• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weakened leg

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am experancing loss of leg strength, knee pain that is dull achy , it got progressivly worse until I gave up two weeks ago, I did ski a lot this year and did lots of trees bumps in loose snow. It started out in BS with ibuprofen taking care of the pain and ended up with feeling that amputation was the answer. There was no fall or twist that I can contribute to the situation. I partially tore my quad tendon with lead to a complete rupture in the other leg . And the feeling of the partial tear are very similar . It feels better now I am not skiing, I just don't want to ignore and be back in the same boat next year. I am 64 5'-10" 170lbs advanced skier

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Maybe OA? Before I was diagnosed I thought I wasn't going to be able to walk. It was so paniful, I even got DH's crutches out. A shot of cortisone, and 3 shots of Euflexxa fixed it for the time being. Oh and a very expensive brace.

Now the other knee is starting the same thing....

So it may be time to seek medical help for you.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depending on symptoms (swelling, warm to touch), could also be psuedogout. The only way to figure out if that's the case is to get an x-ray and pull fluid from the joint. And the only treatment is pain managemnet.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
In the absence of a definitive injury (see your orthopod to answer that question obviously) I'm a big believer in how much your hip function affect your knees. There are a lot of strengthening and stretching exercises you can do that will make your knees and hips work better. Also the biking I do over the summer has a big effect on how my knees do in the winter.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Drive on up & see me this week. I’ll sort ya out!

I agree in if you can hitting an expert.

Kids had various issues that drove to others.

Essentially a PT helped diagnosing the base issue that p promoted a recovery.

Only cost saving comment is to make sure the PT is up to a therapy that is out a bit ... not 2ce a week .. if you're on a high deductible. Kids PT wanted 2ce a week just mostly to check progress. But some progress takes a few weeks to see an improvement.

@Brian Finch , maybe some guidance... Pts are great however, kid is doing great now due to PTs

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Happy to help, there’s nothing more futile than not having a direction in your rehabilitation. I see it all the time. Folks spend a lot of time doing exercising/stretching/work, that doesn’t directly impact what they think it does and it leads to frustration and quitting activities people like to enjoy.

Sponsor

Staff online