• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Ski Should I try Next?

Zoovander

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
About me: intermediate skier on a mission to get better. 5’5” 125 lbs, medium aggressive. Will be traveling all over the west with this ski. I suffer in chopped up powered and hardpack groomees if I don’t have the right ski.

I spent a Demo day on the Zelda 106F In 168. I loved it in the deep powder and on groomers. I hated it in the chopped up powder. It threw me down multiple times. I even took a lesson on skiing mixed conditions on the ski and the instructor said it looked like I was not heavy enough to flex the ski. He said I skied it well elsewhere. But let me tell you when I say it threw me down. It THREW me down. It was catchy and one or the other ski would just take off in a random direction.

I have a softer ski , Icelantic Maiden 101 in 155, that I like Ok in powder,and chopped up snow it is fair. But it’s rotten on hardoack.

Does anyone have recommendations or advice on what I experienced. I don’t know the qualities in a ski which caused the problem. Thanks!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know @Tricia had the Zelda 106F in the test fleet two seasons ago and liked it a ton and I don't recall her having the bad experiences you had with it. As far as future considerations, we just got back from Mammoth where there was a good amount of cut up chop, two skis that stood out for her were the Dynastar Legend 106 W ans the K2 Mindbender Alliance 106.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d give the Blizzard Sheevas a try. It’s a really well rounded ski. It has metal in it, which helps a ton with stability and crud/hardpack performance, but it’s a partial sheet and not so stiff that you have to ski it aggressively/it’s soft enough in the tips to ski powder well.

The turn radius is really tight, which makes it so easy to whip around and keep turns tight in terrain that’s challenging for you. They’ve been a really good fit for friends who are building confidence and fluidity on steep ungroomed terrain. If confidence is a non-issue, sizing up makes them a little more eager to turn long (to me, the 172 Sheeva felt like it skied as short or shorter than the 169 Atris Birdie, 169 Santa Ana 110, 167 Salomon Stella, and 167 Backland 109).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d give the Blizzard Sheevas a try. It’s a really well rounded ski. It has metal in it, which helps a ton with stability and crud/hardpack performance, but it’s a partial sheet and not so stiff that you have to ski it aggressively/it’s soft enough in the tips to ski powder well.

The turn radius is really tight, which makes it so easy to whip around and keep turns tight in terrain that’s challenging for you. They’ve been a really good fit for friends who are building confidence and fluidity on steep ungroomed terrain. If confidence is a non-issue, sizing up makes them a little more eager to turn long (to me, the 172 Sheeva felt like it skied as short or shorter than the 169 Atris Birdie, 169 Santa Ana 110, 167 Salomon Stella, and 167 Backland 109).

My wife would echo all these Sheeva thoughts. She's 5'2" and 130 pounds, and a solid, slower, expert-ish skier. These skis took her to her best two chopped up pow and crud days of her life at Sun Valley last week (15 inches one day and probably 12 the other).

She has the 164s, and is happy with that length.

Sponsor

Staff online