• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is advantage of 12 meter slalom ski verses 16 meter ski I ski like slalom?

TS
P

paulsalzburg

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Assuming they haven't put me on very stiff skis but on beginner/intermediate-appropriate skis, I imagine the 12m radius ski will have me turn quite quickly, but may feel a bit squirrely/unstable going faster in a straight line, in bigger turns or at higher speeds. The 16m radius ski will give me more control and stability overall, but takes away some of the agility in very short turns. Which I might make in terms of meters, but not necessarily in terms of high frequency.

For overall skiing (i.e. not specialized in very short turns) I would go for the 15-16 m radius ski, assuming that you're trying to get me on a Salomon S/Max 8 (R16@175) and not a Head Worldcup Rebels e-Race Pro (R15.8@175).

Like I said earlier: Radius is just one factor, and in this scenario/ability level not the most important one, IMO
What's easier? I learn to control a 12 meter ski in skiing fast and stable? Or I learn to make 16 meter ski to make tight curve?

For when I become advanced skier.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I prefer the shorter radius ski. Maneuverability and can carve at lower speeds. One draw back is I'm all tuckered out in a few hours. Do you want to make 300 turns in one run or 4 runs.

TS
P

paulsalzburg

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Skiing fast on a 12 m radius ski is asking for trouble. Don't do that.
You might be lucky, but your like might run out.

I prefer the shorter radius ski. Maneuverability and can carve at lower speeds. One draw back is I'm all tuckered out in a few hours. Do you want to make 300 turns in one run or 4 runs.
I still don't know what I want. Maybe I try both and buy 2 skis. One 12 meter and one 16 meter.

Is it bad or good to buy 12 meter and 16 meter skis as the skis I own? I ski Salzburg.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I still don't know what I want. Maybe I try both and buy 2 skis. One 12 meter and one 16 meter.

Is it bad or good to buy 12 meter and 16 meter skis as the skis I own? I ski Salzburg.
I own both tr skis. The 16r skis are wider 76mm and longer 170cm. I enjoy them in softer snow and a more casual turn at higher speeds.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you. Why 16 meter in your opinion?

A 12M ski is usually a race ski or near race ski. They are usually very reactive skis. It's like putting a new driver in a race car. Usually not a good match. A 12M ski will kick you all day long if you are not balance on them.

16M skis are generally more forgiving. Good to work on fundamentals and technique.
You hear lots of talk about speed. For me, speed shouldn't feel fast. If it feel fast, you are doing something wrong. Learn to ski slowly with good technique and you'll be faster than most "fast" skiers.

Hakuba

Booting up
Skier
You did not list the length and waist of them. I think they are important.
I happend skied these 2 radius skis last 2 years, about 10 days for each.
And I am a new-to-carving skier.
My experience on 12m radius skis are fischer rc4 wc sc, 19/20 model, length 160, sidecut is 122-68-103, radius is 12.5m, they are the first pair of skis I owned.
I comprehended carving the first run I skied them lol. I felt comfort on them, and only put little effort they will carve into the snow. But they like to turn and you can not carve too long time before they bounce you up.
After enjoyed carving on them for days I felt pretty confident, so I switched to "higher" skis.
They are 166, 118-70-101, radius is 16m. They were like 2 steel plates under my feet, and the only way I can carve on them is I hit like 50 km/h.
But I did learned a lot in the few days I skied them.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I don't know. I ski Hintersee and Untersberg.

Is becoming better skier better for me with 12 meter ski more often used or 16 meter ski? I think 12 meter ski. What is your opinion?
For those resorts you should get a 15 m or 16 m radius ski preferably having a width of 68 to 72 mm.
Once you get some more time on snow expand in both directions (i.e. get a GS and a SL ski, then a SG ski, then... ad infinitum).

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I don't know. I ski Hintersee and Untersberg.

Is becoming better skier better for me with 12 meter ski more often used or 16 meter ski? I think 12 meter ski. What is your opinion?

You have to ask yourself what kind of turn to you want to make. The pics I posted were both from Hinetertux - you can ski either. On a 12m ski you will need to make many more turns if you are carving. On a 16m ski you have more time to allow the turn to develop. I kind of see 12 as better for down the fall line and 16 m for across. Either ski can make brushed turns.

Is this helpful?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The answer is BOTH.. Get BOTH when you are skiing a lot of days at a fairly high level. 16 for skiing bigger terrain faster (and NASTAR/Beer League races. The 12 for crowded days and/or smaller vert places.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get BOTH when you are skiing a lot of days at a fairly high level.
The OP has already said that he/she is a beginner looking to move to intermediate. Certainly not at a fairy high level, yet.

Probably better off beginning with a 16m ski as you're learning to carve. But the best answer is to take a lesson from a qualified instructor and ask him/her their opinion. You'll get a much better answer from someone who has actually seen you ski than from strangers on the internet.

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
Interesting discussion. I just purchased the Stockli Laser MX (158/12.6 radius) b/c I wanted a frontside ski to use for short, precision turns at slow to moderate speeds. I'm advanced, but I'm old(er) (64). I hope I bought the Lexus, not the Ferrari.

James

Out There
Instructor
You can do badly on both.
There’s more than just turn radius involved. As a beginning skier, don’t get something too stiff. Why don’t you rent for a bit and get some feedback from experienced skiers. You’re in the land of narrow carver rentals.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski I would honestly suggest would be an intermediate ski in the 16m-20m'ish. A short radius ski will amplify mistakes and lengthen your learning curve. Get something forgiving, you will be much happier as you advance as a skier.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There’s more than just turn radius involved. As a beginning skier, don’t get something too stiff. Why don’t you rent for a bit and get some feedback from experienced skiers. You’re in the land of narrow carver rentals.
The OP has already said that he/she is a beginner looking to move to intermediate. Certainly not at a fairy high level, yet.

Probably better off beginning with a 16m ski as you're learning to carve. But the best answer is to take a lesson from a qualified instructor and ask him/her their opinion. You'll get a much better answer from someone who has actually seen you ski than from strangers on the internet.

Agreed. Both WHEN skiing at a high level. A true beginner or even intermediate shouldn't be on anything with that much shape. 16 min.. 21 is better IMO.. Depends of the ski too.. Softer rather than a beefy carver..

Sponsor

Staff online