• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What length Volkl Yumi for my wife?

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife is looking at a pair of Yumi's. She is 5'5"/115lbs and is an intermediate but getting better. She pretty much just skis frontside out west. She is between the 154 and the 161 in length. I'm thinking longer because the ski has a fair amount of tip rocker, but would be interested in getting others' input.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm an intermediate but an inch taller and weigh a lot more and I'd ski the 168. My skis range from 163-173 depending on the ski. I feel with the tip and tail rocker the Yumi skis shorter. I say the 154 would be too short and opinions will vary on the 161. I demoed the 168 and had a blast on it.

Is it possible for her to demo because then she can see what feels good to her. She's very light so the 161 might feel just right.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd go with the 161 as well.
It will offer a little more stability on the groomers.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
What has she been skiing/what length?
All rentals, and she doesn't remember a lot of them, but I think the last ski that she skied on is a Salomon Aira in 158. She has also skied Head Total Joys, but she doesn't remember the length.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ATLSkier I'd definitely go 161 then. Generally most intermediate women I know looking at all-mountain skis will start with their height and knock a few cms off to get to their target length. The 161 would be perfect and gives her more "room to grow" if she's progressing. The only reason I'd go shorter is if the jump to the 161 is more than 10cms than what she's used to.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 2016 Volkl Yumis (161) I’m looking to unload. Daughter was on them the past 2 seasons....I can sell flat or with bindings (Marker Squire). Topsheet/base/edges are all in very good condition...lots of wax in them.

PM if your interested...Here’s a pic.

AC5AEDB9-F853-4869-8D3D-1A316481E5D7.jpeg

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I have 2016 Volkl Yumis (161) I’m looking to unload. Daughter was on them the past 2 seasons....I can sell flat or with bindings (Marker Squire). Topsheet/base/edges are all in very good condition...lots of wax in them.

PM if your interested...Here’s a pic.

View attachment 84386
These skis look in great condition (far better than my Kore 93s after 2 years), but I like the newer Yumi for my wife because they added a titanal band in 2018 to make it a little stiffer. I'd also like to do new just because it is the first pair of skis she has owned and they are kind of a Christmas present to her. Thanks for the offer though.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These skis look in great condition (far better than my Kore 93s after 2 years), but I like the newer Yumi for my wife because they added a titanal band in 2018 to make it a little stiffer. I'd also like to do new just because it is the first pair of skis she has owned and they are kind of a Christmas present to her. Thanks for the offer though.

Yes..agree. The new Yumi is a nice upgrade with the metal in it. Great choice...I agree with others that the 161 would be a ideal.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
My daughter has been skiing 161 Yumis (the newer model with metal) for the last 2 years. She has is now about 5'8" 145, and probably about due for new skis but the Yumis have done remarkably well. Even used them for a little middle school racing recently (in NZ) and beat a few kids on race skis.

I think you should consider BC's offer above. You wife is pretty light, so the lack of metal might actually be a good thing given that she's sizing up a half size. Can always buy her new powder skis :)

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the titanal band on the new Yumi knocked the ball out of the park. I felt the old Yumi was a noodle and the titanal band turned the yumi into a valid player.

*This probably won’t get a classic SSG “like”....lol..but...

The Yumi has always been a valid player since inception for lightweight women skiers, teenagers, etc. Back in 2015, the Yumi was recommended to me/my daughters by our local Volkl rep that had his daughters on them as well. It was a great ski for both my teenage daughters....and felt they progressed really well in the two years they were on them. The Yumi has been as big a seller at our shop for that teenage/young skier market as the Blizzard Black Pearl has been for our adult women market.

Sorry, you may have felt it was a noodle, but you were probably not the target skier for that model ski....

Volkl has added metal to the Yumi, so yes, it now has some more teeth to it and is possibly a little more “valid” for not just teenagers, but for lightweight intermediate women skiers.

Sorry for thread drift...Yumi is a great ski for the right customer.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if this helps, but just another reference point: my wife is skiing SSG's "old" Yumi's (with metal -- they're not that old) in 168. 160lbs, 5'8", but not an agressive skier at all. She's happy, whereas she was NOT happy on the Rossi Temptation 84 in that length.
If I were looking for a ski for someone your wife's size, I'd definitely consider BC's offer.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
+1 on the 161 in either the Yumi (with metal) or the Kama (quite similar to the original Yumi, no metal) would both be solid options for your wife; she is a featherweight so the Kama should not be out of the discussion. Calling @tinymoose for her insight here.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wouldn't completely write off the old, all wood Yumis or Kamas. The titanal band definitely makes a big difference in how the skis feel, especially their dampness, but depending on how fast/aggressive she skis, the all wood ski might be more than enough for where she is at right now and may even help her improve more than a stiffer ski would.

I owned the old Yumis and have the current ones w/the titanal band, both in a 147. I'm 5'1" and about 100 lbs. I picked up the all wood Yumis when I was probably a high intermediate skier. I was consistently skiing a lot of black diamonds and getting into more ungroomed terrain at that point. I used those original Yumis for a few years before I started to find their limits (for me). It wasn't until I started really picking up more speed, and I'm talking a lot of speed at the bottom of a fairly steep black, where they started feeling squirrely. So unless she's going mach-chicken, I don't think the titanal band is really going to be a huge factor one way or the other with regards to the speed limit for her. My skis are also shorter proportionally to me than hers would be to her in a 161, so the extra length should get her some some extra stability at speed compared to my skis.

The biggest difference the titanal band is going to make is in their dampness in crud and choppy snow. And it's a big difference, or at least it was to me as a lightweight. The all wood skis get tossed around A LOT more than the titanal band version. Just adding that little bit of metal, in my opinion, did a lot to help the ski bust through chopped up stuff better, or at least it smoothed out the ride. That being said, the all wood version forced me to find other ways to deal with that choppy, crappy snow, which was to keep the skis on edge through it. If I put the skis on edge, I never had any issue avoiding that getting tossed around feeling. And in some ways, I think that probably only helped my skiing improve. The all wood skis will also be easier to flex and so might help her carving skills improve more than the stiffer version would. I actually owned the Kenjas prior to the Yumis and going to a less stiff ski did a lot for my skiing. Granted, the Yumi with the titanal band is still nowhere near the stiffness of the Kenja.

FWIW, I took my old Yumis, even when we were approaching the end of our relationship, down Pearly Gates at Snowbird. So just b/c they're lacking metal doesn't mean they're going to be a limiting ski. Just food for thought. But you can't really go wrong with either the new or old version. It's a great ski for a lightweight.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The all wood skis will also be easier to flex and so might help her carving skills improve more than the stiffer version would. I actually owned the Kenjas prior to the Yumis and going to a less stiff ski did a lot for my skiing. Granted, the Yumi with the titanal band is still nowhere near the stiffness of the Kenja.

That is hard won wisdom in a nutshell. :golfclap:

Sponsor

Staff online