• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you give up as you get fatter?

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
If this would be better posted in the newbie forum, I'll delete & repost over there...
I'm learning about all the new stuff that's come out in the past 20 years, and was wondering:
I get that a fatter ski will float better in powder, and that the shape and radius of the sidecut will affect what kind of turns the skis "want" to make.
But - and I don't know, maybe this isn't a thing - but if you had two skis with similar-shaped sidecuts, and one went 125-80-105, and the other was 135-90-115, (assuming everything else was the same), what would the skinnier ski be better at?
I'm not sure if the question makes sense....?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
There's a lot of research that proves that wide skis (>85mm underfoot) promote pushing the ski in the late shaping to finish of the turn. If you want good technique that generates great ski performance, don't go with a wide ski. I actually ski a 78 and 68 under foot in almost all conditions, including two days this last week of +20" of powder.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
As you get fatter you lose the ability to quickly skate up long ski hills on your skis.

Skinny skis are easier to tip. It's not really that much harder to tip wide skis and if you know what you are doing and aren't too heavy you can carve great trenches and make great turns by tipping wide skis way up on edge, but the difference is enough to make it so you never learn how.

The phrase, "If it feels good do it." comes to mind. Fat skis feel good pivoting and slarving turns; skinny skis feel good carving turns on edge. It's the edges that make you turn, whether it's only slightly with a near flat slarving ski or a lot with a strongly edge carving ski. Get a wide ski and you will naturally and gradually get better and better at slarving and pivoting. Get a skinny ski and you will naturally get better at edging, making hard turns and carving.

Sponsor

Staff online