• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the difference in feeling for 65mm, 75mm and 85mm for not skiing in groomer?

paulsalzburg

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Please be as detailed for my imagination.

Sorry for the many questions my background is snowboard.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
If you want the clothes to fit, you need to have the correct measurements, right?

It would help if you tell everyone your age, height, weight, skiing experience, skill level, and where you typically ski.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It would help if you tell everyone your age, height, weight, skiing experience, skill level, and where you typically ski.
paulsalzburg, yes do this. Tell us more information about you.

The feel for different widths will depend on how you ski, what snow conditions you typically encounter, your terrain aspirations, your height and weight. All these get very important once people move beyond offering generalizations about waist width and begin making specific ski recommendations.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
And, much more is involved that just the waist width of the skis. The turn radius is important, labeled on the skis in meters, like 19 M or something. The smaller the number the tighter the turn at the same degree of edge angle.
The flex pattern is critically important. Some skis are made flexier than others of the same length and waist dimension. Some are more even flex, and some may have a softer tip and stiffer tail. And, in any line of skis, the longer the skis the stiffer they're made, with few exceptions. A flexier ski will turn more easily until it is overpowered by the weight or strength or speed of the skier, then it's a let down.

Generally the wider the skis the more float you'll get in deep snow. On groomers the wider skis take more effort to get on edge and put more strain on one's knees.

You know the difference in feel between a slalom snowboard and a powder board and boards in between those two.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure the OP is still here,

The 85mm waist will be more fun in the deeper snow compared to the other two. Having said that, Most all-mountain skiers are on at least a 85mm waist, even here in the Northeast. I haven't had a ski less than 88mm in over 13 years.

Back about 2000, all-mountain skis moved up to a 70mm waist, then about 2004 82mm became common. About 2011 I got my first Volkl Kendo, 88mm I believe the waist was. I also have 110mm and 119mm waist skis. I'll also add, I have been doing my own ski tuning for over 20 years. I find I can get the same feeling of performance out of all my skis. It's easy to railroad track my 119's like I do on my 90's.

I see you another thread also that is close to this one in your question.

Sponsor

Staff online