• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is advantage of 12 meter slalom ski verses 16 meter ski I ski like slalom?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
depends on the elbow....
IMG_3715.jpeg

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Living in the East on often hard snow and unpredictable conditions, the 165 cm slalom ski with a 12-13 meter radius is my go to ski. When I am coaching the kids, doing drills, and just free skiing you just can't beat real slalom skis for precision short turn skiing. I will even run a NASTAR type GS course on those skis with no problem up to say 16-20 meters. Slalom skis also work on really hard snow and bumps too. My favorite drill with the kids is to make lots of short turns on steep and bumpy terrain, as you just can't ski those conditions without a good pole plant. Watch Mikaela Shiffrin and she has a consistent pole touch on every slalom turn, especially when it's steep and icy.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just to add................for newer skiers my kids all grew up skiing on junior slalom skis. Again easy to turn and good grip on the hard snow. Seems all the ski shops are pushing the fat skis, but even out West you don't get many powder days anymore thanks to global warming. Blue and green trails are usually groomed and great for slalom or a de-tuned slalom skis for most adults and kids. Skiers can usually purchase them cheap at ski swaps, as slalom skis are generally more durable than standard rec skis.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to add................for newer skiers my kids all grew up skiing on junior slalom skis. Again easy to turn and good grip on the hard snow. Seems all the ski shops are pushing the fat skis, but even out West you don't get many powder days anymore thanks to global warming. Blue and green trails are usually groomed and great for slalom or a de-tuned slalom skis for most adults and kids. Skiers can usually purchase them cheap at ski swaps, as slalom skis are generally more durable than standard rec skis.

Around here in Europe the skis offered as “beginners” skis in rentals are 99% slalom skis and nothing is above 75-80 waist.

Sponsor

Staff online