• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Well we've gone and done it . . . new "Racers" here

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
The 10 YO Boy and myself signed up for the local hill race team. Masters for me, of course, which I was told is anyone 21 and over :eek:

I did it to get the season pass discount and why not going to be up there with the boy all the time anyway so might as well run some beer league gates. Joined the USSA and everything!

Neither of us has ever done this before. We're going to roll "regular" gear - I'll use my Volkl RTM 81's for now, he'll be in a high quality recreational season rental with 4 buckle boots. Heavy kid for 5th grade - 100 lbs. Loves to ski like his Dad. We have a developmental league for Jrs trying it out.

Wish us luck and open to advice! I may chronicle the experience here for everyone's enjoyment, should be a comedy of errors all season long.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think you'll have a blast. An instructor friend of mine doesn't have a racing background and signed up for an adult race league at her small mountain in CT and used her 87 underfoot Volkl Kenjas. She just had a blast. I think she even came in first in her age group in one of the races. She said it was just pure fun. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
If the emphasis is on fun and bettering technique, you can’t go wrong

That's exactly it, and hoping the boy takes to a sport. He's going to try wrestling this year too. Ulterior motive, gets me out of the house and on the hill all winter in between the few trips out west we can do. I don't see any downside to more time on skis for either of us. I could sure use a lot more drilling and fundamentals practice!

The only negative I see is travel time - but even then I can catch up on my podcasts and audio books! We're 2.5 hrs door to door from home, 1:15 from my folks' house where we will stay a lot.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Riding the lift with your son, probably in matching outfits , race gear on , how lucky for you !!
That’s AWESOME !!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Congrats @Decreed_It Sounds like you will have a lot of fun. I also bet that before anyone can say ”Pirmin Zurbriggen”, you’ll both be on a race ski of some sort :golfclap:
Don’t forget to circle back every now and then and tell us how it goes.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
OK so feeling some stoke, we're now officially on the Team by way of being invited to the Team Snap app LOL. Opening party is Dec 7th so we'll blog it up starting around then, here in this thread. This is going to be a hoot, I just know it. Told some friends and interest is growing - you gotta love Monkey See, Monkey Do peer pressure :D Talk of cabin/condo shares has started.

1st challenge, the boy is around a 23/23.5 Mondo in a Jr boot, he's pretty big for a 10 yo, and they had to bring in a 4 buckle boot from the other store. Hoping it will work, will find out this afternoon or on Sat AM. I did see Jr boots aren't that expensive but I really do not want to buy a fast growing kid anything at all. Season rental is like $175 around these parts and you can trade up if they grow too much during the season.

Race skis - maybe, we'll see about that. Let's just get down the course in one piece a few times first y'all! :roflmao:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Congrats @Decreed_It Sounds like you will have a lot of fun. I also bet that before anyone can say ”Pirmin Zurbriggen”, you’ll both be on a race ski of some sort :golfclap:
Don’t forget to circle back every now and then and tell us how it goes.

Now why would a Swede choose "Pirmin Zurbriggen" and not "Ingemar Stenmark" ????

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love to try beer-league racing, but driving half way around Boston in rush hour traffic does NOT sound like fun.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK so feeling some stoke, we're now officially on the Team by way of being invited to the Team Snap app LOL. Opening party is Dec 7th so we'll blog it up starting around then, here in this thread. This is going to be a hoot, I just know it. Told some friends and interest is growing - you gotta love Monkey See, Monkey Do peer pressure :D Talk of cabin/condo shares has started.

1st challenge, the boy is around a 23/23.5 Mondo in a Jr boot, he's pretty big for a 10 yo, and they had to bring in a 4 buckle boot from the other store. Hoping it will work, will find out this afternoon or on Sat AM. I did see Jr boots aren't that expensive but I really do not want to buy a fast growing kid anything at all. Season rental is like $175 around these parts and you can trade up if they grow too much during the season.

Race skis - maybe, we'll see about that. Let's just get down the course in one piece a few times first y'all! :roflmao:

Jr boots are cheap. And btw, boots really only come in half-sizes, 22.5, 23.5, 24,5 etc. (there are one exception brand, not race stuff though). The ”even” sizes are the same shell as the nearest lower half size—23 same shell as 22.5 but sometimes with a thicker sole, that will be the same after 5 days.
And one advice: kids should grow out of their gear. Not into. Try to find used if you’re on a budget (most parents do).I bet your club, hey you’re in ask club, can help.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Jr boots are cheap. And btw, boots really only come in half-sizes, 22.5, 23.5, 24,5 etc. (there are one exception brand, not race stuff though). The ”even” sizes are the same shell as the nearest lower half size—23 same shell as 22.5 but sometimes with a thicker sole, that will be the same after 5 days.
And one advice: kids should grow out of their gear. Not into. Try to find used if you’re on a budget (most parents do).I bet your club, hey you’re in ask club, can help.
yeah that's the plan and - correct, 23.5 4 buckle boot is waiting for us at the shop to try out. If that's off we'll re-evaluate and ask the club for a decent 22.5 4 buckle. And for sure all the other race stuff is hopefully going to be outgrown club hand me downs!

Sponsor