• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproof ski shell SLIM

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay. Been looking for a good shell for years now. Need suggestions. My ancient Marmot is well and truly dead.

Requirements:

• Really waterproof. Like, in actual rain.
  • Very slim fit. Many brands are a joke on me. I can't size down, generally, because I'm already a small. Flylow lab coat small :roflmao: Could put three of me in that thing. Same with many other models.
  • No orangutan arms. Arcteryx - no bueno.
  • Actually available to buy.
  • Under $400. (Euro brands seem to get sizing better, but stupid expensive.)
Nice to have:
  • soft / quiet fabric
  • two-way front zipper
  • powder skirt
  • cuff Velcro that doesn't wear out after a couple seasons
  • Interesting earthy but not muddy colors (like Arcteryx)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Eddie Bauer but it shell must be the Weather Edge shell to be fully water proof. I have one at least 10 years old still dry, a new one under $150 now on the web site. Have you tried a Jr. size, it could save you a lot of money?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kjus I guess.

Wiseguy in every crowd. ;)

Eddie Bauer but it shell must be the Weather Edge shell to be fully water proof. I have one at least 10 years old still dry, a new one under $150 now on the web site. Have you tried a Jr. size, it could save you a lot of money?

I'll check it out. Thanks!

James

Out There
Instructor

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
For the pricer they charge, Kjus is a joke. Inferior technology, fussy warranty, and if you buy from STP they just leave you cut and dry. You have been warned.

For a really slim fit you need to go to a european brand. The slimmest North American brand I know is Westcomb, top notch quality and fabrics. Westcomb Apoc is probably the best jacket on the market, even though it does not have a powder skirt. The fabric is pretty thin on it, so its more of a backcountry jacket. Another very slim fitting jacket was Black Diamond. Pretty nice quality but also no powder skirt. I have not used my powder skirt for three year now (and I had powder days in that interval).

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
$$$'y would wait for off season sale but did you try TNF Summit L5?

Misses on color and cut for serious mesomorphs. Sim body / roomy chest which even if you're not built like an Olympic swimmer is good for range of motion.

To give you a idea of fit, I have a TNF Enzo shell in a size medium which is slim fitting, why I chose it over the boxy TNF Free Thinker shell size M. Summit L5 size M is very slim fitting on me, much more so then the Enzo. L5 size M is fine with a single Smartwool 250g base layer, I couldn't comfortably fit a down mid-layer under it.

Currently the best I've found has been the -20% full REI is running -
https://www.rei.com/product/897950/...-8979500002&CAWELAID=120217890001578827&lsft=

James

Out There
Instructor
For the pricer they charge, Kjus is a joke. Inferior technology, fussy warranty, and if you buy from STP they just leave you cut and dry. You have been warned.

For a really slim fit you need to go to a european brand. The slimmest North American brand I know is Westcomb, top notch quality and fabrics. Westcomb Apoc is probably the best jacket on the market, even though it does not have a powder skirt. The fabric is pretty thin on it, so its more of a backcountry jacket. Another very slim fitting jacket was Black Diamond. Pretty nice quality but also no powder skirt. I have not used my powder skirt for three year now (and I had powder days in that interval).
What about Mountain Force? Ex Kjus people may be even more expensive.

The westcomb apoc is on sale if you can use the small.
http://www.backcountry.com/westcomb-apoc-jacket-mens?rr=t

Talk about weird dealers in the US East!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the tips. I can Google with the best, so really appreciating the first hand input about specific items, and input from other skinny folks. Alex, Westcomb had not been I my radar, so thanks. Neon, you have a similar build, so helpful. Got a couple irons in the fire now with spring sales. We'll see how it goes.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a skinny dude myself, I've had good luck with Outdoor Research.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a skinny dude myself, I've had good luck with Outdoor Research.

Yeah, I have a thin puffy from them that fits great. Very rarely seen to try on in my area for some reason. Everyone has their gloves and mittens and gaiters, but no one has jackets. Nevertheless, since I'm more or less resigned to online at this point, I'll pay closer attention to that brand.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried the OR Floodlight size Small, it fit pretty good, roomy but not boxy, whereas most size Small jackets across many brands are either terribly tight at the neck and or armpits. For instance Mammut run slim but the neckline of everything I tried strangles me, and in a Medium. Iirc, there was a Small OR Goretex shell which was flat out too small for me. If I'm by REI in the next few days I stop in and confirm that. I still think you should try Marmot. All the high end shells I tried at the Marmot store this past fall had a very European slim fit. Especially so of the Alpinist which the salesmen said is a closer cut because it was designed more for climbers.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Marmot and an OR, both awesome shells. I can't decide which I like more... maybe the Marmot, just slightly.

The Marmot is a Spire, older model. The OR is Inertia, both Small size, fit perfectly - I am (some say "was") skinny.

Actually my avatar is with the OR. Both great quality and nothing to complain about.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I have longer arms - so the Rush Arcteryx works - it's slimmer than most. Also, check out Peak Performance or Norrona - tall skinny folks from Scandinavia - whistler peak performance store does mail order. Not sure of usd -> cad this year, was good last winter.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there quiet such thing as quiet waterproof shell or is that an oxymoron?

I'm also a huge fan of Outdoor Research based in Seattle like David. Truly infinity guarantee and outstanding customer service. SO (5'6" 135#) wears 28 waist OR soft shell pants and S/P Mountain Hardware soft shell jacket, both slim fitting and have earned tons of compliments- not exactly waterproof but just ideas for brands. However, the Patagonia hardshell he bought last year has the orangutan sleeves.

You might just call OR in Seattle or Black Diamond in SLC directly with your specs and ask them for the style/model that would fit your criteria.

Just took advantage of junior size myself on a great pair of Sorel boots for $50 this morning, go for it!

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Polartec NeoShell is pretty dang quiet, rather I should say the 3L NeoShell EB First Ascent Neoteric shell I have is. Boxy fit so i didn't recommend it, but useful features and nice workmanship. Imo, a very good value when on sale.
So far I've been liking the fabric. Had been wanting to try NeoShell since reading the press when it first hit the market.

Sponsor

Staff online