• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wd-40 on edges?

Ozan

Booting up
Skier
I see that some sort of liquid/lubricant is recommended using diamond stones on edges. Can wd-40 be used for such purpose?

Also at the end of season will it help putting a bit of wd40 on edges to prevent rusting?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
WD-40 is essentially kerosene. I wouldn't leave it in contact with your base. I agree with Jilly, wax is preferable.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The second question has been answered.

As to the first question, a 50/50 water-isopropyl alcohol mixture is the preferred lubricant. Some people use a weak dishwashing detergent solution instead, though I've never tried it. On trips when I didn't have anything else, I've used plain water. That works, but you have to refresh (dip your stone in the water) much more frequently.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
a 50/50 water-...alcohol mixture is the preferred lubricant. ... On trips when I didn't have anything else, I've used plain water. That works, but you have to refresh ... much more frequently.

Okay, now what about lubricating the edges?

TS
Ozan

Ozan

Booting up
Skier
Thx guys i guess i was hoping a substitute for isopropil alch but i found it online easy. And yes wax i think should work fine for anti rust

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Leaving wax on edges in a humid environment is not good during a storage period.
The wax will not really adhere to the metal edges.
Then it will lock moisture in against the steel leading to more rust.
Best thing is to store skis in a dry environment.
Good luck if you live where it is super humid.

If you do put some WD-40 (I would advise a silicone lube instead) just put some on a rag, and stroke the edges. Careful to not get on bases.
If you have a storage wax on the bases, less worry about that.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
WD-40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. Wax is the best as it seals.
WD-40 is Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's literally what WD-40 means and why it was created. But it has side benefits as an extremely light duty lubricant, cleaner, etc.

Wax will seal whatever residual moisture on the edges also from atmosphere, fingers, etc.

Throw in a silica gel desiccant in the ski bag in when you store it to control moisture.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
My experience with WD-40 is people using them in locks. No, you need graphite in key holes, not WD-40. It doesn't lubricate the pins in a cylinders. But you end up with a clean one...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wax is the best as it seals.
Actually not quite like that ;) After waxing, it's best to scrape wax off edges, as you "seal" moisture and dirt under wax and it's best way to have rusty edges. Edges should be dry and clean of wax when skis are stored. Of course it means skis should be stored in at least sort of dry environment.
As for diamond lubrication, I normally use 25% alcohol 75% water solution.

Reactions: NE1

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
WD-40 is essentially kerosene. I wouldn't leave it in contact with your base. I agree with Jilly, wax is preferable.
No, that is a myth, it also does not contain fish oil, another myth.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Used WD40 on my snow shovel last week. Worked great to keep the snow from sticking.

Confession: I have used it to keep edges from rusting for off season ski storage. Worked fine.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm going to say everyone here is mostly right. I use storage wax or rubbed on wax for gear stored indoors with some climate control. If I were leaving them in a shed or garage or anywhere where the are likely to get wet or a LOT of condensation can happen to the point of beads of water actually running down the ski.. That's when any gap in the storage wax could invite that moisture in and make things worse. Storing gear outside of the climate controlled, 100% dry parts of the house I've used various oils to protect metal prone to rusting or pitting. It all depends on the storage location details.

Sponsor

Staff online