• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What did you do to your _______ today?

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Put a new headliner in my Cherokee Xj. I got tired of looking at the headliner sagging when checking the rear view mirror.
3 yards of Duck Canvas was used from Michaels craft store. I used 3m 3808 headliner adhesive. Took just under 5 hours to complete the job. The material is a close enough match to the sunvisors so I'm calling that good.
I bought this Jeep as a Covid project and I'm 99% done working on it. Everything works and I'm keeping it stock.

Attachments

• 20210427_174651.jpg
    20210427_174651.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210427_154634.jpg
    20210427_154634.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210427_190457.jpg
    20210427_190457.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200718_161023.jpg
    20200718_161023.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 19

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Put a new headliner in my Cherokee Xj. I got tired of looking at the headliner sagging when checking the rear view mirror.
3 yards of Duck Canvas was used from Michaels craft store. I used 3m 3808 headliner adhesive. Took just under 5 hours to complete the job. The material is a close enough match to the sunvisors so I'm calling that good.
I bought this Jeep as a Covid project and I'm 99% done working on it. Everything works and I'm keeping it stock.
I was parked next to a stock XJ sport and was struck by how small they are compared to modern "compact" SUVs. The few I usually see have lifts, big tires and a safari rack so they seem bigger than they actually are. They definitely seem to be having a resurgence in popularity lately.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
The last year of this body style was 2001 and they have definitely had a surge in value the last few years. I had a 1989 Cherokee bought two years old and kept until 2004. It started growing moss in my driveway so I sold it with 135k for 2500 bucks.
Bought this example for 3500 a Seattle two owner vehicle. It has kept me busy for the past year cleaning 30 year old sensors and replacing components that should have been time changed years ago.
I was a member in a ski house in the nineties and the 89 Cherokee always got the job done heading up Ski Run Blvd. In all the years I owned it i never had to chain up, one year I arrived at South Lake Tahoe at just before midnight with snow up to the front bumber. Stuck it in 4lo with Goodyear Eagle street tires and it climbed the hill to the house . The skiing the next two days were epic at Heavenly ;)

Attachments

• 20201112_222647.jpg
    20201112_222647.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 12

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Last week on F150 forum saw that Carvana, Vroom and CarMax are paying astoundingly high prices for used trucks due to production halts caused by chip shortage. Offered mine to CarMax then Vroom. Vroom 6 grand higher than Carvana so sold it to them. Loaded Tuesday of this week and fedex check yesterday. Other than a set of tires and a bunch of gas I drove my 19 48K miles over 20 months and sold it for $1250 less than I paid new.

Happy camper here. May take awhile for market to settle down. I might have been early but don't care. Taking wife's 17 Outback and getting her a new car. Wife likes me more now :cool:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Last week on F150 forum saw that Carvana, Vroom and CarMax are paying astoundingly high prices for used trucks due to production halts caused by chip shortage. Offered mine to CarMax then Vroom. Vroom 6 grand higher than Carvana so sold it to them. Loaded Tuesday of this week and fedex check yesterday. Other than a set of tires and a bunch of gas I drove my 19 48K miles over 20 months and sold it for $1250 less than I paid new.

Happy camper here. May take awhile for market to settle down. I might have been early but don't care. Taking wife's 17 Outback and getting her a new car. Wife likes me more now :cool:
Sounds like you did great, sure glad you didn't use "We Buy Any Car .Com" I took my wife's care in and was offered a low ball price (about one third of value), of course I turned it down. Good Luck looking for a new vehicle.

Uncle-A

Skier
I had to replace the garage door opener on one of my garage doors, the one that went bad was about 15 years old. I have no idea how long they last. Does anyone have history of their life span, I would like to know if they just go bad or should they last longer than 15 years?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Seriously thinking about this...Summit Co. trip from Texas. Many miles of wonderful SE CO ride to Frisco and A Basin/Breck spring fun. Can stop at any hotel for ? days if roads are slick. Of course will pack skis and gear proper.
20210507_161420.jpg

Harley ski trip.JPG

So this is what I did with my scooter today.

Uncle-A

Skier
At what point do you stop doing things to your vehicle and start looking for a new/different one?

The reason I asked is my 2006 GMC with about 160K is starting to have multiple component failures. I have already replaced water pump, starter, and some paint work. I just had the fuel pump and the wiper motor intermittent timer go bad and I have not repaired them yet. It also looks like it could use tires and maybe new brakes in the near future.
I have stopped doing the repairs myself and now have to pay mechanic prices to fix things things so it has gotten to the question is it time?

