• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Brand Will Be The Winner In The #dieselgate Scandal?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With many cars being bought back by VW, what brand/brands will be the big winners? Will VW step up and offer incentives so good that people will just drive out of the dealership in a new VW or will VW leave their dealerships high and dry and make them fend for themselves? Subaru has been mentioned a lot as a replacement for the sportwagens. Will Toyota push Priuses, or Chevy, Volts & Bolts? Will people go the CPO route with BMW/Volvo/Benz? Will manufacturers offer a special rebate/incentive for VW TDI owners who show that they just turned theirs in?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It certainly won't be Jeep, in spite of the new Compass/Patriots, what with Startrekgate and all.

#badmovebyfiat

I think Subaru will be the big winner for people coming from Sportwagens. Honda and Mazda for the Jetta and Golf folks. Passat owners might go BMW/Volvo. CPO's will be an option and I think the mileage weinies will go Prius. There is no reason to stay VW unless they throw a bunch of extra money at us, most people drove TDI's because they were diesels first and VW's second.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
The people I know who bought the 4 cyl diesels hate the Prius. VW tdi and the Prius are very different animals - starting with the low key VW style vs the goofy Prius style.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are there gonna be cheap CPO diesels? I'll have a new driver soon. If the fix makes them slower, that's a feature!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are there gonna be cheap CPO diesels? I'll have a new driver soon. If the fix makes them slower, that's a feature!
You will be able to buy used ones I just don't think you will see a CPO program for them.

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
When looking for a commute car in LA, I went to Prius first. A few minutes into the test drive, I asked the salesman why so many people drive these, for I found it an awful experience... tinny, noisy, and lacking enough power to accelerate an LA freeway onramp. His response, have you driven the Lexus CT200h? I reminded him that this was a commute car and no funds for a Lexus. He then shared that the CT200h leased cheaper than the Prius so I stopped the test drive and ran to Lexus. I walked out the door a few hours later with a Lexus CT200h, with a 15K mi per year lease at less cost than the Prius at 10K mi a year. I've been very happy with my CT200h... comfortable, powerful, and cost effective. I've been driving the car nearly a year now and average near 50mpg. I have had no problem hauling skis and stuff. Not sure if I would want it as my go to snow car, but I absolutely love it for everyday driving.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It certainly won't be Jeep, in spite of the new Compass/Patriots, what with Startrekgate and all.

#badmovebyfiat

I was just chatting with some folks at work about this. They're pursuing a class-action lawsuit over this alleging a "defect". But you know, the car isn't actually defective, or at least doesn't appear to be. It worked as designed. Can they win? Dunno. Poor design? Certainly unorthodox. I suspect there'll be a level of "think of the children" and they'll squeeze something out of Jeep, but I think it'll be tougher than they think. RTFM

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You will be able to buy used ones I just don't think you will see a CPO program for them.
Just speculation, but it seems like there's a chance the powertrain warranty will be extended for the neutered TDI's. Not as good as total coverage CPO, but it would be an attractive incentive to get the cars fixed and would make all the used (and unused) TDI's more attractive.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just speculation, but it seems like there's a chance the powertrain warranty will be extended for the neutered TDI's. Not as good as total coverage CPO, but it would be an attractive incentive to get the cars fixed and would make all the used (and unused) TDI's more attractive.
There is a chance but will they be able to get them federalized? VW announced the 2017 product line and no TDI's for the U.S. The 2015's that are sitting on dealers lots have not moved. My guess is if there was an acceptable fix for these cars, they would have started to get them ready to sell. I think the dealers are just as in the dark with this situation as the consumers. Volkswagen is failing on so many levels here. I have seen very few cases that a company has handled a problem like this worse than the way VW has.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think you all are underestimating the number of drivers who will just throw their hands up in frustration and plonk down on a nice vanilla Venza.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you all are underestimating the number of drivers who will just throw their hands up in frustration and plonk down on a nice vanilla Venza.

I thought the Venza was cancelled?

I think all the VW TDI owners will naturally gravitate to the Focus RS!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20151027_163859.jpg

Focus rocks! Already got mine!

Eric

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Volvo was the first to do something, they are offering 5/50K maintenance for conquest VW/Audi sales.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This summer my son, his mom and I looked at most of the offerings in the $20-25,000 range. The three of us all felt the Kia Optima won hands down, all things considered. One of the few times the three of us have been in agreement on anything.

Sponsor

Staff online