• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado What to expect while skiing at Wolf Creek this winter.

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
This post shows how Wolf Creek operates with COVID and the skiers on the mountain. Yes, it took place at Wolf Creek - but I believe it is how all ski areas should operate this winter.

Below is a copy of the report of Mark Gerardy on the Epic Pass holder group on FB. If you want to copy it for other sites he says OK.

Skied at Wolf Creek today, and yes, I realize that this is not an Epic ski area: but sharing with you their response to Covid nonethless.

This is the first time in the past 232 days that I have ever seen vigilant-compliance and mask enforcement.

Maybe some, many or all Epic resorts will be lax. But in some counties which receive ominous warnings, like Summit County Colorado - this might be what is in-store for you the skiing customer:

Today at Wolf Creek to get my day pass, ski resort employees were looking for people not wearing masks and quickly calling them out - giving people a chance to mask-up, or even suggesting that the ski area might provide a mask for them - but cross them and be ejected. I hear the employees say, “If you don’t like it, the highway is right there”.

They do not care or want to hear excuses, politics, statistics and appeared to be in no mood to grant accommodations or exceptions. They clearly did not seem concerned about losing customers and appeared locked-and-loaded to quickly deal with anyone who protested the rules. They aren’t messing around.

I personally thanked that gentlemen, the enforcer, both verbally and through my own actions of being in-compliance from the moment I left my truck. I got to enjoy my ski day.

When dealing with guest services, I implore people to mask up or be prepared to face immediate consequences. In the lift line I worked under the assumption that the lifties were enforcing. While on the lift, I briefly took off my mask, took a drink of water but masked up once in view of the liftie at the terminus exit.

While actually skiing, on several occasions, especially while skiing in the trees. So no, you can take short maskless breaks when off by yourself or with your immediate group.

Wanted to share this so folks might learn what to expect.

Please look at my post below. I do not believe this post should be in the section on Colorado!!!!

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious to know what kind of mask was acceptable. Buf? Fleece neckgaiter? Cloth? Surgical?

TS
OldJarhead

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
I believe putting my post in a section just about Colorado is a mistake. I saw the post initially in the Epic Passholder group on Facebook. Yes the post is about Wolf Creek and what they expect from all the skiers on the mountain. I do not know where the post should be - but it does not belong in section on Colorado.

I believe how the staff of Wolf Creek is treating their skiers is an example of how EVERY ski area should treat the skiers. I have seen nothing from any of the Epic mountains probably because none of them are open and Summit County is close to being in lock down due to COVID.

I did not get an Epic Military Pass because it seemed too complicated and more expensive than it would be worth. The only Epic Mountain I would have felt safe on would be Crested Butte. Maybe in late January or February I may change my mind - but ONLY if COVID is under control

Since I am 75 and how the mountain is run you could say is a matter of life and death for me and everyone over 60.

My home Ski area is Ski Santa Fe. Ski Santa Fe is the closest ski area for skiers from Texas and a large percentage of the citizens of Texas have shown they don't care what the rules are about anything especially COVID. If the systems in New Mexico or Colorado are not similar to those in Wolf Creek I have NO interest in skiing.

My health is more important than skiing.

TS
OldJarhead

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
This was someone's comment on Epic Pass Holders on Facebook about the above post:

Fantastic report. Thank you! We travelled abroad in August to a place that had 100% mask compliance out of mutual respect of the virus and each other and it FELT SO GOOD!! (Ie. Safe, respectful, a view on normal.) Please, everyone, just do it so we can ALL have a ski season. Tiny price to pay. Omg now I’m excited for ski season!!

This is why I posted - I would like to see this somehow made easier for everyone on this site to be aware of how all of us can ski this winter and FEEL SAFE!

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I was just in Pagosa last weekend and passed by WC. Crowded with cars were parked out on the service road. I didn;t realize they were open or I would have brought my skis with me! :doh:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Looking at Wolf Creek mid-February, thought this was the most relevant already existing post so rather than fire up another

Any additional reports? Saw some in the main CO thread of some crowding? Parking out on the highway? How's mid-week crowding been late Dec/Jan? Thanks!

Edit: also looking for Pagosa Springs accom. rec's - looks like a great town to spend some time in.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking at Wolf Creek mid-February, thought this was the most relevant already existing post so rather than fire up another

Any additional reports? Saw some in the main CO thread of some crowding? Parking out on the highway? How's mid-week crowding been late Dec/Jan? Thanks!

Edit: also looking for Pagosa Springs accom. rec's - looks like a great town to spend some time in.

Pagosa Springs has everything you'll need with lodging, ski rentals, grocery, etc... It's the best spot to stay for Wolf Creek. If you haven't been, know that Wolf Creek Pass is a big mountain pass and can get a lot of snow. Ensure you're prepared with your vehicle to get up and down it as I've seen vehicles not make it up. Whether it be 4x4, AWD, chains, cables or snow socks. I recommend having a plan. The ski area sits right on top of the pass, so you will have to travel it every day you ski. If you're coming from DEN or COS, you'll also have to travel it to get to Pagosa Springs as it's on the Western side of the Pass.

If you're looking to eat inside restaurants, you'll want to keep an eye on the county restrictions as that will determine if they are open for interior dining and at what capacity. I would assume it will still be orange in February, but hard to say.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

The rest of Colorado is somewhat lacking snow (its not terrible though) and have limited terrain and some even require reservations to ski all that = crapshow at Wolf Creek even though its in the middle of nowhere. People are that desperate.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Pagosa Springs has everything you'll need with lodging, ski rentals, grocery, etc... It's the best spot to stay for Wolf Creek. If you haven't been, know that Wolf Creek Pass is a big mountain pass and can get a lot of snow. Ensure you're prepared with your vehicle to get up and down it as I've seen vehicles not make it up. Whether it be 4x4, AWD, chains, cables or snow socks. I recommend having a plan. The ski area sits right on top of the pass, so you will have to travel it every day you ski. If you're coming from DEN or COS, you'll also have to travel it to get to Pagosa Springs as it's on the Western side of the Pass.

