• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What can the Soul 7 do that the Kore 93 can't?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Long time owner of a pair of Soul 7's. Fun ski in moderate powder. Lightweight easy to turn. Not powerful though, can't blast through crud or heavy Tahoe snow.

Recent owner of Kore 93's. Love them, more power, but still very light and playful. I haven't had the good fortune to ski them in anything more than 8" of snow.

So my question is, as I'm considering selling the Soul 7's to a family member - can the Kore 93's do everything the Soul 7's do (and more?)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Slower speed trees in deeper snow has to be better on the Soul 7.... but I own the Enforcer 93(close to feel in powder to the Kore 93) and I am surprised by just how capable those skis are in most eastern tree no matter how deep the snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Long time owner of a pair of Soul 7's. Fun ski in moderate powder. Lightweight easy to turn. Not powerful though, can't blast through crud or heavy Tahoe snow.

Recent owner of Kore 93's. Love them, more power, but still very light and playful. I haven't had the good fortune to ski them in anything more than 8" of snow.

So my question is, as I'm considering selling the Soul 7's to a family member - can the Kore 93's do everything the Soul 7's do (and more?)

I would sell them unless you want to put on some AT bindings and use them for the backcountry.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I'm thinking even wider than the 105's - someday. For real powder. Kore 117's maybe?

Josh's post makes sense too. The rocker to me is the main difference, not the width. They really don't float much, they ski too short.

I can ski the Kore's slow in snow, yes the rockered tips might be easier to ski slow, but with good technique the tips of the Kore's don't get hung up.

I like the Soul's but only because they're so easy to ski, not because they necessarily are a great ski.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm thinking even wider than the 105's - someday. For real powder. Kore 117's maybe?

Josh's post makes sense too. The rocker to me is the main difference, not the width. They really don't float much, they ski too short.

I can ski the Kore's slow in snow, yes the rockered tips might be easier to ski slow, but with good technique the tips of the Kore's don't get hung up.

I like the Soul's but only because they're so easy to ski, not because they necessarily are a great ski.

For a Powder ski I really like a longer radius sidecut (around 25-30m is good) and smooth even flex. 110-120mm wide is more than enough even for me (6-2, 190lb). Flex is most important. The sidecut is not really in play in powder I think, so its more so that the tips dont get hung up which can happen with some skis. Excessive rocker is not necessary but helps up to a point I guess. If you want the ski to be versatile in hard snow then you look at all aspects but for powder those are my thoughts. I did not love the Kore 105 in heavier pow (might have been a tune or wax issue), same thing with the Soul 7. In light pow good but as it got heavier (wet) and/or wind affected it fared much worse. From the 93's I would jump to a 110mm wide ski or more for sure for an awesome 2 ski quiver.

Mine consists of Monster 88's in 184cm and the Moment Deathwish (112mm wide, 190cm long with a 27m radius) which is awesome in powder but is not washy in hard snow.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
For a Powder ski I really like a longer radius sidecut (around 25-30m is good) and smooth even flex. 110-120mm wide is more than enough even for me (6-2, 190lb). Flex is most important. The sidecut is not really in play in powder I think, so its more so that the tips dont get hung up which can happen with some skis. Excessive rocker is not necessary but helps up to a point I guess. If you want the ski to be versatile in hard snow then you look at all aspects but for powder those are my thoughts. I did not love the Kore 105 in heavier pow (might have been a tune or wax issue), same thing with the Soul 7. In light pow good but as it got heavier (wet) and/or wind affected it fared much worse. From the 93's I would jump to a 110mm wide ski or more for sure for an awesome 2 ski quiver.

Mine consists of Monster 88's in 184cm and the Moment Deathwish (112mm wide, 190cm long with a 27m radius) which is awesome in powder but is not washy in hard snow.

Good post Ken, thanks. "2 ski quiver" though? I'm in the East so the Kore 93's only come on on soft snow days, use SL's and SC's most of the time. But you do back up my thinking that the 93 and a wider ski than the Soul would be better for the soft and deep days, and my Western trips - with the Soul kind of in no man's land now that I have the Kore 93.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Problem with Soul 7 (non HD version) is exactly what you wrote... Great ski for powder but sucks at everything else (at least if you are used to race ski style skiing like I am). It's just too soft (in all possible directions). I can't comment on HD version of Soul 7 as I have never been skiing them, but on end of last season I got lucky and got new pair of Super7 delivered to my front door. It can be Super7 but most likely main thing is improved stiffness with HD version, and ski is simply awesome. It's a bit bit more demanding (which means my Dynafit TLT6 boots are a bit little to drive this ski, and actually Rossi race boots (in ZC stiffness) are whole bunch nicer boot to ski this ski) then Soul 7, but it's playful, floats great and even for skies almost same way between trees as soft, lighter and 10cm shorter Soul7. But when I ski it on hardpack, I can drive it similar way then I'm used to drive FIS SL and GS skis. Sure it's not same as race ski, but at least you can lean into turn without having feeling you are standing on chewing gum. So for keeping single ski, get rid of both skis you have and get Super7 HD :D

Sponsor

Staff online