app for mountain biking. (Trailforks). If you just want to know "where am I", there are quite a few. And at that point, you start to care about layers. What other info do you want to see? Property ownership? Hunting info? Satellite image? Terrain? Slope? Unless we know what you want to do, it's tough to say what you need.

Be aware that the more detailed the map, the more room it takes up on your device. So, you may only want to download for the immediate need.

I use Maps with Me for driving and have downloaded not only my own state, but all the surrounding states "just in case". Because they are not satellite and terrain maps, they'll do. But I'd use either Google Maps for directions or her company's maps if I were looking for ownership info and just download the immediate need. Because they take up a ton of storage. I've been known to use my Garmin, Google, my car's navigation, and Maps with Me, all on one trip. Because these things are always letting you down at the worst times.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online