If you're looking to eat inside restaurants, you'll want to keep an eye on the county restrictions as that will determine if they are open for interior dining and at what capacity. I would assume it will still be orange in February, but hard to say.

thanks oswald - Land Cruiser w/ all weathers, I would have chains as well, but little experience besides the occasional snow/ice driving back east that I've done. With 4x4 - what would be preferable? Chains or cables?

The rest of Colorado is somewhat lacking snow (its not terrible though) and have limited terrain and some even require reservations to ski all that = crapshow at Wolf Creek even though its in the middle of nowhere. People are that desperate.

That's my worry as well based on the report I saw of cars parked out on the highway and folks hiking in (pretty sure that was Wolf Creek). Hopefully by mid-Feb things fill in, snow reports looked pretty good at Snowmass and Steamboat, maybe not front range.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
thanks oswald - Land Cruiser w/ all weathers, I would have chains as well, but little experience besides the occasional snow/ice driving back east that I've done. With 4x4 - what would be preferable? Chains or cables?

I don't have any experience with chains/cables/socks. I have always had winter tires with AWD or 4x4. I personally have only driven up/down the pass 4 times in an AWD with winters and two of the days were big snows. Talking saw what looked like FWD suv's turning around because they couldn't make it up snow.

I'm sure plenty of people on here can confirm they drive the pass no problem with 4x4 and all seasons. I just personally can't speak to it. I would assume that will be enough to get up and down.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

That's my worry as well based on the report I saw of cars parked out on the highway and folks hiking in (pretty sure that was Wolf Creek). Hopefully by mid-Feb things fill in, snow reports looked pretty good at Snowmass and Steamboat, maybe not front range.

Right now if I could go ski anywhere in Colorado I would go to Aspen/Snowmass. Best combo of low crowds, good snow, good chunk of terrain.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
We are low tide, but the skiing is good! Our terrain may have a few rocks, but (for the most part) they are visible...
Man we were taking a hard look at that - always 2 flights from CLT regardless making it a bit more cumbersome to get to. IF we did that, would be a family trip. I'm also considering a dirt bag trip with my brother - we'd drive out over a couple days, 'slum' it in Pagosa Springs and hit Wolf Creek, hence my interest. I wouldn't take the fam there - not enough creature comforts. They're def more Aspen types.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

The Quality Inn across from the hot springs. Stay there and walk over to the springs for a soak. For good eats, City Hall Cafe and Grill.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
The Quality Inn across from the hot springs. Stay there and walk over to the springs for a soak. For good eats, City Hall Cafe and Grill.
Ack - thanks - I think we're looking for Condo w/ a kitchen type of thing so we can do a good bit of home cookin' and packing lunch for the mid day chill back at the car (is your basecamp). But we DEF want to get in those hot springs, if they're open. Stupid COVID.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fireside Cabins and the old Best Western, now the High Country Lodge both have cabins with small but full kitchens. Personally, I prefer Fireside, but many like the other better.

High Country Lodge has a hotel associated with it and the cabins are out in back. Fireside is all cabins, on the river one studio and the rest have bedrooms Both are a little out of town, on the way to the mountain. High Country is the last lodging heading from Pagosa to the mountain. Both have hot tubs, so there's that. The springs hot tubs are all separated and outside, but their changing rooms are not all that nice even pre-COVID. I wouldn't go there now for anything.

I was disappointed in what I saw on the webcams at WC over the holidays. Crazy crowded and a third of the people in the long lift line for Treasure Lift were not wearing masks. I was not there but was checking the cams to see if we wanted to drive up. Decided against it.

In contrast, I've skied three times at Santa Fe and they are very good at managing the whole scene. Not one person without a mask and when one person had their mask below the nose, the lifties respectfully aske them to fix it. The reservations system seems to be working and the parking lot was well below capacity. Not much snow though, so it could simply be that not that many people want to ski there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Fireside Cabins and the old Best Western, now the High Country Lodge both have cabins with small but full kitchens. Personally, I prefer Fireside, but many like the other better.

High Country Lodge has a hotel associated with it and the cabins are out in back. Fireside is all cabins, on the river one studio and the rest have bedrooms Both are a little out of town, on the way to the mountain. High Country is the last lodging heading from Pagosa to the mountain. Both have hot tubs, so there's that. The springs hot tubs are all separated and outside, but their changing rooms are not all that nice even pre-COVID. I wouldn't go there now for anything.

I was disappointed in what I saw on the webcams at WC over the holidays. Crazy crowded and a third of the people in the long lift line for Treasure Lift were not wearing masks. I was not there but was checking the cams to see if we wanted to drive up. Decided against it.

In contrast, I've skied three times at Santa Fe and they are very good at managing the whole scene. Not one person without a mask and when one person had their mask below the nose, the lifties respectfully aske them to fix it. The reservations system seems to be working and the parking lot was well below capacity. Not much snow though, so it could simply be that not that many people want to ski there.

If Ski Santa Fe has decent snow I wouldnt even consider travelling to WC. I love SSF. Very fun terrain, no crowds. Fantastic tree skiing when its on. Glad to see they are handling the pandemic well.

Sponsor

Staff online