• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What to do: Binding Brakes Catch

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Anyone have their bindings catch on the skis causing them to lock together momentarily while skiing (I ski tight)?

I had it happen to me in the past so I cut the inside brake off of each binding to fix the problem (it worked but it does look odd lol)

I'm about to mount new bindings up and wondering if anyone had an alternative fix (tried searching and couldn't find anything).

I can't be the only person on the planet that has this happen?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What binding and width brake on what width ski?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I had it happen to me in the past so I cut the inside brake off of each binding to fix the problem (it worked but it does look odd lol)

Not exactly safe. Binding brakes aren't just for convenience. If you're skiing inbounds (based on the Griffs comment) -- you owe it to other people on the hill to have properly functioning brakes -- lest a ski go rocketing down a groomer into someone. One side ain't going to stop a ski on a groomer or firm snow.

Different brakes retract differently. I tend to choose a brake narrower than the ski and stretch it just a bit.

One constant issue with Marker Royal series bindings is the lack of a 100mm brake available.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not exactly safe. Binding brakes aren't just for convenience. If you're skiing inbounds (based on the Griffs comment) -- you owe it to other people on the hill to have properly functioning brakes -- lest a ski go rocketing down a groomer into someone. One side ain't going to stop a ski on a groomer or firm snow.

Different brakes retract differently. I tend to choose a brake narrower than the ski and stretch it just a bit.

One constant issue with Marker Royal series bindings is the lack of a 100mm brake available.
It is coming next year!!! They were listening.

Marker

marker-100mm-brakes-pugski-wish-list-jpg.53329

How about a 100mm brake for the Royal bindings? With so many 98-102mm skis on the market, 90 mm is too narrow and 110 mm just hangs over. This would have been a better investment of time and money than the 120mm brake.

mainek2

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@Pauldotcom, I know exactly what you're talking about. The guys at Christy's Sports in Frisco, CO, taught me to bend the brakes inward with pliers so they'll still function correctly yet decrease the size/space of that dreaded brake-ski gap where your other ski's binding's inner break can interlock.

I ski trees much of the time, and am a total old-school parallel skier (it's all about the smoothness and precision) and I highly recommend the above tactic. I've had that locked situation and it can by scary, fo' shiz.

Skiing without breaks? Not advised. Dangerous to others, and if you lose you a ski, well, think about the long, trudging walk down to the car. Just sayin'.

Ski fast, take chances. . . .

mainek2

Skier
It is coming next year!!! They were listening.

Marker

marker-100mm-brakes-pugski-wish-list-jpg.53329

How about a 100mm brake for the Royal bindings? With so many 98-102mm skis on the market, 90 mm is too narrow and 110 mm just hangs over. This would have been a better investment of time and money than the 120mm brake.
Good to know moving forward, thanks Notorious P.U.G.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
You could remove the brakes and use a safety strap. If you don't fall much, it might be a viable solution.

Cylo

Skier
I have been having a similar problem. I ski an old school style. Feet very tight and close.

But what happens at times is my brake gets caught in my PANTS on the opposite leg.. and its a scary moment. I dont really want to tuck my pants in... and not crazy about ripping the brakes off

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is an max/min acceptable difference between ski width and brake width on bindings? For example, if I’m looking for a binding t mount on a 76mm wide ski, what brake width ranges will work best?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Having been old school and having had a safety strap cause a ski to scar my chin on a fall (lucky I didn’t loose teeth or eye), address the brake issue. Some bindings retract the brakes better than others, so maybe a binding choice is a better option.

I dod remember reading on a previous site bending brakes can cause metal failure on said brakes rendering them useless.

Sponsor

Staff online