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Installed a new clutch pushrod oil seal in my 1994 Ducati Elefant.
Only 200 of these things were imported in 1994 as homologation specials so Ducati could race in the Paris Dakar off road race.
They won in 1994.
This one was owned by Ray Brinker who was Sheryl Crow's drummer.
Long story....
DSC02599.JPG

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At what point do you stop doing things to your vehicle and start looking for a new/different one?

The reason I asked is my 2006 GMC with about 160K is starting to have multiple component failures. I have already replaced water pump, starter, and some paint work. I just had the fuel pump and the wiper motor intermittent timer go bad and I have not repaired them yet. It also looks like it could use tires and maybe new brakes in the near future.
I have stopped doing the repairs myself and now have to pay mechanic prices to fix things things so it has gotten to the question is it time?
Generally, it depends on the person and the handiness...if they are willing to do the work themselves to keept eh vehicle road worthy. IMHO, when the costs are more that the cost of say what the replacement of a newer version ins, is when it becomes a consideration. We just replaced our 2008 Yukon XL with 185K with a newer one. While ours, for the most part, didn't take an exorbitant amount of repairs, there were too many times we were in remote areas that we could not afford to break down. If our driving was just around Reno or we weren't traveling with 30 pairs of skis, we probably would have milked it longer.

But to you point, it is a valid question, at what point do you stop throwing good money after bad? It sounds like you are at that point.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

It's usually a tough call with GM trucks. The drivetrain could probably go another 100k but the other repairs can add up quickly. I've put ~$2k into my 2010 Silverado(148k) in the last year but it's still been much cheaper than getting a new truck. Have you replaced the brake and fuel lines? How about the oil, tranny and power steering lines going to the radiator? These are common failure points that will probably need to be addressed sooner rather than later. The brake lines in particular are a big PITA and quite labor intensive.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the drivetrain could probably go another 100k but the other repairs can add up quickly.
Yup, we just put $1,300 into the rear diff on the 08 the year prior.

Uncle-A

Skier
It's usually a tough call with GM trucks. The drivetrain could probably go another 100k but the other repairs can add up quickly. I've put ~$2k into my 2010 Silverado(148k) in the last year but it's still been much cheaper than getting a new truck. Have you replaced the brake and fuel lines? How about the oil, tranny and power steering lines going to the radiator? These are common failure points that will probably need to be addressed sooner rather than later. The brake lines in particular are a big PITA and quite labor intensive.
Yes to the power steering lines, sorry I forgot to list them and no to the other lines.
As far as the power train a mechanic that did the power steering lines said the motor is probably good for at least 200K but the transmission is generally only good for 160K - 170K so that is also on my mind since I am at the 160K mark already. I don't try to resell my old vehicles because I generally use them pretty much to their end of life. I have donated them in the past and try to get a tax deduction but with the newer tax laws it doesn't happen much anymore.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Still milking my '07 / 175K Honda, though it only gets used for kayak trips, local ski trips, and destination hikes/rides/skates. There's no point in replacing it - the new ones don't, can't do the same thing and going upmarket or more trucky would overlap too much.

So, given all that - ~zero resale value, great engine, super easy roof rack access, cheap parts, brakes and tranny all up to date - should I put new Freon in it? Hmmm.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Looks like you answered that one yourself.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^^^ Looks like you answered that one yourself.

Was that a response to me? If so, not really.

First, I never use car AC before a kayak or skate or ride because I really don't need the heat adaption shock when I get there.
Second, the third federal stimulus bill also included a lot of refrigerant changes (I've posted about this before), meaning the seals and pressure controls and other hardware are going to have to be updated sooner than later.
Third, there's really good argument that being environmentally responsible means not using car AC at all, especially when the outside temps are close-to-comfortable anyway.

So, yeah. I'm fine with replacing the heater core or headliner or trunk bed tray or brake lines, but AC that mostly gets used for rainy day defogging...hmmm.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah... I see there was more to that question than it appeared.
On first reading, it seemed you were asking if you should keep -- and invest in -- the car.
Now as to new freon.... that's beyond my scope of imagined expertise.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Foggy windows is my primary reason for AC. Especially with wfh. No need to worry about sweaty dress shirt syndrome...

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes to the power steering lines, sorry I forgot to list them and no to the other lines.
As far as the power train a mechanic that did the power steering lines said the motor is probably good for at least 200K but the transmission is generally only good for 160K - 170K so that is also on my mind since I am at the 160K mark already. I don't try to resell my old vehicles because I generally use them pretty much to their end of life. I have donated them in the past and try to get a tax deduction but with the newer tax laws it doesn't happen much anymore.
Yeah the 4L60E can be a ticking time bomb after ~150k but I've seen them in my mechanics shop wth 300k+ on occasion. :huh: The main reason I wanted a 2010 or newer was to get the 6L80E which is significantly beefier...and easier to tune.

Sponsor

Staff online